5,843 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I really don´t care about the reliability of the magnitude, the important point is mortality rate and rate of infection! Those are relative terms.

Would the world have take this kerfuffle more seriously, if China had said, 130,000 people have died from the virus within 2 months? 

Just now, hellfire99 said:

Would the world have take this kerfuffle more seriously, if China had said, 130,000 people have died from the virus within 2 months? 

Don´t think so. Remember that in magnitude comparions people still fall on the "the flu killed more last year" fallacy!

But if they have said that the mortality rate is close to 10%, then people would be shit scared right away!

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

Last Saturday I went to the supermarket we were a grand total of two people wearing a mask.  Let's see today.

Out of interest, why Saturday shopping now that you could go any day?

I avoid shopping on Saturdays in general because it is a horrible experience, and now it could be dangerous too.

1 minute ago, kiplette said:

I avoid shopping on Saturdays in general because it is a horrible experience, and now it could be dangerous too.

Exactly. Monday early morning is the most logical choice. Not only there aren´t many people there, the merchandising hasn´t been touched for at least 36h, meaning less chances of infection by picking some droplets on a plastic or glass container.

9 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

All pertinent questions. 

The Chinese have form when it comes to massaging the figures, though. 

You're not Chinese are you, Dembo?  ;) 

No I'm British, and as much as I can believe that China has been less than honest, and many people have that idea about China, I don't know that's true. But I do know that the UK government is run by liars who have particular form when it comes to making up numbers ;-).

But is it a case of westerners not wanting to believe that China has actually done a better job of dealing with this than our governments?  The UK officially has more deaths than China, so you can certainly understand why the UK government want people to believe China must be lying.

If true this is disgraceful.

The United States has angered Germany and France after allegedly seizing millions of masks set to be shipped to the European nations amid the coronavirus crisis. 

On Friday, German officials hit out at America for 'intercepting' 200,000 masks they had ordered from a 3M factory in China. 

As 3M is an American-owned company, the US was able to 'confiscate' the shipment of special FFP2 and FFP3 masks which were on their way to healthcare workers battling the COVID-19 outbreak in Berlin. 

1 hour ago, Tap said:

Seemingly, the BCG wasn't very effective again tuberculosis

It is pretty good at preventing some particularly nasty types of meningitis in children.

45 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Well, I could technically go another day of course, but during the week I still have to work and take care of two kids and by the time I could go I am extremely tired (more than in the times I went to work in the real world).   And in our Kaufland the fruits and veggies area sucks after 6 pm.

After the "holidays" the wife and I would most probably start doing Kurzarbeit, so I will have a free day of the week to do it.

BCG...

The three small needle thing was the “skin test”

my mate fainted 😀

And he is now threatening to invade Venezuela.   Shit is going to hit the fan.

2 minutes ago, Krieg said:

And he is now threatening to invade Venezuela.   Shit is going to hit the fan.

Wait, what? Source?

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

No I'm British, and as much as I can believe that China has been less than honest, and many people have that idea about China, I don't know that's true. But I do know that the UK government is run by liars who have particular form when it comes to making up numbers ;-).

But is it a case of westerners not wanting to believe that China has actually done a better job of dealing with this than our governments?  The UK officially has more deaths than China, so you can certainly understand why the UK government want people to believe China must be lying.

That maybe so but Taiwan has done the best job of all so far, despite being located far closer to the outbreak than Europe and the USA. I guess based on their history and politics it did not take much for Taiwan to completely distrust anything the PRC said and they closed down the borders and travel immediately. Shame the rest of the world did not do the same.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Don´t think so. Remember that in magnitude comparions people still fall on the "the flu killed more last year" fallacy!

But if they have said that the mortality rate is close to 10%, then people would be shit scared right away!

Therein lies the problem, Mike. We have no real idea about the mortality rate. From what I've read, different governments are using different measurements and producing differing statistics. 

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

Like you say, we don't know that it's true but I believe the Chinese have been economical with the figures. 

I'd go with the "cover up"  theory. 

Interesting that the Official mouthpiece Lijian Zhao, the Spokesman & Deputy Director General, Information Dept, Foreign Ministry, tweeted this. 

Curiouser and curiouser. 

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

Everyman for himself, innit!  

Europe fails to help Italy in coronavirus fight  (Politico 07.03.20)

EU countries have so far refused Italy's plea for help fighting coronavirus, as national capitals worry that they may need to stockpile face masks and other medical gear to help their own citizens, officials and diplomats said.

The refusal so far to volunteer help for Italy, which requested face masks through the EU's civil protection mechanism, highlights the urgency for Brussels as it seeks to orchestrate a coordinated response to the epidemic, and to make use of its still relatively limited powers during public health emergencies compared to the broader authority of member states.

Indeed, Rome's hopes for assistance are now pinned on the Commission's triggering of an emergency joint procurement process that allows the EU to purchase urgent medical supplies and to distribute those resources where most-needed across the Continent, even if capitals are reluctant to help each other.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

The main thread is closed so I post this here:

Which one?

"Coronavirus" is still open.

Or reopened. Whatever.

31 minutes ago, Metall said:

Wait, what? Source?

Just check the news.  He deployed the US Navy several days ago and they are now close to Venezuela waters.  And yesterday there were sightings of US troops in Colombia close to the border with Venezuela.

Not sure if the thing is real or he is just making some smokescreen.

He's been threatening to invade Venezuela on a regular basis for a couple of years now. Usually when he needed a distraction from his assholery.