5,671 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, balticus said:

He was predicting those things as Brexit scenarios 2 years ago.  🤪

Brexit has not happened in practice as the UK is still in the transition phase. Let's see how things are in January when it ends and the UK is all on its own. Trump has bigger concerns than a trade deal right now.

19 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Hands up who's got the BCG vaccination? <raises hand>

Unreviewed study finds countries with mandatory TB vaccination have lower death rates to Covid 19.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-02/fewer-coronavirus-deaths-seen-in-countries-that-mandate-tb-vaccine

Ireland mandated that vaccination until 2015 when it became difficult to obtain. I still remember the day I got it in school as it hurt like hell. I was five years old so it's one of my earliest memories in fact.

Obviously I hope there is some veracity to the claims made.

Yes - remember that, and the craze of punching people on the TB jab that followed. I think we were about 10 in the UK.

Apparently latent TB is relatively common. A few years ago I was considered for a more aggressive immunosuppresant for Crohns disease (which I didn't need in the end), but they gave me a chest X-ray to check for TB because if you did have latent TB and you took this drug there was a high chance of you developing active TB. Uninformed wild speculation here, but maybe if you already have one lung infection (even if asymptomatic) a second one is then much worse.

27 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

If thats the one where we all had a 3 pronged stab in the upper arm... then I raise my hand too!

In my day you got a test (multi-needle thingy) on your wrist and if it swelled up or didn't (don't remember) you got the big one in the upper arm that took ages to heal. I was one of the few who did not need the big one following the test. Does that count?

39 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Unreviewed study finds countries with mandatory TB vaccination have lower death rates to Covid 19.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-02/fewer-coronavirus-deaths-seen-in-countries-that-mandate-tb-vaccine

Ireland mandated that vaccination until 2015 when it became difficult to obtain. I still remember the day I got it in school as it hurt like hell. I was five years old so it's one of my earliest memories in fact.

Yes, I got the BCG in primary school too. Unfortunately, the doctor didn't change the needle after vaccinating the kid in front of me and I ended up with a terrible infection in my upper arm.  To this day, I have three large scars there.

Seemingly, the BCG wasn't very effective again tuberculosis, but it turns out, it does have other benefits and may provide some protection against the effects of Covid-19.

The rule of unintended consequences!

Portugal had mandatory BCG vaccination since 1965 until 2017. Current official mortality rate around 2.5%.

In Germany the east has higher vaccination rates and lower mortality.

Another difference with other countries is that the vaccine is given at birth in Portugal. That´s why i cant remember.

The number of coronavirus-related deaths in countries where BCG was optional exceeds the rest by a staggering 30 times, according to statistics. The doctors believe they’re seeing evidence of the shot’s effectiveness when comparing Spain’s figures to those of Portugal. The former shows catastrophic casualty rates; it’s also where BCG hasn’t been mandatory since 1981. In Portugal the vaccine has only been a matter of personal choice since 2017. The same with East Germany (the former GDR had mandatory BCG shots). The death toll there is less than in its Western counterpart.

The current mortality differences between Portugal and Spain are quite high: 2.5% vs 9.3%. Of course their hospitals are saturated and ours aren´t. And surprisingly for many, Portugal has a better healthcare system.  But they are testing more people than we (per million). Still, it is a huge mortality difference!

The remaining differences between the countries are:

• Portugal locked down the country very early on
  • Portugal has more ventilators per million. Not even close to saturation right now
  • Surprisingly there are large genetic differences between the countries. Most of Portuguese have a semitic or central europe origin, while Spain has much more influence from north africa. But genetics haven´t shown any role on this so far...

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

You voted for him.

Thankfully, balticus has said that she is not an American citizen. I say 'thankfully' because it means we don't have to lay that level of ignorance about  the COTUS and US civics at the feet of the US educational system. She came by her ignorance through some other means.

5 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Thankfully, balticus has said that she is not an American citizen. I say 'thankfully' because it means we don't have to lay that level of ignorance about  the COTUS and US civics at the feet of the US educational system. She came by her ignorance through some other means.

Ooops! 

I thought Balticus was a bloke. 

I haven't read everything from him/her so maybe I missed where he/she stated their gender. 

How do you know Balticus is a woman, Alex? 

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

28 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Portugal had mandatory BCG vaccination since 1965 until 2017. Current official mortality rate around 2.5%.

In Germany the east has higher vaccination rates and lower mortality.

