5,842 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

This was a nice read. Made me feel a little more hopeful -

" : Why people with the virus in Germany currently appear to be dying at much lower rates than in neighboring countries. "

the rest

Is there any clarity on this ? It is my understanding that the death rate in Germany is that low  because here they don't count as a Corona Virus death, someone with other pre-existent pathologies that got worse due to corona but formally died for those pathologies.

Is this true ?

9 minutes ago, Frantic said:

Is there any clarity on this ? It is my understanding that the death rate in Germany is that low  because here they don't count as a Corona Virus death, someone with other pre-existent pathologies that got worse due to corona but formally died for those pathologies.

Is this true ?

No. Wiener said in a press conference there is no reason to think that there is much undereporting. According to Drosten the reasons are that Germany is still at an earlier stage than Italy and that the average age of those infected is lower since a lot of people got infected while on (skiing) holiday in Italy and Austria. Those holidaymakers are usually younger people who are much less likely to die from the virus.

An American friend and I, who both live in Hamburg, have a weekly Podcast -- Amerika Übersetzt -- and our topic this week is about the similarities and differences in American and German cultural responses to the Corona Crisis.  It's in German, but we would love to hear your thoughts and get suggestions from you.  Our topics most typically focus on explaining the American Election process for Germans, but since the primaries are on hold, we are finding plenty of material from Trump...You'll find it on Apple, Google, Spotify and our facebook page.  Or here...https://www.buzzsprout.com/825892/3200530

727 deaths in Italy. This is below the average from the past 12 days (750) and below the average of the past 7 days (801).

I've simulated the drop down in deaths below, but not enough points to estimate rate of decrease. I still see between 7 and 15 days.

a1.png.6529ee86402cf9dbe88af8330eda906c.

In the meantime, Germany is showing some unexpected growth in deaths. Not very good sign.

The rate of growth is actually higher this week than last week, which goes against what we've seen in other countries.

a2.png.c5fbf09aa7c97a2bfa48f0142479a3ac.

It seems the worst place in the planet at the moment is Guayaquil in Ecuador, everything is out of control, official statistics are not anymore realistic, the weak health system is totally collapsed, sick people waiting outside of the hospital and dying on the floor, people dying in their houses and no one to pick up the corpses so they are now burning the corpses themselves. Many corpses are just abandoned in the streets.   And the mayor herself positive and sick as well.

The president took too long to react to the problem and even due to political bias kicked out the Cuban doctors that were helping, the president belongs to a right wing party.  The state of Guayas (where Guayaquil is) is now militarized because people were not following the mandated quarantine, which is always difficult in poor countries where more than half the population do not have stable jobs.  So the next problem is the social crisis the quarantine itself creates.

On 31.3.2020, 13:25:10, Metall said:

Because haters gotta hate to feel good.

Might be better to post some real information.

Hmm, apparently posting links to articles from international health organizations like WHO don't count as "real information", but opinion pieces on CNN do.  Gotcha.

20 minutes ago, Krieg said:

It seems the worst place in the planet at the moment is Guayaquil in Ecuador, everything is out of control, official statistics are not anymore realistic, the weak health system is totally collapsed, sick people waiting outside of the hospital and dying on the floor, people dying in their houses and no one to pick up the corpses so they are now burning the corpses themselves. Many corpses are just abandoned in the streets.   And the mayor herself positive and sick as well.

That's awful about Guayaquil.

I'm quite worried about Guyana tbh. Nobody seems to be taking it seriously there. I see photos on Facebook of crowded areas, for instance a bunched-up queue of old age pensioners today, queuing to get their pension which they have to pick up in person. Such an antiquated system -- why isn't it paid into their bank accounts?
And then I had an argument on FB with a Guyanese guy who posted a Youtube about how it's all a hoax because G5 is responsible, and people agreeing. I tried to talk sense into them but all I got is laughing faces. I give up.
I only hope that it's true that it doesn't spread so much in hot countries. But then, it's also hot in Guayaquil, which is on the coast not in the cooler mountains of Ecuador.

