5,843 posts in this topic

Doctor who pleaded for more hospital PPE dies of coronavirus

A hospital consultant has died from the coronavirus weeks after pleading to the prime minister for more personal protective equipment for frontline staff.

Abdul Mabud Chowdhury, a consultant urologist at Homerton hospital in Hackney east London, died after spending 15 days in Queens hospital, Romford. ...

Chowdhury, who was born in Bangladesh, was 53 and had no underlying health conditions.

I posted on Facebook the other day wondering why otherwise healthy medics were dying and whether this was because they were being exposed to more of the virus than the average person. This prompted forehead slapping, replies of "yes, of course!" and "are you for real?", etc. But it seems that the scientific community themselves don't know the answer yet.

Why do some young people die of coronavirus?

It remains one of the biggest puzzles of the Covid-19 pandemic. The disease generally causes serious problems only in older people or those with underlying health problems. But occasionally it strikes down young, apparently fit individuals, including medical staff exposed to patients with the virus. ...

Several theories have been proposed. Some researchers believe the amount of virus that infects an individual may have crucial outcomes. Get a huge dose and your outcome may be worse. Others argue that genetic susceptibility may be involved: in other words, that there are individuals whose genetic makeup leaves them more vulnerable to the virus as it spreads through their bodies.

17 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

Doctor who pleaded for more hospital PPE dies of coronavirus

I posted on Facebook the other day wondering why otherwise healthy medics were dying and whether this was because they were being exposed to more of the virus than the average person. This prompted forehead slapping, replies of "yes, of course!" and "are you for real?", etc. But it seems that the scientific community themselves don't know the answer yet.

Why do some young people die of coronavirus?

It's truly terrible. My guess is because a lot of them are doing really long shifts and are unable to rest. They get infected and keep working. Their body doesn't have a chance. :( Also lack of non protective clothing and as you said, being exposed to large amounts of the virus.

2 hours ago, Dembo said:

Just watching a news report on the results from Heinsberg. They tested 1,000 people and found 50% were infected, much more than expected. Which puts the death rate at around 0.37%.  

Auf Detusch, but it's worth watching from 3 mins just to see the guy's beard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7JsJ2X8q20

Here is an English summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EUZEtJHQhE

A study from Austria:

Less than 1% of Austrians infected with coronavirus, new study shows

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/10/less-than-1-of-austria-infected-with-coronavirus-new-study-shows

"Less than 1% of the Austrian population is “acutely infected” with coronavirus, new research, based on testing a representative sample of more than 1,500 people, suggests.

The government-commissioned study, reportedly the first of its kind in continental Europe, was led by the polling company Sora, which is known for projecting election results, in cooperation with the Red Cross, the Medical University of Vienna, and other institutions.

The study made it possible to estimate the prevalence of acute coronavirus infections in Austria among those not in hospital at the beginning of April 2020, and was designed to provide a clearer picture of the total number of infections, given gaps in testing."

Herd immunity is achieved, when more than 60% have antibodies. How many years are necessary to get to thet point?

10 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Also there are people with 2 fingers of forehead 

Hahahaha this made my day

26 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

A study from Austria:

Less than 1% of Austrians infected with coronavirus, new study shows

But that one was just people who are actively infected. I.e. they didn't check for antibodies to catch people who'd already been infected and recovered like the other (possibly dubious) study.

Even if it's true the death rate is only 0.37% that's still 300 odd thousand people in Germany and nobody wants that. So going for herd immunity is really not an option.

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

Even if it's true the death rate is only 0.37% that's still 300 odd thousand people in Germany and nobody wants that. So going for herd immunity is really not an option.

That 0.37% death rate is just an average figure. If you are a bloke it will be higher, if you are above a certain age it will be higher, if you have underlying health issues it will be higher and if you live in certain areas it will be higher. 

On 4/9/2020, 9:44:11, jeba said:

I could think of more factors explaining the difference. E. g.

- availability of ICU beds / ventilators

- demographics of those infected (young holidaymakers and their social circles vs. elderly residents)

- cultural differnces (kissing on the cheek for greeting vs. nod from a distance, 3 generations living together vs. more single households)

- obedience to lockdown rules

- availability of tests

- availability of "corona taxis"

All reasons I'm grateful to be living in Germany, especially the higher numbers of ICU beds/ventilators. 

Doesn't mean to say we should be getting slack with social distancing though. 

12 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Sorry, but that "EU ending" bullshit must stop! People think the EU is a fragile and detached thing while in fact there is a very deep dependency between EU members that cannot be easily broken. Look at Brexit!

