5,843 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I admit it all sounds very convincing, with a nice glossy video, but who's behind this big mask misinformation campaign? If it is the Czech government why aren't they sharing their evidence with other governments / the WHO instead of appealing to individuals in Youtube videos?

 

BTW Czech Republic has 280 cases per 1m, which is not far behind the UKs 326 cases per 1m. They do have a lot less deaths, which might suggest it's right. Or maybe they have less old people. Or maybe when people are forced to wear masks outside they stay in more.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's just say: it can't hurt, and it possibly/probably helps.

If only masks were available...

I have suggested to me daughter that she starts sewing them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Why are the various governments reccomending that its citizens make their way back to their homeland?

 

The UK response has been confusing, whereas I'm led to believe that the Australian and New Zealand Governments are asking for all citizens currently out of the country to return regardless of whether they are overseas residents or just out on a short-term basis.

 

So last week the FCO guidance seemed to be for British citizens to go back ASAP but it was unclear if they meant holidaymakers/travelers only. Listening to LBC last night, the presenter said the FCO advice includes British not resident in the UK, but then a few minutes later a caller in to the show was a British guy living in the US who had was told by the FCO earlier in the day that there was no need to come back to the UK, and the British consulate in Berlin have just tweeted that their advice to British in Germany is to only return to the UK if it's essential - so Dominic Raab, and the FCO and consulate/embassy, are giving mixed messages

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The German air force is flying in cases from Italy & France, could that be why the case statistics are so erratic?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

The German air force is flying in cases from Italy & France, could that be why the case statistics are so erratic?

 

These few won´t make a dent in the stats.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dembo said:

who's behind this big mask misinformation campaign? If it is the Czech government why aren't they sharing their evidence with other governments / the WHO instead of appealing to individuals in Youtube videos?

Because that´s not needed. All the experts are recommending it already. Except you.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mackle said:

 

The UK response has been confusing, whereas I'm led to believe that the Australian and New Zealand Governments are asking for all citizens currently out of the country to return regardless of whether they are overseas residents or just out on a short-term basis.

 

So last week the FCO guidance seemed to be for British citizens to go back ASAP but it was unclear if they meant holidaymakers/travelers only. Listening to LBC last night, the presenter said the FCO advice includes British not resident in the UK, but then caller in to the show after that was a British guy living in the US was told by the FCO earlier in the day that there was no need to come back to the UK, and the British consulate in Berlin have just tweeted that their advice to British in Germany is to only return to the UK if it's essential - so Dominic Raab, and the FCO and consulate/embassy, are giving mixed messages

 

As a British resident in Germany I know where I would rather be at the moment, back in the UK, definitely NOT. Very worried about my relatives there though.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

It has to be one rule for all, no exceptions. Go home and stay home. I don't care how young you are. Stick with the rules your country has imposed and you'll be OK.

That´s not always possible nor does it always make sense. E. g. in Cyprus you were allowed to walk your dog only once a day until they changed that today. Or in South Africa you´re not allowed to leave your neighbourhood. My GF has medication waiting for her in a distant pharmacy but doesn´t dare to go there and pick it up. Why should the risk be increased if your driving 10 km rather than 1 km as long as you´re alone in the car? You don´t have a chance to infect someone or get infected while driving.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that's what I mean. Children/teenagers ARE allowed to go for a bike ride.

 

There is no need for this outrage/finger pointing culture. Its not helpful at all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

As a British resident in Germany I know where I would rather be at the moment, back in the UK, definitely NOT. Very worried about my relatives there though.

Same here! Have relatives aged over 60 in London and they tell me that several pensioners have been robbed in broad daylight on their way to the supermarket between 8-9am which is reserved for elderly shoppers.

Makes you want to throw up!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

 

Where is the contradiction in

a ) closing the border

b ) allowing residents/citizens still outside to enter, combined with a quarantine period.

 

 

 

That is precisely the contradiction! A serious quarantine means nobody gets in or out.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dom said:

Same here! Have relatives aged over 60 in London and they tell me that several pensioners have been robbed in broad daylight on their way to the supermarket between 8-9am which is reserved for elderly shoppers.

Makes you want to throw up!

People who mug pensioners should get long gaol terms and no medical treatment. Fuck them.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

That is precisely the contradiction! A serious quarantine means nobody gets in or out.

