5,825 posts in this topic

Oh: and this:

Leo Varadkar re-registers as medical practitioner and plans to work one shift a week to help Ireland's healthcare staff during coronavirus crisis

(Sorry for large font; I just c&ped the headline.)

49 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

Seems Boris Johnson has gone to hospital now. I got a pop up in my news feed.

Didn't he say few weeks ago that we must be prepared to lose the loved ones?

28 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Then in this case I am not at all prepared. 

1 hour ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

He was thinking about his "traitor" brother and father.

16 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The big off topic complainer has now taken this thread deep down the rabbit hole. Just sayin.

Well, then report him. The mods are cleaning up daily from what they indicate.

8 hours ago, arunadasi said:

Seems Boris Johnson has gone to hospital now. I got a pop up in my news feed.

Confirmed: 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52177125

I wonder if he had to wait for hours in a corridor at an NHS hospital, or was shown straight to his private room with a ventilator reserved just for him?

Or am I being too cynical?

Germany's new cases dropped quite a bit again yesterday. Although it went down and went back up again, the last 10 days look fairly stable and the number of deaths has been about the same for a few days. 

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

I wonder if he had to wait for hours in a corridor at an NHS hospital, or was shown straight to his private room with a ventilator reserved just for him?

Or am I being too cynical?

To be fair, he is the PM. He has an important role to play. No way he could or should be treated like Bob Jones of Clapham.

48 minutes ago, Dembo said:

If you really think that would happen Dembo then you should probably change your call sign to Dumbo! 

58 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

To be fair, he is the PM. He has an important role to play. No way he could or should be treated like Bob Jones of Peterborough.

Agree totally, if he died it would throw the country into chaos, would there be a leadership race, who'd take over etc.

Anyone else noticed the massive disinformation campaign going on in the US. Not sure if it's being funded by the Russians Chinese or the Republicans but this is fairly typical of what you'll see. 

My son had to go to the hospital with an eye issue yesterday. There was 1 person in the waiting room. My son got right in no waiting. His nurse said they have never been slower. I was about to shoot a video of the lobby but security said that wasn’t allowed. Thinking face #filmmyhospital

-or this-

2 weeks ago it was social distancing for 2 Wks. No mask. Now it’s another month with mask and gloves if you walk out of your door for ESSENTIALS only. What’s next? The hospital here is empty. Yet the restrictions are getting more and more intense. I have ?’s...

Via Aubrey Huff Former SF Giants player

I could go on all day quoting twitter and FB posts I've seen

Than of course there's all the "this is really no different than the flu" or 10 times as many people die from the flu as have from the Wuhan virus and we never shut down the country. Someone even went as far to film a section of a NY hospital to prove how this is as fake as the moon landing. Unlike the birther controversy when people die they really die.  

3 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

Agree totally, if he died it would throw the country into chaos, would there be a leadership race, who'd take over etc.

Have you not noticed the whole world is in Chaos?

10 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

Well - the UK has had plenty of practice recently (chaos, leadership races...)

5 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

Anyone else noticed the massive disinformation campaign going on in the US. Not sure if it's being funded by the Russians Chinese or the Republicans but this is fairly typical of what you'll see. 

I saw a post on facebook about how the Chinese engineered the virus in retaliation against Trump for the import tariffs and there was something too about Trump having been excellently prepared until Nancy Pelosi tore up his speech and therefore somehow undid him.  I couldn't be bothered to read through all that nonsense.  Should I repost?  Could be good entertainment here but I wouldn't want anyone to start taking that seriously.

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

To be fair, he is the PM. He has an important role to play. No way he could or should be treated like Bob Jones of Clapham.

If there wasn't a deadly virus going on and he'd just broken his leg or something, I would say he should be treated exactly like Bob Jones of Clapham.  Politicians need to know how healthcare looks to the public.  That way, they realize how it looks when they cut the funding for it.

22 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

It's a fair point that he's PM and does get some special treatment, but it wouldn't throw the country into Chaos if Boris snuffed it. Whoever the deputy is would take over in the short term and nobody would notice any difference. In the long term we might have yet another tedious Conservative leadership contest, but it's only going to be one of the other Brexiteers that'll win and again nobody will notice any difference. 

14 hours ago, murphaph said:

Hopefully the mortalities will decay exponentially once they reduce to the point where the health service is no longer overwhelmed and can treat everyone that needs treatment.

is there any kind of process which exhibits 'exponential decay' though? Maybe the falling into history of a previous exponential growth, perhaps?

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

Of course he should. Particularly now in this crisis he should put his money where his mouth is and show that the NHS is working for Everyman. People would respect that.

He is way less useful in this crisis than a healthcare worker.

If he dropped dead it would be completely insignificant. He has made rubbish decisions and a rubber duck would have been better. In the interim period before the Tories found themselves another twit to lead, government would rumble on...

The Irish guy is an inspiration and I hope he stays safe, doing the right thing.