Another difference with other countries is that the vaccine is given at birth in Portugal. That´s why i cant remember.

I read about this the other day. I also had the BCG vaccine. I also read that some GP's were handing antibiotics out to people who they suspected of having the coronavirus. (which is odd if you think it is a virus- Normally antibiotics do not help against a virus).

Getting a test done is still not that easy.

I have a feeling that there is something they are not telling us about the coronavirus. It spreads like a virus but damages like Tuberculosis, goes straight for the lungs. Also it is interesting about the BCG vaccine, the information that is coming to light about a correlation between BCG and mortality rates of COVID 19.

Here is an interesting video about BCG and Covid 19

An interesting video.  Based on our gut feel we have been quite religious about opening windows and creating airflow even before seeing this.  Since many Germans do this maybe that's been helping too.  

3 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

An interesting video.  Based on our gut feel we have been quite religious about opening windows and creating airrflow even before seeing this.  Since many Germans do this maybe that's been helping too.  

In my experience, Germans freak out if you open a window or even if you look like you are gonna open a window. 

2 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

In my experience, Germans freak out if you open a window or even if you look like you are gonna open a window. 

You must be working with "fake" germans, "real" germans open office windows first thing in the morning, with -20 outside!

Bit hard to know what real Germans do if you don't live here and are unlikely to have done so.

12 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

An interesting video.  Based on our gut feel we have been quite religious about opening windows and creating airrflow even before seeing this.

Because of what´s demonstrated in this video I´d recommend wearing protective glasses like goggles when shopping because these droplets might infect you via your eyes as well. Plus a FFP2 or higher facemask, of course (if you have one). On the other hand, as I already said, this doesn´t seem to be a major route of transmission. If it was the rate of new infections in Wuhan probably wouldn´t have gone to zero.

15 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

I have been at DaF class at the VHS for 6 months prior to this mess.  We all kept getting frustrated during our 15 minute pause because the teacher insisted on opening the windows and we all kept having to put our coats back on!  We had 2 different teachers and they both did it, and neither is originally from Konstanz. Go figure. My German mother-in-law did this too, and my 86 year old friend here does as well.  I even remember the custom back during my days living in West Berlin.

Yep. It's a German thing. Along with hanging their duvets out the window for a couple hours every morning.

9 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

You must be working with "fake" germans, "real" germans open office windows first thing in the morning, with -20 outside!

Fuck!  Now you mention it, none of them wear white socks!  The fake bastards! 

7 minutes ago, French bean said:

Bit hard to know what real Germans do if you don't live here and are unlikely to have done so.

Triggered!

:lol:

Anyways, I see China is holding a 3 minute silence for the more than 100,000 people who died from the virus. 

Coronavirus: China mourns Covid-19 victims with three-minute silence

A day of remembrance was declared in China on Saturday to honour the more than 3,300 people who died of Covid-19.

OK, the official figure is approximately 3500 but who believes that? 

Coronavirus: Anger is growing at China over COVID-19 and its apparent cover-up attempt

And according to reports this weekend, the British government has been told the Chinese may have lied about the extent of their own outbreak by a factor of 40.

A factor of 40, you say!  I wouldn't be surprised. 

And according to reports this weekend, the British government has been told the Chinese may have lied about the extent of their own outbreak by a factor of 40.

I have to highlight that one. A Sky reporter writes that "according to reports" (from whom? And why are they in a position to know?) the British government "has been told" (again by whom?) that the Chinese *may* have lied (or may not have lied - we don't know).

Which many people will now take as fact that China has under-reported its cases. 

3 minutes ago, Dembo said:

I have to highlight that one. A Sky reporter writes that "according to reports" (from whom? And why are they in a position to know?) the British government "has been told" (again by whom?) that the Chinese *may* have lied (or may not have lied - we don't know).

Which many people will now take as fact that China has under-reported its cases. 

All pertinent questions. 

The Chinese have form when it comes to massaging the figures, though. 

You're not Chinese are you, Dembo?  ;) 

18 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

OK, the official figure is approximately 3500 but who believes that? 

Coronavirus: Anger is growing at China over COVID-19 and its apparent cover-up attempt

A factor of 40, you say!  I wouldn't be surprised. 

I really don´t care about the reliability of the magnitude, the important point is mortality rate and rate of infection! Those are relative terms.

So even if they faked the magnitude, does rate of infection and mortality remain the same? We don´t see a 2% mortality rate in Italy and Spain. We see much more!