4,870 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, balticus said:

You lied and you got caught.   Take responsibility. 

I did take "responsibility".  I wrote it was wrong to oversimplify in that way.  I didn't lie however.  There is a big difference.

It may be that the corruption under Correa and stiffing Ecuador's creditors gave the new Pres few options.

Corruption is everywhere is South America, it is not expressly the president's fault, that's why I never mentioned the corruption of the current administration.   Sadly, there is no way to move anything relevant in South America without some level of corruption.  That's how things are, and that's why we should never believe a candidate offering to eliminate corruption, because that's impossible to achieve in the short term.

People who like leaders like Correa (and i know some) are hard to understand.   They offer improvements to the poor, they speak some Quechua to the Indigenous groups and pay them off, and then they loot the country.   Chavez light.

I am not even a Correa fan, but I can't deny the country was much better after his time.

And if you would be honest, you might mention that the Pres being denounced or even exiled in Ecuador is not exactly a novelty.   Wash, rinse, repeat.

You mean, in South America when a president leaves and he is accused of something and has to run away, you mean that is not something usual so Correa's situation is something special?

Just admit that you tried to distort the truth and never expected to meet someone on this board who has actually heard of Guayaquil.   

Of course I do not expect anyone to know much about South American politics, I even said that already.   The only ones who could know something are the few South Americans here.   You are not one of them for sure.

29 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I did take "responsibility".  I wrote it was wrong to oversimplify in that way.  I didn't lie however.  There is a big difference.

You distorted the truth to attempt to make the outbreak appear to be a function of right wing politics which it isn't.   Fail.  

Corruption is everywhere is South America, it is not expressly the president's fault, that's why I never mentioned the corruption of the current administration.   Sadly, there is no way to move anything relevant in South America without some level of corruption.  That's how things are, and that's why we should never believe a candidate offering to eliminate corruption, because that's impossible to achieve in the short term.

It does not require much experience or half a lifetime of residence to make such deep pronouncements.   :rolleyes:    Please continue to enlighten us with the obvious. 

I am not even a Correa fan, but I can't deny the country was much better after his time.

Sure - he didn't pay bills and had lots of cash to disperse and then hung the next administration with the problems.   The ponzi scheme worked for Chavez and Venezuela until it didn't.   Worked for Jack Madoff too.    How can people be so stupid to not see through it?

You mean, in South America when a president leaves and he is accused of something and has to run away, you mean that is not something usual so Correa's situation is something special?

No - the opposite.    The guy who was Pres when i was there went to Brazil eventually if i remember correctly.   This was a long time ago, but after dollarization.   El Loco was before my time, but he came back after the charges expired.   There are others.  

The only ones who could know something are the few South Americans here.   You are not one of them for sure.

There is that Latin machista.   :lol:   For all the shit you give to MikeMelga, you seem to have turned into a know-it-all who cannot admit that he was wrong and in this case purposefully. 

South American politics are so complicated that nobody can understand them?  Get over yourself.   

16 minutes ago, balticus said:

You distorted the truth to attempt to make the outbreak appear to be a function of right wing politics which it isn't.   Fail.

Well that was not really my intention, it was only to mention that kicking out the cuban doctors due to political bias was a huge mistake.   Of course you won't agree.  If USA sent help or reliefs to Venezuela and Maduro wouldn't take them I would say as well it is a monumental error.   By the way, since you think it is the world against the right wingers and everyone who criticize you should be a left wing commie, I think Maduro is the worst thing that happened to Venezuela.

But now that you mentioned it, I guess countries with heavy social cushion and health coverage for everyone will have more chances to do better during the crisis.  And guess which side of the spectrum has been always more interested in doing that kind of investment and which one has been more interested in leaving it to the free markets?

Sure - he didn't pay bills and had lots of cash to disperse and then hung the next administration with the problems.   The ponzi scheme worked for Chavez and Venezuela until it didn't.   Worked for Jack Madoff too.    How can people be so stupid to not see through it?

You mean the 8% of the PIB debt when Correa left is something really that bad?  I wonder what's the amount of debt from USA.  Of course you will Google it and find out that it is not 8%, but 7.75% or 9.01% and I am of course wrong.

There is that Latin machista. 

WTF?

:lol:   For all the shit you give to MikeMelga, you seem to have turned into a know-it-all who cannot admit that he was wrong and in this case purposefully.

