5,814 posts in this topic

We all think the world is overpopulated and we all want a vaccine.

WTF is your point?

Oh yea, you don't have one as usual.

Presumably he will refuse vaccination as he knows 'better', which is a self-solving problem ;)

Ah but he wants to inject a digital ID into your body with a number. Then tattoo you that you are injected. Sounds familiar. Do any of you know who Bill Gates father is? Nice man.

2 hours ago, cybil said:

1920s in America was both liberal (women got the vote, migration of African Americans out of the South and into the North) but also conservative (Ku Klux Klan, stricter immigration laws, Prohibition). 

Well, sure - during times of liberalism there is typically a conservative element, and during times of conservatism there is (most of the time, anyway) a liberal element.  Such is human nature.

And there definitely have been instances of extreme conservatism after a pandemic.  After the Plague of Justinian, Emperor Justinian went into full religious nutcase mode.  However, as noted, there have been significant instances of exactly the opposite - humanism developed and flourished during the post-pandemic Renaissance, which led to the Age of Enlightenment; and as you noted, in 1920s US (and in 1920s Germany) a period of liberalism dominated post-pandemic.

So, I I am not very impressed with the viewpoint espoused by the author @Lorelei mentioned.

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

We all think the world is overpopulated and we all want a vaccine.

WTF is your point?

Oh yea, you don't have one as usual.

Do we all think the world is overpopulated? I reckon we could all do without people having 10 kids without a thought how to feed them.

I come from a family with millions of kids- ok, a bit over the top. My mum had 14 brothers and sisters. Ok, no birth control back then.

A brother of mine had 6. Fine.

I had one.

Why introduce kids into this world if you cannot take responsibility? Who pays?

Somebody else.

10 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Interesting.  That opinion  seems diametrically opposed to what actally happened after some major pandemics ... the Roaring Twenties/Golden Twenties after the Spanish Flu.

The early 1920s presented some of the most challenging conditions in several countries.    I would guess that in much of Europe the conditions were a product of WWI rather than the pandemic. 

In the US, there was a post war depression resulting in a lot of unemployed workers and ruined farmers.   It doesn't get the attention it deserves as it is overshadowed by the depression of the 1930s.  

Germany's hyperinflation until early 1924 and the accompanying misery is legendary.  Austria, Hungary, Russia, and Poland also experienced hyperinflation around this time.    The financial mechanisms from an external power which enabled the Roaring Twenties in Germany are discussed on other boards.    Suffice it to say, the dark times of 1922-23 had a profound and enduring effect.   That memory had an enormous impact in the early 1930s. 

Without going into too much detail, looking at the 1920s playbook to see what is coming is no longer simply a thought experiment.   Government intervention,  supply chain damage and/or reconfiguration and mass unemployment will probably provide some unpleasant surprises.   That is a dark path, but one that cannot be dismissed.

7 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Ah but he wants to inject a digital ID into your body with a number. Then tattoo you that you are injected. Sounds familiar. Do any of you know who Bill Gates father is? Nice man.

Bill Gates' record is mixed.   Anyone who doubts that he is absolutely ruthless should look at his record from the eighties and nineties.   His foundation has done some good things, but to many, he is the face of a modern day eugenics comparable to movements in the 1920s in the US and the UK.   

His support for tech which would lead to a universal digital ID is quite public even if your vocal and very loyal fanclub here on TT reflexively rejects everything you write. 

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/aadhaar-doesnt-pose-any-privacy-issue-gates/articleshow/64012833.cms

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-denies-biometric-id-breaches-human-rights-2018-5?r=DE&IR=T

Trump says he's going to pull funding from the WHO because they didn't give enough warning about COVID-19. That empty threat lasted for an entire 16 minutes. That mook. What laughingstocks he and his supporters are.

EVDRZMdWkAABUKH.png

An Internal White House Memo Warned of Large-Scale Coronavirus Deaths Months Ago

As you’ve probably heard by now, one of the key reasons the United States has become the global epicenter of the coronavirus crisis is because of the federal government’s refusal to take the pandemic seriously (in addition to a criminal lack of testing and an outrageous shortage of medical supplies including masks and ventilators). Of course, Donald Trump’s months-long insistence that the virus was no big deal came despite dire warnings from the World Health Organization—which classified COVID-19 as an international health emergency on January 30—public health experts, other countries, and his own intelligence briefings. And, as we now know, the West Wing was also warned of mass deaths and catastrophic economic costs as early as January, by someone on the inside.

