6,204 posts in this topic

It sounds as if Trump thinks that as GM (who make a lot of the masks) are a US company, they should supply US first, and when they have enough sell to other Countries. I am wondering if both lots of masks siezed were made by GM and thats how he based his thinking?

Capitalism, Free Markets and globalization failing.  Who would have thought.

11 minutes ago, luvlein said:

Also with a shipment to Canada:

"Thousands of KN95 masks to protect health care workers that had been ordered in China by a Chinese contractor in Montreal were oddly returned to the United States after being delivered to Quebec.     

This situation comes at a time when Quebec is engaged in a real race to get its hands on masks, Premier François Legault revealed yesterday.         

Fan Zhou, the owner of a manufacturing company in Saint-Laurent, says he placed orders in China at the end of March to obtain 10,000 KN95 masks to supply Montreal hospitals, including the Jewish General Hospital.  "

"According to him, factories producing masks in China are currently operating at full capacity and orders from the Chinese government take precedence. The only way to get masks delivered is through local contacts and non-traditional channels.         

On Sunday, an initial delivery of KN95 masks from Hong Kong arrived at the DHL centre in St. Lambert, Quebec, according to tracking at the DHL shipper's site, but yesterday the goods were strangely redirected to a DHL service centre in Cincinnati, Ohio.         

The Journal was supposed to go and take pictures of the first masks delivered, but to everyone's surprise, we then learned that they were no longer in Quebec.         

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2020/04/02/des-masques-pour-le-quebec-detournes

2 minutes ago, SusieT said:

It sounds as if Trump thinks that as GM (who make a lot of the masks) are a US company, they should supply US first, and when they have enough sell to other Countries. I am wondering if both lots of masks siezed were made by GM and thats how he based his thinking?

This all looks like the last lines in "Three days of the Condor"

... suggesting that when oil shortages cause a major economic crisis,

Americans will demand that their comfortable lives be restored by any means necessary.

OK - it's not oil today - but N95 masks...

Fiction meets fact...

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Each health system in the world does something better and somethings worse than other countrys, for some reason.

everybody here can find many differnces around the world where one country does things better or worse.

Newborn mortality is one of the best yardsticks to use when comparing the quality of healthcare systems exactly because newborns don´t differ in lifestyle choices yet. Sure you could argue that there are differences between their mother´s lifestyles. However, I´d bet that one contributing factor to the difference is that poor mothers don´t have the same access to healthcare as financially secure ones. I´m too lazy to look for proof but I´d bet that this is a big factor why newborn mortality is 70% higher in the US as compared to Germany. I´m sure if you compared only the lowest percentiles in terms of household income of US mothers to their German counterparts the difference would be even bigger. And that points to a failure of the US healthcare system.

The Swedish goverment told the people that a lock-down or similar actions like in other countries is not necessary in Sweden.

Now he told the people that the goverment might be wrong:

"And so the prime minister believes that the epidemic will take thousands of lives in the country before it's over. He bases his view on the experience of other countries where the epidemic has been going on for a long time."

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/coronaviruset/lofven-tusentals-kommer-att-do-i-corona/

Boris planned to go the same way, however, eventually he was convinced that on that path the death toll might be too high.

ICU doc in Gwent, Wales told C4 news today that all their patients in ICU are in their fifties or younger and many have no underlying medical conditions that they knew about.

He promised that a doctor or nurse would hold the hands of people as they die as their relatives are not allowed in. Pretty moving stuff.

2 NHS nurses in their thirties were among the almost 700 dead in the UK yesterday.

8 minutes ago, murphaph said:

ICU doc in Gwent, Wales told C4 news today that all their patients in ICU are in their fifties or younger and many have no underlying medical conditions that they knew about.

He promised that a doctor or nurse would hold the hands of people as they die as their relatives are not allowed in. Pretty moving stuff.

2 NHS nurses in their thirties were among the almost 700 dead in the UK yesterday.

I also spoke to my cardio. He has now told me that i should cut contact with everyone.

We've been misled (partly unintentionally I feel) about both the effectiveness of face masks and the impact the virus can have on younger people. Nobody is really safe from this thing.

18 minutes ago, murphaph said:

We've been misled (partly unintentionally I feel) about both the effectiveness of face masks and the impact the virus can have on younger people. Nobody is really safe from this thing.

There is a logic to say face masks are ineffective when you know there are nowhere enough to go around the population.  

13 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

There is a logic to say face masks are ineffective when you know there are nowhere enough to go around the population.  

A homemade mask is very effective at catching everything. The trick to the masks is getting people to behave as if they already have it and are trying to prevent passing it on rather than preventing themselves catching it.

Trump blaming the lack of PPE on the previous administration. Eh, you've been president for over 3 years now dickhead!

And now blaming the states for not anticipating something he has repeatedly said could not be anticipated. What a fucking weasel.

Oh man Trump is melting down and this crisis is just getting started. Americans are gonna realise that electing this man child was a big mistake.

Interestingly it seems Fauci was excluded from the press briefing at the last minute. Too much telling the truth from him.

Trump makes a tasteless joke about the model (of expected deaths!!):

"The professionals were involved in the model, I was never involved in the model, well at least this type of model"