Also there are people with 2 fingers of forehead on each government that know that each country acting alone would have no leverage on the world stage. For better or worst, the EU will stay for decades. Potentially even with tighter integration.

Let's remember that there is much more public support for the European Union than for individual governments.

And finally: no country would start an exit process during a crisis!

So let's stop this EU break up nonsense.

Agreed. The EU will not fall apart for 2 main reasons. Business, especially German business,  will be desparate to keep goods flowing across the internal market, and freedom of movement is now a way of life for Europeans. 

22 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

Varadkar extends Irish lockdown to May 5th. Sigh.

Be prepared for a futher extension.  You cannot negociate with a virus (esp. one such as this).

Yes, HEM! 🙁

I just hope we all get through this but with some common sense. I read somewhere today about a policewoman in Yorkshire telling a man to stop sitting in his own garden with no one nearby. A sense of proportion is also required.

well, before someone* comes along to say, "I told you so" <_< here is your mass grave.  Apparently in actual fact.

While I won't apologize for holes dug a month ago, I'm starting to wonder if we haven't been, to some degree perhaps, shortchanging someone2 just because their sources are dodgy: this piece from CBS claims that there are tens of thousands of beds and the capacity to treat thousands more people than are actually being treated in NYC.

"Unclaimed dead," or in other words, bodies that have been at the morgue for two weeks without anyone coming to collect them, are being buried together on an island near the Bronx.

I don't know how to feel.  Lock me up, is it actually a conspiracy and am I actually promulgating it here?  Bizarro world shit.

Images show mass burials at NYC public cemetery as city shortens deadline for claiming dead

1 hour ago, john g. said:

I read somewhere today about a policewoman in Yorkshire telling a man to stop sitting in his own garden with no one nearby.

That stuff is so annoying - then everyone will get pissed off and go snog random strangers.

We are like that in GB though, the rule is made, a wodge of people ignore, a wodge of people follow it extremely assiduously, a wodge of people follow it sensibly, and then a significant few expend their energies on getting their knickers in a twist over people who are in fact fine, and not a danger to themselves or anyone else, whereas a cornoaparty is going on around the corner.

26 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I don't know how to feel.  Lock me up, is it actually a conspiracy and am I actually promulgating it here?  Bizarro world shit.

I was reading that with interest this morning - they do make the honest point that they don't really know what the dead people in the coffins died of, but going from one working day a week to five, and having to get outside contractors in seems difficult to pass of as a nasty case of the squits. Strange times, indeed.

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

well, before someone* comes along to say, "I told you so" <_< here is your mass grave.  Apparently in actual fact.

While I won't apologize for holes dug a month ago, I'm starting to wonder if we haven't been, to some degree perhaps, shortchanging someone2 just because their sources are dodgy: this piece from CBS claims that there are tens of thousands of beds and the capacity to treat thousands more people than are actually being treated in NYC.

"Unclaimed dead," or in other words, bodies that have been at the morgue for two weeks without anyone coming to collect them, are being buried together on an island near the Bronx.

I wouldn't see it that way.

Hart Island has been the New York cemetary for the poor, the homeless, the unidentified and/or unclaimed dead, and yes, the diseased (cholera, Spanish flu, smallpox, malnutrition etc.) for over a hundred years, the first burials being probably from the Civil War.

Yes, it's a mass grave, but not a new one, and certainly not a hidden one requiring a conspiracy theory or investigative journalism.

The first AIDS victims were buried there, too, alongside of (a claim by Wikipedia) close to a MILLION other New Yorkers since 1880 or so.

And now, sad but true and rather normal, Covid-19 victims unclaimed by poor or overwhelmed families will go there too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_Island,_New_York

(BTW, any major city in Germany has a mass grave for the local poor and the human bits and pieces left over from medical research. Yes, they get buried.)

Where else should they put them when the morgues and funeral homes are overwhelmed? Potter's Field is well known in the U.S.

I saw a show the other day that said they are being mapped and showed guys writing names on the boxes so that they can be moved at a later date.

The big deal is how many have died/are dying not where they are interring the bodies. It's terribly sad that they can't have proper funerals and such but themz the rulz now.

The good news is that the curve seems to be leveling out in NYC. The social distancing, etc. is working. I watched Cuomo's presser today. I want to have his babies.

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The good news is that the curve seems to be leveling out in NYC. The social distancing, etc. is working. I watched Cuomo's presser today. I want to have his babies.

Sorry, to late for this. ;)

Life will go on long after we are gone. Just one other dilemma to out last for humanity.