The New York Times reports that in late January, White House trade adviser Peter Navarro wrote in a memo that the virus then engulfing China could stand to kill half a million Americans due to the “lack of immune protection or an existing cure or vaccine,” a situation that elevated the risk of the coronavirus “evolving into a full-blown pandemic.” At the time, he called for an “immediate travel ban on China.” (The memo was dated January 29; more than six weeks later, Trump was still claiming the “fake-news media” was doing everything in its power to “inflame the Coronavirus situation,” and that “the risk is low to the average American.”)

In a second memo a month later, Navarro reportedly warnedthat as many as 2 million Americans could die from COVID-19. At this point, he urged the administration to ask Congress for billions to fight the pandemic, writing, “This is NOT a time for penny-pinching or horse trading on the Hill.” He noted that over a four-to-six-month period, the U.S. would likely need “at least a billion face masks, 200,000 Tyvek suits, and 11,000 ventilator circuits, and 25,000 PAPRs (powered air-purifying respirators.)” Noting the history of pandemic flus, he added: “This historical precedent alone should be sufficient to prove the need to take aggressive action to contain the outbreak.”

Trump has blood on his hands. This dumbass was laser-focused on golfing and rallies when he should have been doing his goddamn job. There is zero denying it.

14 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

There is zero denying it.

I am not sure you understand how lying works.

43 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Trump says he's going to pull funding from the WHO because they didn't give enough warning about COVID-19. That empty threat lasted for an entire 16 minutes. That mook. What laughingstocks he and his supporters are.

EVDRZMdWkAABUKH.png

That guy definitely has mental health issues if he either cannot remember what he wrote 16 minutes before or he is a connsumate liar or both. Bet he didn't bat an eyelid when he denied what he'd actually written.

5 minutes ago, French bean said:

That guy definitely has mental health issues if he either cannot remember what he wrote 16 minutes before or he is a connsumate liar or both. Bet he didn't bat an eyelid when he denied what he'd actually written.

This does not look "written", it seems to be from a "speech", probably a White House media briefing.

My error, I thought he had originally tweeted and someone was then questioning him about the tweet.

10 minutes ago, French bean said:

My error, I thought he had originally tweeted and someone was then questioning him about the tweet.

You can tell it's not a tweet due to the lack of spelling errors.

2 hours ago, balticus said:

His support for tech which would lead to a universal digital ID is quite public even if your vocal and very loyal fanclub here on TT reflexively rejects everything you write. 

Oh Bill Gates is the 2nd largest donor to the WHO. He is beyond comment. His Microsoft OS has held IT back 30 years. It is one of the leakiest virus ridden shittiest systems about. I think when this comes out about Gates there is gonna be a huge market for companies dumping their crash ridden MS systems and migrating to secure Ubuntu Linux, especially those who have migrated to home offices.

I bet there's one thing few have considered - how easy Wlan routers are to hack from outside. Nearly all of them have the factory settings on them with "admin" and guest" passwords! :)

9 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

You can tell it's not a tweet due to the lack of spelling errors.

Ah, like "covfefe" ?

13 hours ago, Sannerl said:

I haven't left the house in three weeks because I can't stand or walk for an extended amount of time (arthrosis in both knees) and would have to sit on a bench for a few minutes whenever possible. Not possible here, the police shoos you away and sends you home immediately. No sports for the handicapped.

I feel for your situation about needing a rest when taking exercise outside.  However, the longer this thing goes on, the longer the measures are needed.  The more people follow the measures for as long is as needed, the sooner we can all return to normal.  It won't go away in a day.  I don't understand how people can fail to see that.

Call the police or don't - but don't complain all the time in the latter case. Especially when you notice severe violations as you described.

Even if I took your comment to heart about what I am allowed to write or complain about on-topic in the correct thread and subforum :lol: it makes little sense to me to "take action."  The police are doing their rounds, and I know my neighbors--if I have noticed it, they have already called the police.  That's one.  Second, the police are already doing their rounds, with helicopters as well.  They can't be everywhere at once.  Third, by the time they've wasted resources taking the umpteenth call from my block about the group across the street and actually dispatched someone out here, the group is gone.  I am letting police handle the issue of people gathering in parks and public areas in the way they have repeatedly stated they would--by carrying out checks and issuing tickets themselves.  They are already on the job.  Period.

As for this part 

And you're welcome for the information in English.

I refer you to our TOS.  This is an English speaking forum.  Not only am I perfectly capable of comprehending quite complicated texts in German, you haven't done me any personal favors.  All information should be presented in English.  Always.

Hilarious how Fauci is so anti-hydrochloroquine, when oh dear, in 2013 he recommended it:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/18/scientists-develop-possible-treatment-for-new-sars-like-virus/2091443/

"We don't have to start designing new drugs," a process that takes years, Fauci says. "The next time someone comes into an emergency room in Qatar or Saudi Arabia, you would have drugs that are readily available. And at least you would have some data."

Oh dear.