We were in town today as I had a doc appointment and went to a cash machine first.

Normally, on the first of the month, the queues are long ( salaries, pensions, )- today, not a soul.

This was the first time I have worn gloves whilst using a cash machine.

This is very creepy at best.😟

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

This is very creepy at best.😟

ou have know about this virus for over 2 months... why have you only now started to wear gloves?  

Main line news for 8weeks in Germany... But NOW you think its creepy?

So a narcissist and power- hungry guy who will obviously make  political capital/money from it, BethAnn.

I wonder who else is making serious money out of this misery worldwide for the wrong reasons? Eg: greed, abuse of power.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

I use one of my keys for pushing lift buttons, ATM buttons, etc.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I use the same trick for elevators, etc. But I do it every time, well before Corona.

Elbow also does the trick.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I am thinking about a Glaswegian kiss for the next time!😂

26 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I don‘t risk lifts here- too many power cuts. 😂 There are no high rise buildings and walking two or three floors up is good for the soul!

Just read this story in NYT why there are not enought ventilators in the US:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/business/coronavirus-us-ventilator-shortage.html

The U.S. Tried to Build a New Fleet of Ventilators. The Mission Failed.

"Thirteen years ago, a group of U.S. public health officials came up with a plan to address what they regarded as one of the medical system’s crucial vulnerabilities: a shortage of ventilators.The breathing-assistance machines tended to be bulky, expensive and limited in number. The plan was to build a large fleet of inexpensive portable devices to deploy in a flu pandemic or another crisis.

Money was budgeted. A federal contract was signed. Work got underway.And then things suddenly veered off course. A multibillion-dollar maker of medical devices bought the small California company that had been hired to design the new machines. The project ultimately produced zero ventilators.

" The project — code-named Aura — came in the wake of a parade of near-miss pandemics: SARS, MERS, bird flu and swine flu. The federal government’s Strategic National Stockpile had full-service ventilators in its warehouses, but not in the quantities that would be needed to combat a major pandemic.

It estimated that an additional 70,000 machines would be required in a moderate influenza pandemic.

Companies submitted bids for the Project Aura job. The research agency opted not to go with a large, established device maker. Instead it chose Newport Medical Instruments, a small outfit in Costa Mesa, Calif.

Then everything changed.

The medical device industry was undergoing rapid consolidation, with one company after another merging with or acquiring other makers. Manufacturers wanted to pitch themselves as one-stop shops for hospitals, which were getting bigger, and that meant offering a broader suite of products. In May 2012, Covidien, a large medical device manufacturer, agreed to buy Newport for just over $100 million.

Developing inexpensive portable ventilators no longer seemed like a top priority. Government officials and executives at rival ventilator companies said they suspected that Covidien had acquired Newport to prevent it from building a cheaper product that would undermine Covidien’s profits from its existing ventilator business. The executives complained that it was not sufficiently profitable for the company.

It wasn’t until last July that the F.D.A. signed off on the new Philips ventilator, the Trilogy Evo. The government ordered 10,000 units in December, setting a delivery date in mid-2020.

Applied capitalism.

8 hours ago, Frantic said:

Is this true ?

No it's not true.

One "problem" could be that Germany does not perform post-mortem tests as extensively as Italy (however I think it is more sensible to save testing kits rather than trying to get the most accurate number when testing kits are still in shortage), so if someone dies before he/she can be tested, there is a chance he/she will not be tested and therefore counted. However this is not saying Germany does not perform post-mortem, just not as extensively. If a person is already a confirmed patient of COVID-19, dying from other complications/pre-existing aliments will not exempt them from being counted towards the COVID-19 death toll. 

One contributing factor to the currently low death rate is the fact that mostly young people were infected in the beginning. Now we see more older people being infected and the death toll is also rising. RKI's info also indicates that most death happen with old people.