4,870 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, jeba said:

Nothing strange here. I always believe that politicians in charge are the mirror/proxy of their own people. Trump is there because a lot of americans liked him, trusted hum and consequently voted him.

30 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Didn't need one before Trump. 

Next question.

Do you notice that all the presidents that need a team of apologists are Republicans?

55 minutes ago, balticus said:

His name was George W. Bush.   Maybe you haven't been here very long.   

Anybody here agree with me that George W Bush now seems almost cute and cuddly? 

21 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Do you notice that all the presidents that need a team of apologists are Republicans?

Democrat Jimmy Carter was considered an idiot by Helmut Schmidt (i don't agree by the way).   Republican Ronald Reagan was loathed by the Germans while he was making bold moves to win the Cold War which benefitted Germany enormously.  If i were a US American, I wouldn't worry too much about what the Germans think because while critical, they aren't too sharp at predicting the outcomes.   Also, don't expect them to admit that they were totally wrong about RR.  

Gen 68 in Germany and the unrest that inspired young people all over the world to take the streets in 1968 had one galvanizing issue:   the increase of US troops in Vietnam by then US POTUS, Democrat Lyndon B. Johnson. 

You will need to read some books for details.   

Very good news from Italy, a drop to 525 deaths! If no surprises occur, I predict daily deaths go below 50 between 4 to 10 days from now!

After that, we can stop looking at death stats and refocus on new cases!

There is however a simulation where it drops well until 250 deaths and then stays there for long... let's see!

Hopefully the mortalities will decay exponentially once they reduce to the point where the health service is no longer overwhelmed and can treat everyone that needs treatment.

6 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Not sure what you're problem is there? From the pic of Primrose hill it can clearly be seen that people in the foreground are keeping a distance and I would say resting after exercise, a number of bikes there, nobody even half naked sunbathing or having a picnic.

Yeah that's why I posted this, rules seem a bit misunderstood. Are you allowed to be out or not.  The issue seems to be people taking advantage of the beautiful weather. You can be out I think. 

the politician who got caught breaking the very rules she announced apologised.  Pretty stupid if you ask me. 

Here in Hessen most people seem to be sticking to the rules, loads of families out and about. One couple made comments when we crossed the street to avoid them. 

saw this on FB quite true

SCARY BUT SO TRUE!!!!!

TRAFFIC is gone, LONG LINES are gone.

GAS is affordable, BILLS extended.

KIDS are at home with their FAMILIES, PARENTS are home taking care of their CHILDREN.

FAST FOOD replaced by HOME COOKED MEALS, hectic SCHEDULES replaced by NAPS.

The AIR seems CLEANER, the WORLD QUIETER.

PEOPLE are conscious about HYGIENE and HEALTH again.

MONEY doesn't seem to make the WORLD GO ROUND anymore.

And WE now have TIME, finally, to STOP and SMELL the ROSES.

It seems like this COVID-19 is a RESET BUTTON for HUMANITY!!!

#copypaste

The lockdowns are working but how do we begin to come out of lockdown? I guess we need to start testing people more broadly and those who have antibodies get some special pass to allow them to return to work.

Or do we all come in out of lockdown and then have very swift local lockdowns with strict contact tracing?

Send them to Frankfurt...   No fucker there seems to be following any regs...  

I reported 2 famillies who met at the small play area next the house where my daughter lives!

There a huge signs saying the play arrea is closed... 

WTF are folks thinking? 

23 minutes ago, murphaph said:

guess we need to start testing people more broadly and those who have antibodies get some special pass to allow them to return to work.

Someone sent me this article a while ago @murphaph  

Not sure if I put it up here before or not. Also don't know if it is factual in any way.

14 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

I volunteered with a local charity

tomorrow I am helping a local lady (diagnosed COVID) who has a daughter in a wheelchair - both in isolation - picking up slips from 3 doctors and delivering them to apothekes around the city. Hopefully they will then deliver to her.

She will leave it all in an envelope at her door.

Feels good to be helping.

Good for you, oscar!🙏🏻👍🏼
Do folks in Germany right now have to fill in a special form or send an SMS to the authorities to run errands like that?

Here you do now and have to wait for an SMS confirmation before leaving home.

9 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

tomorrow I am helping a local lady (diagnosed COVID) who has a daughter in a wheelchair - both in isolation - picking up slips from 3 doctors and delivering them to apothekes around the city. Hopefully they will then deliver to her.

You have my admiration.

57 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

And WE now have TIME, finally, to STOP and SMELL the ROSES.

From 1.5 metres away...

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

The lockdowns are working but how do we begin to come out of lockdown? I guess we need to start testing people more broadly and those who have antibodies get some special pass to allow them to return to work.

Or do we all come in out of lockdown and then have very swift local lockdowns with strict contact tracing?

murphaph, there is an excellent youtube video about how to get out of the situation. Don't be too optimistic, the producer ( Mai Thi Nguyen-Kim ) of the video estimates one year from now.It's in German, but also with German subtitles. Online for three days and already 3 million views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z0gnXgK8Do

48 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

Well done, Oscar!

For any of you in the Munich area, wishing to help on a voluntary basis, the Münchner Merkur is coordinating helpers through this site:

https://www.merkur.de/lokales/starnberg/starnberg-ort29487/starnberg-coronavirus-lage-infizierte-faelle-tote-landkreis-ausbreitung-schulen-news-13591730.html

- the right-hand link just above the map.

Personally I have enough on my plate, what with work, fire brigade and shopping for the neighbours here, but I take my hat off to anybody else who wants to volunteer right now.

One more thing, the local Food Banks have closed down, and watching the news, I see that Gnaden Zäune have been removed - any ideas how to donate food to those who really need it?

36 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

murphaph, there is an excellent youtube video about how to get out of the situation. Don't be too optimistic, the producer ( Mai Thi Nguyen-Kim ) of the video estimates one year from now.It's in German, but also with German subtitles. Online for three days and already 3 million views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z0gnXgK8Do

Thank you for the link. I just watched it and it is really well done.