5,843 posts in this topic

Since they were completely ignoring the corona crisis, the Trump administration had time to indict Maduro and 14 other former and current Venezuelan officials on charges of narco-terrorism, corruption, drug-trafficking, and other charges.

They've sent Navy ships to South American waters, ostensibly to to interdict drug shipments. Trumpy's reputation as "war president" has discontinued its dead cat bounce as the death toll from his months of dawdling and hoax-calling skyrockets to thousands per day. He may decide that invading a foreign country may be just the tonic his reputation needs right now (like Reagan with Grenada).

2 hours ago, Dembo said:

the UK government want people to believe China must be lying.

You can be absolutely 100% sure of it, take it to the bank, no question, repeat after me: China is lying. Your own government might be too, but not nearly to the calculated extent the communist government has.

51 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

Like you say, we don't know that it's true but I believe the Chinese have been economical with the figures. 

Add at least a zero to the end of the official figures.

51 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

Interesting that the Official mouthpiece Lijian Zhao, the Spokesman & Deputy Director General, Information Dept, Foreign Ministry, tweeted this. 

Deflect deflect deflect! The Chinese state’s utter inability to admit its own failures is what caused this whole pandemic in the first place. They are simply continuing the charade. 

17 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

This one seems to be more readily available than Clourowhateveritwas. Cue lots of people swallowing head-lice treatment and ending up dead.

I imagine a lot of things can kill covid-19 in the lab. 

36 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

They've sent Navy ships to South American waters, ostensibly to to interdict drug shipments. Trumpy's reputation as "war president" has discontinued its dead cat bounce as the death toll from his months of dawdling and hoax-calling skyrockets to thousands per day. He may decide that invading a foreign country may be just the tonic his reputation needs right now (like Reagan with Grenada).

Did not hear anything. Were they successful?

I only heard that a Portuguese cruise ship successfully sank a 80m narco ship on their way to Curacao.

Great:

A London-based doctor who ignored orders to self-isolate after showing Covid-19 symptoms has been found dead at his flat near Berlin, causing concern he could have infected other people on his journey from the UK.

The 58-year-old German citizen, who is understood to have worked in Britain as a locum doctor, was told by his employer to put himself into self-isolation on 19 March after developing symptoms associated with the coronavirus, but was not tested

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/doctor-with-covid-19-dies-in-berlin-flat-after-travelling-from-london

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

I still have to work and take care of two kids and by the time I could go I am extremely tired (more than in the times I went to work in the real world).  

That is understandable. Keep safe.

2 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

This one seems to be more readily available than Clourowhateveritwas. Cue lots of people swallowing head-lice treatment and ending up dead.

Ivermectin is normally given orally or intravenously, it is nothing like head lice treatment. It is a great medicine as it attacks anything parasitic no matter where it is on the body. This is good especially if the parasite is not inside the intestinal system of the host.

Viruses behave like parasites reproducing in their hosts cells...

Ivermectin for example is given orally or intravenously for the treatment of Baylisascaris. A rather vile parasitic roundworm that you can catch from Racoons. It infects your brain.

Yes Ivermectin does kill head lice too, but most use topical treatments which can be effected to the area (hair). Ivermectin is reserved only for parasites which cannot be removed easily as they effect parts such as the brain, liver etc...

Maybe it really good be our saviour after all.

Arundhati Roy is a great writer, and this is one of the best articles I've read on the state we're in now. certainly the best  on India.

https://www.ft.com/content/10d8f5e8-74eb-11ea-95fe-fcd274e920ca

When the walking began in Delhi, I used a press pass from a magazine I frequently write for to drive to Ghazipur, on the border between Delhi and Uttar Pradesh. The scene was biblical. Or perhaps not. The Bible could not have known numbers such as these. The lockdown to enforce physical distancing had resulted in the opposite — physical compression on an unthinkable scale. This is true even within India’s towns and cities. The main roads might be empty, but the poor are sealed into cramped quarters in slums and shanties. Every one of the walking people I spoke to was worried about the virus. But it was less real, less present in their lives than looming unemployment, starvation and the violence of the police. Of all the people I spoke to that day, including a group of Muslim tailors who had only weeks ago survived the anti-Muslim attacks, one man’s words especially troubled me. He was a carpenter called Ramjeet, who planned to walk all the way to Gorakhpur near the Nepal border. “Maybe when Modiji decided to do this, nobody told him about us. Maybe he doesn’t know about us”, he said. “Us” means approximately 460m people.

Very good news from Italy! 681 deaths today, the first time in 10 days below 700!

Still not enough points to give a good estimate when it goes down to zero. I still get estimations between 6 days and infinite. At the moment it does not look like a bell shaped curve, meaning that it went up much faster than it is coming down.

In the meantime, Portugal is showing some remarkable numbers! It even looks to be reaching a peak of deaths per day! Today only 20 deaths, for a total of 266. Mortality around 2.5%.

Belgium, with the same population size, is at 1300 deaths with a mortality of 8%.

I was also wondering what they are doing in Belgium (11m inhabitants ) and the Netherlands (17m inh.) 1300 and 1700 deaths. Extrapolated to 80m that would be approx. 9000 deaths in every country. There must be a high number of severe cases. Even Germany with its high number of ICU beds would run into problems with such high numbers . Do the people care about the death toll, or do they went to the pubs and drink beer (Belgium) or smoke marihuana (Netherlands)?

708 deaths in the UK (at least what they reported) - i.e.more than Italy, and I read about 800 in Spain which is slightly down.

The worldometers site lets you sort by deaths per million and (ignoring the tiny countries) after Italy and Spain comes Belgium, then France, then NL, then Switzerland and the UK. Which is surprising as I don't feel we've heard very much about Belgium, NL or Switzerland in all this. We hear a lot about the US, but then that's over 300 million people and actually the number of deaths there is behind Ireland (though the US is probably a bit behind Europe still).

@dembo: Ifrequently have a look on this Swiss site: https://www.20min.ch/

The virus came from tessin. A lot of workers from Italy drive to Ticino (Tessin) to work there.

Apparently they brought the virus with them.

However, I read that they want to close the Gotthard and the San Berhardino over Easter to avoid that people from the north re-introduce Corona.

The border between Germany and Switzerland is closed, status yesterday:

Fence1.jpg

5 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Maybe but there are already a few vaccines in human trial at the moment.

Same as your link which states that drug would need human trials (and funding) to find safe dosage etc.So it would probably be a bit quicker than waiting for a vaccine as it already exists and would make producing and distributing easier.

1 hour ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

I was also wondering what they are doing in Belgium (11m inhabitants ) and the Netherlands (17m inh.) 1300 and 1700 deaths. Extrapolated to 80m that would be approx. 9000 deaths in every country. There must be a high number of severe cases. Even Germany with its high number of ICU beds would run into problems with such high numbers . Do the people care about the death toll, or do they went to the pubs and drink beer (Belgium) or smoke marihuana (Netherlands)?

Keep an eye on Sweden they went the herd immunity route and it now looks like it may have started to implode on them.

5 hours ago, Dembo said:

Yer its like the saying that canabis oil kills cancer cells in a lab but there again so does a gun.

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

yeah but the number of infections are not coming down even going up today in Italy 

Number of infection is a number with a very high inaccuracy. Could be 20x bigger. On the other hand, number of deaths is much more accurate.