What if I came actually from the area?  How am I a know it all from having an interest in politics in my own area I was born?

South American politics are so complicated that nobody can understand them?  Get over yourself.   

That's not what I said, of course they can be understood, but it is not as simple as Googling, at least if you really want to understand it.  And living in a place for a while doesn't mean you really get them either, I have lived in several other places I don't really get their politics, i.e. Mexico.  

2 hours ago, balticus said:

Just admit that you tried to distort the truth and never expected to meet someone on this board who has actually heard of Guayaquil.   

Me! Me! Me! Been there! And lived in Quito!
But I know absolutely nothing about today's Ecuadorian politics so I will shut my mouth. If you want to know about Guyana, now...

Things looking surprisingly stable in Portugal in the past 4 days, "only" 20 deaths per day, which is a sharp decline from the initial growth. Main problem there is the same as in other countries: retirement homes. Total deaths at 209.

Mortality rate is also "OK" at 2.3%, especially because testing is not yet widespread like for example in Germany.

AFAIK, Portugal was the quickest country in Europe to declare a lockdown after initial deaths. Also there is a very strong support for the lockdown measures, in contrast with other countries.

I wouldn't mind (it's each country for itself in many ways) if Trump wasn't lying almost every night about the US helping poor Europe with equipment when the US produces more than it needs. 

The US needs probably the most help of any developed nation at the moment. The best case scenario projection is for at least 100k people to die over the next couple of weeks!

7 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The US needs probably the most help of any developed nation at the moment.

That's because all of the health care workers are stealing ("going out the back door") all of the supplies that come in according to Trump.

20 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The US needs probably the most help of any developed nation at the moment.

But Trumps and many Americans ego will get in the way of accepting any.

I can honestly imagine if say for example Cuba found a vaccine and cure for Corona that Trump would refuse it.

Why do you think when they tried to buy the German drug company working on a vaccine there was a rumour that they wanted it exclusively for USA`s use.It may have been just a rumour but you can bet the idea was floated by Trump and his advisors.

It`s the same with Johnson and Cummings (yep he probably had a big influence),why on earth did they turn down the EU deal.

I cannot for the life of me fathom that,it is actually a life or death crisis for people and yet you refuse help.

17 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

That's because all of the health care workers are stealing ("going out the back door") all of the supplies that come in according to Trump.

Think Trump thinks that because he`s so used to him and all his cronies funneling funds etc away from everything they get involved in so he probably just assumes everyone does it all the time.

3 minutes ago, Keleth said:

But Trumps and many Americans ego will get in the way of accepting any.

I dunno. They accepted a whole cargo plane full of supplies from Russia today.

Wait a minute....

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

The US needs probably the most help of any developed nation at the moment. The best case scenario projection is for at least 100k people to die over the next couple of weeks!

I disagree. If you make it proportionally to the population size, Spain, Italy still need more help. Mortality rate there is much higher than America. As an example, Spain will reach 25.000 deaths very soon, being a country 6x smaller. 

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

I disagree. If you make it proportionally to the population size, Spain, Italy still need more help. Mortality rate there is much higher than America. As an example, Spain will reach 25.000 deaths very soon, being a country 6x smaller. 

Spain and italy are tiny compared to USA.  And the health system in Europe is much more better than in the US.   Plus the US is very big with plenty of rural areas.

Spain and Italy might look bad now, but probably it will be nothing compared to USA in two weeks.

I hope I am wrong.

11 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Spain and italy are tiny compared to USA.  And the health system in Europe is much more better than in the US.   Plus the US is very big with plenty of rural areas.

Spain and Italy might look bad now, but probably it will be nothing compared to USA in two weeks.

I hope I am wrong.

Have you ever lived in the US?   Have you ever been treated in its healthcare system ?   Have you spent enough time in Spain and Italy to make an objective judgement?

If not, why do you spend so much time discussing that particular country when you seem to be intolerant towards others who discuss the continent where you grew up ?

UFB

Just now, balticus said:

Have you ever lived in the US?   Have you ever been treated in its healthcare system ?

If not, why do you spend so much time discussing that particular country when you seem to be intolerant towards others who discuss the continent where you grew up ?

Irrelevant for the discussion. Otherwise you can bring the whole 3rd world to the discussion. The point here is: proportionally to the size of the population, who needs more help?