5,843 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I hope so, I have a few tubes of it for the horses I am sure none would notice if I got a bit as well :D 

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Number of infection is a number with a very high inaccuracy. Could be 20x bigger. On the other hand, number of deaths is much more accurate.

so are deaths, not everybody who dies is tested

it is only the people who are suspected of dying from COVID 19 are tested, the other are not so you do not have a reliable figure

its hard to predict what will happen when the data is not reliable, I expected to see infections to drop in Italy, from the measures introduced weeks ago. a couple of days of lower death figures is not enough

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

so are deaths, not everybody who dies is tested

it is only the people who are suspected of dying from COVID 19 are tested, the other are not so you do not have a reliable figure

While infected numbers might be wrong by a factor of 20, deaths can't be wrong by that much, not even close! Depending on the country, I guess between 5% and 100%, but not 2000%.

BTW, in Portugal ALL deaths from similar complications are tested. There I think the inaccuracy is well below 10%.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

in Portugal ALL deaths from similar complications are tested

Isn´t that a waste of testing capacity? Shouldn´t you rather use it for testing the living?

6 hours ago, john g. said:

https://www.actvism.org/opinions/noam-chomsky-corona-krise/

Partly in German, partly in English.

Chomsky and corona- if you have twenty minutes or so. Not a superficial conspiracy theory, by the way!

👍🏼

I disagree with his analysis. To pick only one small aspect: He claims the unavailablitiy of vaccines against corona is a market failure. But he forgets that without a free market economy the virus couldn´t even have been sequenced nor would there be the technology available to develop a vaccine within reasonable time (because a communist economy wouldn´t have provided for the technology necessary). He sounds pretty clueless on that. Developing a vaccine usually takes many years- if it can be found within less than 1.5 years (what experts say is what we can hope for) that´s already a huge benefit of having free market economy.

now being not discounted that this could have come from a Wuhan lab, not the wild market

I think also that there is something super suspicious about the source of this.

5 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

BTW, in Portugal ALL deaths from similar complications are tested. There I think the inaccuracy is well below 10%.

Same in Ireland. Deaths where the virus could be a secondary cause are recorded as Covid 19 deaths

18 hours ago, Krieg said:

The main thread is closed so I post this here:

UK, France and Germany ignore the US sanctions to Iran and send them medical gear to help with the situation.   Trump's sanctions to Iran were actually increased last week showing lack of common sense.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/coronavirus-france-germany-and-uk-begin-exporting-medical-gear-iran

Has nothing to do with Coronavirus but it seems the topic is basically a catch all again until it isn't.   Why not put this on the Trump thread or Politics XYZ?  

Delivery of medical equipment and medicine to Iran were not outlawed by the sanctions, but they needed to go through special payment mechanisms so that other non-medical transactions could not be slipped in.     

The EU could have negotiated a pull back of Iranian support for Hezbollah in south Lebanon, pull back of support for multiple proxies in Iraq and Yemen, and cessation of IRGC drug dealing but folded instead.   

Iranians should get access to medicine and medical supplies, but the government is cynically using this wedge to get access to the international payments system to ease sanctions for other things. 

17 hours ago, Krieg said:

Just check the news.  He deployed the US Navy several days ago and they are now close to Venezuela waters.  And yesterday there were sightings of US troops in Colombia close to the border with Venezuela.

Not sure if the thing is real or he is just making some smokescreen.

Has nothing to do with Coronavirus but it seems the topic is basically a catch all again until it isn't.   Why not put this on the Trump thread or Politics XYZ? 

If you are from S. America, it should be quite clear that whether now or later, this is the end game.    

Germany took advantage of the coup against Evo Morales in Bolivia by signing a Lithium deal two weeks after that coup, so maybe there is an upside for Germany.  

https://uk.reuters.com/article/germany-bolivia-lithium/germany-secures-access-to-vast-lithium-deposit-in-bolivia-idUKB4N1SN02R

You never saw protests over the skullduggery because it did not appear on the front page in Germany.  

36 minutes ago, balticus said:

Germany took advantage of the coup against Evo Morales in Bolivia by signing a Lithium deal two weeks after that coup, so maybe there is an upside for Germany.  

https://uk.reuters.com/article/germany-bolivia-lithium/germany-secures-access-to-vast-lithium-deposit-in-bolivia-idUKB4N1SN02R

You never saw protests over the skullduggery because it did not appear on the front page in Germany.  

What´s wrong with that? Btw: it wasn´t Germany but a private German company which is party to that deal.

46 minutes ago, balticus said:

Berlin has retracted the accusations.  

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1246482646059954177?s=20

Trump is the shiny object that keeps Europeans distracted from their own governments' missteps. The CureVac story was leaked an hour after the Federal Reserve bailed out the European banking system (again).

Now be completely honest. That article says ONE official backtracked from his comments, not that the German government retracted.

Govnmts using media in UK to point finger at each other ‘covidiots’ for going for a walk

to distract from doctors and nurses dying through lack of basic PPE ffs 

23 hours ago, balticus said:

Stuff

Somebody is particularly touchy about mentions of Trump's utter incompetence, petulance and dangerous ignorance. Even Johnson realised earlier that he couldn't gaslight a virus. 

This poster wants all talk of Trump's handling of this crisis to be quarantined in the Trump thread.

The nightly circus in the WH where Trump denies ALL responsibility for the way things have turned out in the country he is in charge of is a sick joke. Journalists posing serious questions of the President's behaviour are ridiculed. He's a wanker. But he's your wanker.

5 minutes ago, murphaph said:

This poster wants all talk of Trump's handling of this crisis to be quarantined in the Trump thread.

Iranian sanctions and mobilizing against the Maduro regime have nothing to do with Corona virus.   You are blinded by hatred.  

Remember Suez!  😂

20 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Somebody is particularly touchy

For you and any other Irish citizens or people with Irish heritage, I would like to publicly apologize for the remarks i made which may have exploited a well known health/lifestyle choice/problem in Ireland.   Even if you made indefensible and tasteless remarks about the opioid crisis in the US, there is no excuse to stoop to your level. 

By the way, if whatever that thing i referred to does not explain 7 posts of ranting in a row and constant stream of anti-American vitriol, then unfortunately, it would seem that you have some very serious issues which are quite permanent and enduring and not a matter of whatever you might be metabolizing. 

This is noted.    :lol:

1 hour ago, jeba said:

What´s wrong with that? Btw: it wasn´t Germany but a private German company which is party to that deal.

Given that the negotiations became a lot easier after removing the democratically elected President, one might think that there was a conflict of interest and a subversion of Democracy.  

I didn't notice any protests.   People were too distracted with the Trump impeachment and abiding by the general guideline to never criticize the home team.