6,154 posts in this topic

I don't know how many here have access to UK TV channels or BBC Iplayer, but there was a really interesting programme onBBC 4 last night  - "secret universe : the hidden life of the cell" illustrating how a virus can infect us and how the body fights back. I highly recommend it - there are some unbelievable things that happen like the virus hijacking the cell's transport mechanism to create a set of  "legs" that walk it to the cell nucleus. Amazing stuff. You cna also find it online :  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzh0kb

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Indeed.  It’s a crisis.  That was, in fact, the other word I used.

Ok.well I would say an event of this gravity does not happen every other month, either. 

What I find interesting is how you can see the truth of how people are. I read about people taking the time to report others to police accusing them of breaking the curfew and only pretend to go shopping without reason. You know there is a difference between reporting a party and reporting people of not doing things the way you are doing it. Its just ugly to do the latter. There seem to be people running about chatting to others about someone allegedly having Covid-19 and still be running around. Just so you know to better stay away from them...  heres your true colours.

4 hours ago, Dembo said:

WHS. You used to hear the same thing constantly in 2008/2009: Greece had no choice but to leave, the Euro would collapse and the EU would follow. The same people were claiming a few years later that Brexit would cause all the other members to want to leave and form a new trading arrangement that only involved doing what Britain wants without wanting anything in return. All fantasy of course. 

The IMF has already said that this crisis is "way worse" than the global financial crisis. Plus there's this:

Coronavirus could be final straw for EU, European experts warn

"Leaders are warned that if division prevails, pandemic will be more destructive than Brexit, migration and bailout crises"

Edit: feeling slightly less pessimistic after seeing this news just in: EU ministers make breakthrough on coronavirus economic response

7 hours ago, Lorelei said:

Coronavirus could be final straw for EU, European experts warn

"Leaders are warned that if division prevails, pandemic will be more destructive than Brexit, migration and bailout crises"

Edit: feeling slightly less pessimistic after seeing this news just in: EU ministers make breakthrough on coronavirus economic response

Sorry, but that "EU ending" bullshit must stop! People think the EU is a fragile and detached thing while in fact there is a very deep dependency between EU members that cannot be easily broken. Look at Brexit!

Also there are people with 2 fingers of forehead on each government that know that each country acting alone would have no leverage on the world stage. For better or worst, the EU will stay for decades. Potentially even with tighter integration.

Let's remember that there is much more public support for the European Union than for individual governments.

And finally: no country would start an exit process during a crisis!

So let's stop this EU break up nonsense.

I understand Conte's frustration however. This is not like the financial crisis where countries including my own had a poor relationship with cheap credit and brought most of the misery upon themselves. The worst effects of the financial crisis could have been prevented. This is different. This is more along the lines of a natural disaster. There can be no finger waving about this.

Italy got caught out with being an early epicenter and some medics failed to recognise this as Covid 19. That's it. Spain as far as I know didn't make any big "mistakes" either. 

I fully support my taxes raised in Ireland and Germany being used to support our friends and partners in the worst hit member states. 

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

The worst effects of the financial crisis could have been prevented. This is different. This is more along the lines of a natural disaster. There can be no finger waving about this.. 

What he said. Recessions tend to be self-fulfilling prophecies (i.e. everybody hears there's a recession and stops spending money or investing). This is different. There could well be a boom when this is over. If nothing else, millions of people who've been cooped for months will want to go on holiday. 

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

There could well be a boom when this is over.

I doubt it. There will be structural changes and lots of people without the means to pay for holidays.

1 minute ago, jeba said:

I doubt it. There will be structural changes and lots of people without the means to pay for holidays.

A lot of people are sitting on vouchers now for cancelled holidays. Probably millions. They will be using them at some point.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

A lot of people are sitting on vouchers now for cancelled holidays. Probably millions. They will be using them at some point.

Or they´ll wait until the end of next year when they can get their money back beause they can´t afford holidays anymore.

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

I understand Conte's frustration however.

This is a basic negotiation tactic. You exaggerate your leverage so that later you lower your demands and you get what you want.

2 hours ago, Dembo said:

What he said. Recessions tend to be self-fulfilling prophecies (i.e. everybody hears there's a recession and stops spending money or investing). This is different. There could well be a boom when this is over. If nothing else, millions of people who've been cooped for months will want to go on holiday. 

My Asian customers, especially in Korea, are manufacturing like crazies for the boom to come.

Here are the reasons:

1) There will definitely be a boom because people are sitting on cash, postponing investments, holidays, etc.

When this is mitigated, people will want to enjoy and there will be at the very  minimum a short term boom but most likely a mid term boom.

2) There is "free" money right now. States are printing money like crazy and lending it to companies to keep them afloat. This will provide a huge boom when things resume to normal. Of course in the long run it can create a crisis by itself.

3) Crisis stir the economy. They get rid of inefficient companies and give room to better ones.

4) This crisis showed the fragility of oil prices and investments. Combined with public pressure, I think investment will go away from fossil fuels. This is of course very good for Europe/China, okeyish for US and very bad for Russia, Venezuela, etc. Remember: oil is investment-rich, meaning if people are not willing to invest on it, it collapses. This will create a long term boom in EU and China.

Just watching a news report on the results from Heinsberg. They tested 1,000 people and found 50% were infected, much more than expected. Which puts the death rate at around 0.37%.  

Auf Detusch, but it's worth watching from 3 mins just to see the guy's beard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7JsJ2X8q20

4 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

15 not 50 percent.

Yes, that's what I heard several times.

2 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

15 not 50 percent.

Yes, based on my limited German skills, I think they said that 1000 people were tested, and the evaluation of half of the tests found that 15 % were infected. Maybe someone with better German skills can confirm. It's around the 1 min mark.

And it seems a weird way of conveying simple news items. Who writes this kind of language?

26 minutes ago, Dembo said:

it's worth watching from 3 mins just to see the guy's beard

:lol:  - it is rather good!

11 minutes ago, MunichDesi said:

Yes, based on my limited German skills, I think they said that 1000 people were tested, and the evaluation of half of the tests found that 15 % were infected. Maybe someone with better German skills can confirm. It's around the 1 min mark.

And it seems a weird way of conveying simple news items. Who writes this kind of language?

15% of those tested were infected, which the link @snowingagain posted confirms black on white. 

37 minutes ago, MunichDesi said:

Oh FFS - yes it does say that. Must try harder.