4,816 posts in this topic

Of course I am being ironic, maybe I should not have written  "allowed", that was a mistake.   I should have written "what some people would actually do".

And who writes "Gassi Gehen" when writing something serious?  By now, nothing surprise me anymore.

28 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Indeed but as @Krieg said people are idiots so would that stop say a smoker just popping out for a pack of cigs? I doubt it, so very leaky at best.

Yes.  For example, in Singapore, a much more authoritarian country now they had to resort to taking away the passport from some people in quarantine.  Because one guy in quarantine decided to go to Batam (an island in front of Singapore belonging to Indonesia).   He received a fine when caught.  And then, believe it or not, a few days later decided to go to Batam again.

Everything you needed to create this pandemia was the patient zero.  One idiot is enough to screw thousands or millions more.

Edit: Just read the forums here, some people are more worried about what they are ALLOWED to do than what MAKE SENSE to do or not to do.

I must admit that I do mix up the terms when referring to my own situation. Sometimes I say I'm in quarantine, sometimes I'm staying at home and sometimes I'm in isolation. It all sort of means the same thing to me in my situation. I will be more careful now.

47 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Of course I am being ironic, maybe I should not have written  "allowed", that was a mistake.   I should have written "what some people would actually do".

And who writes "Gassi Gehen" when writing something serious?  By now, nothing surprise me anymore.

Well, maybe you could go back and edit your post as it is misleading. And getting all upset about the coloquial term "Gassi Gehen", which every German speaker understands, even if they don't have a dog, is a bit over the top. 

2 hours ago, jeba said:

That´s not always possible nor does it always make sense. E. g. in Cyprus you were allowed to walk your dog only once a day until they changed that today. Or in South Africa you´re not allowed to leave your neighbourhood. My GF has medication waiting for her in a distant pharmacy but doesn´t dare to go there and pick it up. Why should the risk be increased if your driving 10 km rather than 1 km as long as you´re alone in the car? You don´t have a chance to infect someone or get infected while driving.

The further you drive the higher the possibility that you come into contact with strangers. You could break down orbe involved in an accident, requiring a recovery service or even emergency services. You might just get caught short and need the lavatory.

On an individual basis it's insignificant. Scaled up to the whole population it is not. Stay as close to home as possible.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Just read the forums here, some people are more worried about what they are ALLOWED to do than what MAKE SENSE to do or not to do.

Well, that's because rules change. You don't want to be doing something which makes perfect sense because you remain isolated but which is against a new rule which is designed to prevent a different activity, but happens to affect yours as a side issue. The fines are not funny.

I guess those of us from the UK are more likely to think that way, because we have stupid rules for stupid reasons to prevent stupid people doing even more stupid things. Germany in comparison is much more sensible, but I for one don't want to trust that my judgement of safe is the same as the Niedersachsen Landrat or whoever is making the rules.

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

Indeed but as @Krieg said people are idiots so would that stop say a smoker just popping out for a pack of cigs? I doubt it, so very leaky at best.

True.  They assume that people will follow the rules.  If they break the rules, even if they get caught and fined, it's kind of late and they could have given it to other people already.

On the other hand, if they weren't given any rules and just told to use their common sense, they might be even worse and infect a lot more people.

Some people supposed to be in quarantine here (near Berlin) have been caught M.I.A. by the Gesundheitsamt. They discovered 10 out of 55 people were not at home during random checks. That's pretty unnerving.

29 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Some people supposed to be in quarantine here (near Berlin) have been caught M.I.A. by the Gesundheitsamt. They discovered 10 out of 55 people were not at home during random checks. That's pretty unnerving.

In Italy they are catching infected people outside while they should be supposed to be in quarantine.

They can be charged for a crime that, translated literally from italian, is "procured pandemy". Till 5 years of jail.

Same in Portugal.

Also they keep arresting a lot of people for keeping some lowlife coffee shops opened, especially in immigrant background areas. They don´t seem to care about it.

5 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

are there any death statistics for smoker v non smoker?

Yes, many different studies, but being a smoker increases death risk considerably. Here is one showing 14x more likely to have serious illness.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/smokers-appear-to-be-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus-expert/

A Chinese study shows that being acute smoker is more risky than being very old. And so on...

Vaping is also considered to be as bad as smoking for this situation, but no good studies yet.

6 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Yes, many different studies, but being a smoker increases death risk considerably. Here is one showing 14x more likely to have serious illness.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/smokers-appear-to-be-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus-expert/

A Chinese study shows that being acute smoker is more risky than being very old. And so on...

Vaping is also considered to be as bad as smoking for this situation, but no good studies yet.

A read somewhere that heart disease is the number one risk.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51674743

Really worrying times.

Good news to be expected from Italy today!! While we wait for official country numbers, Lombardy already reported a sharp decline, 77 less deaths (-17%) than yesterday! If the rest of the country reports the same reduction, we are seeing the beginning of the end!

Bah, official numbers in, 837 deaths, a bit more than yesterday. I don't have regional data yet, but this means that now it is growing fast somewhere, if in Lombardia is going down.

Edit: sharp increase in Piedmont and perhaps other areas.So for now we are stuck on the plateau.

52 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

If the rest of the country reports the same reduction, we are seeing the beginning of the end!

It will only be the begining of the end it the "house arrest" stays in place for a good few months!...  As soon as the Ban is lifted, it will spread like wild fire again!...    Many folks will simply think " Woohoo... its all over gets get back to normal asaop..." and so it continues.

1 minute ago, SpiderPig said:

It will only be the begining of the end it the "house arrest" stays in place for a good few months!...  As soon as the Ban is lifted, it will spread like wild fire again!...    Many folks will simply think " Woohoo... its all over gets get back to normal asaop..." and so it continues.

I think there is a mindset that will continue for a long time. People will retain some of the germophobia while shopping and stuff. But of course young people will just party hard.

We also just need to gain time, for healthcare system to cope with it and for a vaccine/cure to be approved.

43 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

vaccine/cure to be approved.

You can´t keep half the world in lockdown until then. Especially not knowing when that will be. And certainly in third world countries where people don´t care whether thy can stop paying rent or mortgages for a few months but whether they´ll have something to eat this evening without work. The more time passes without a reasonable exit strategy the more I like my Kinderlandverschickung concept.