6,203 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, engelchen said:

The decisions your president is making is costing YOUR fellow citizens their lives. How many more must die due to his incompetence? What is a little paperwork in comparison? 

Thousands have already died and thousands more will die before someone finds a vaccine/effective treatment. I personally value the lives of the nursing staff on the front lines more than many of the politicians who are causing more harm than good.

I understand what you are saying. I really do. Things were done too late and yes that has cost lives. But we can’t go back in time, sadly. I’m being simple and just saying I don’t want anyone to die. In the political sense, sadly, I think Trump will be reelected. I hate saying that, but a government changeover would not work at this time. I wish it would. I wish the US could make Fauci President, but there are so many other things that would need taking care of. Hell, I’d take Pence at this time, but that still would add extra work. 

33 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

The official messaging I've seen is that BoJo is on oxygen, but not a ventilator.

I have to admit that I was surprised by this news, because I long suspected that he was anaerobic.

I thought anaemic...

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

I guess the definition of intensive care varies somewhat between countries. Going into this the UK had half the ICU beds of Italy per capita so possibly only sicker people make it to ICU in the UK and the less sick are treated on a general ward while Italy admitted the less sick to ICU, thus the mortality rate in the UK ICU being up at 50%.

Either way it's a bad sign for Johnson if he's reached the place where you have a 50:50 chance of survival. While I wish anyone with Covid 19 well, I don't wish him well more than anyone else in his situation. He actually had some capacity to influence this and he boasted about defying the advice not to shake hands as well as allowing Cheltenham to take place (lots of people into horses are also into skiing in Northern Italy). Some less intelligent people will almost certainly have followed his stupid example and also since died of Covid 19!!

Trotzdem gute Besserung.

35 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Nobody said BJ was on a ventilator. The fact is there is a shortage of ICU beds at every level. 

If you read @Murphaph comment

he says you get a 50/50 chance if you if you go to ICU, but that's not true, you goto 50/50 if you goto a ventilator treatment.

He says Boris is in the 50/50 bracket, but everything I have seen in the news, says he is not. 

just saying

13 minutes ago, Metall said:

I thought anaemic...

Well, pond scum doesn't have any blood at all, so there's that.

bojo was the one who bragged about 'shaking everyone's hand', some things just have a habit of coming back to bite you in the arse... :rolleyes:

I don't read The Yokel. The content is worse than Bildzeitung, which is saying a lot.

5 hours ago, klingklang77 said:

I understand what you are saying. I really do. Things were done too late and yes that has cost lives. But we can’t go back in time, sadly. I’m being simple and just saying I don’t want anyone to die. In the political sense, sadly, I think Trump will be reelected. I hate saying that, but a government changeover would not work at this time. I wish it would. I wish the US could make Fauci President, but there are so many other things that would need taking care of. Hell, I’d take Pence at this time, but that still would add extra work. 

A woman who had written a book about pandemics was interviewed on the news the other day and was saying that in the aftermath of pandemics people have a tendency to become more politically conservative. If so, perhaps COVID19 will actually help Trump. Checking his approval ratings, they actually seem to be the highest they've been for a while.

29 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

A woman who had written a book about pandemics was interviewed on the news the other day and was saying that in the aftermath of pandemics people have a tendency to become more politically conservative. If so, perhaps COVID19 will actually help Trump. Checking his approval ratings, they actually seem to be the highest they've been for a while.

More conservative or more authoritarian?

59 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

A woman who had written a book about pandemics was interviewed on the news the other day and was saying that in the aftermath of pandemics people have a tendency to become more politically conservative.

Interesting.  That opinion  seems diametrically opposed to what actally happened after some major pandemics - the Renaissance after the Black Death, the Roaring Twenties/Golden Twenties after the Spanish Flu.

More good news from Italy, new infections down 3039, not seen since the 13/14 March, hopefully we should get a smooth slide down 250 deaths in the coming weeks

Very good new in China no deaths from CD-19, today

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Interesting.  That opinion  seems diametrically opposed to what actally happened after some major pandemics - the Renaissance after the Black Death, the Roaring Twenties/Golden Twenties after the Spanish Flu.

1920s in America was both liberal (women got the vote, migration of African Americans out of the South and into the North) but also conservative (Ku Klux Klan, stricter immigration laws, Prohibition). 

3 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

why sadly?

Because the reason is still there.

And you're welcome for the information in English.

Here, the police is too strict in some cases and too lax in others.

I haven't left the house in three weeks because I can't stand or walk for an extended amount of time (arthrosis in both knees) and would have to sit on a bench for a few minutes whenever possible. Not possible here, the police shoos you away and sends you home immediately. No sports for the handicapped.

Meeting no friends (not even one at a time), even when keeping your distance (which is mandatory!), but closely meeting complete strangers when buying groceries or using public transport...

I'm married and not alone, but loneliness is a big problem now. Especially for the elderly (see above).

Parties are forbidden anyway.

Call the police or don't - but don't complain all the time in the latter case. Especially when you notice severe violations as you described.

Of course she can complain - it's TT ;) 

Would a Sitzstock be stable enough for you to use on a walk? A friend of ours had one and life was transformed.

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

Of course she can complain - it's TT ;) 

Acting would be better...

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

Would a Sitzstock be stable enough for you to use on a walk? A friend of ours had one and life was transformed.

I would still have to balance that out using my knees. But thank you!