 

 

The people who are actually in quarantine (returning residents/citizens) would not go in or out (of their quarantine). 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KLM has cancelled my flight home to Sweden from England .I assume they are cancelling most flights.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

 

 

The people who are actually in quarantine (returning residents/citizens) would not go in or out (of their quarantine). 

 

 

 

In Germany people in quarantine would think the are in their right to go out for jogging, to walk the dog, to go to the supermarket, to go to get fresh brotchen every morning, to receive packages from Amazon, and to go out and take pictures to post in social media complaining about people being outside.

 

My point is, even a good quarantine has lots of holes and you still have to trust people.  And we know we are all idiots.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

 

 

The people who are actually in quarantine (returning residents/citizens) would not go in or out (of their quarantine). 

 

 

But they have entered your quarantine (the safe area behind your closed borders) and that increases the risk. What will happen for example if they fall ill during the quarantine period, won't that then put medical staff who have to treat them at risk of infection and spreading it too? Before you know it you have an epidemic which is where we are in Europe but maybe there is still hope in the Republic, with so few cases hopefully it is not too late for containment. What you don't need though is to import further risks! (Even if they were wearing emerald green facemasks:lol:)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Krieg said:

 

In Germany people in quarantine would be allowed to go out for jogging, to walk the dog, to go to the supermarket, to go to get fresh brotchen every morning, to receive packages from Amazon, and to go out and take pictures to post in social media complaining about people being outside.

 

My point is, even a good quarantine has lots of holes and you still have to trust people.  And we know we are all idiots.

 

I think you are mixing up quarantine and the social isolation rules.  If a person might be sick and has been ordered to quarantine, they may not leave the house, see  https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/panorama/haeusliche-quarantaene-coronavirus-100.html  They should have other people do their shopping for them and leave it at the door.

 

If you were doing quarantine in Iceland though, you would be allowed to go jogging and walk the dog but not go near other people so no shopping.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Krieg said:

 

In Germany people in quarantine would be allowed to go out for jogging, to walk the dog, to go to the supermarket, to go to get fresh brotchen every morning, to receive packages from Amazon, and to go out and take pictures to post in social media complaining about people being outside.

 

My point is, even a good quarantine has lots of holes and you still have to trust people.  And we know we are all idiots.

 

Is this satire? The facts here:

 

 

Quote

 

Häusliche Quarantäne dauert zwei Wochen

Das Coronavirus verbreitet sich per Tröpfchen-Infektion. Die Inkubationszeit – das heißt, die Zeit von der Ansteckung bis zum Ausbruch der Krankheit – beträgt bis zu 14 Tage. Wurde bei Ihnen häusliche Quarantäne angeordnet, müssen Sie währenddessen zu Hause bleiben. Zur Arbeit gehen, Einkäufe erledigen oder Besuch empfangen ist tabu. Auch ein kurzer Spaziergang oder das Gassi gehen mit dem Hund ist verboten. Ob auch Tiere das Coronavirus kriegen können, lesen Sie hier.

Familienmitglieder oder weitere Personen, die im selben Haushalt leben, stehen automatisch auch unter Quarantäne. Ist eine Person im Haushalt ernsthaft an dem Coronavirus erkrankt, sollten die restlichen Familienmitglieder bestenfalls nicht im selben Raum schlafen oder essen - und idealerweise auch ein anderes Badezimmer nutzen. Ist dies nicht möglich, muss umso strenger auf konsequente Hygienemaßnahmen geachtet werden.

 

and more: https://www.rtl.de/cms/haeusliche-quarantaene-wegen-coronavirus-was-darf-ich-jetzt-noch-tun-und-was-nicht-4502760.html

Domestic quarantine lasts two weeks
The coronavirus spreads by droplet infection. The incubation period - i.e. the time from infection to outbreak of the disease - is up to 14 days. If you have been ordered to be quarantined at home, you must stay at home during this time. Going to work, shopping or receiving visitors is taboo. Even a short walk or taking the dog for a walk is forbidden. Whether animals can also get the coronavirus, read here.

Family members or other persons living in the same household are automatically quarantined. If one person in the household is seriously ill with the corona virus, the remaining family members should at best not sleep or eat in the same room - and ideally use a different bathroom. If this is not possible, all the more strict attention must be paid to consistent hygiene measures.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bramble said:

 

Is this satire? The facts here:

 

Indeed but as @Krieg said people are idiots so would that stop say a smoker just popping out for a pack of cigs? I doubt it, so very leaky at best.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now