5,777 posts in this topic

Border closures make absolute sense if you are actively tackling the spread internally. If you are letting it spread internally then closing an external border makes no sense but few countries on earth are taking this approach (anymore).

Let's say Germany or Ireland (where social distancing certainly looks to be succeeding) manages to flatten that curve, the last thing you want is to allow imported cases through an open border. This is especially true in Germany's case at the crossroads of Europe!

China has started to come out of lockdown but has had to introduce tighter controls at their external borders to prevent reimportation of the virus.

Every country will have to do the same IMO. There will be no complete return to normality globally unless and until a vaccine is in circulation. It makes no sense to go to all this effort and then throw the gates open again.

41 minutes ago, dom said:

this is a problem not only for the UK. What has it got to do with food prices? The borders are closed which is why there are no fruit-pickers or similar.

I'd draft 1000s of Millwall fans in, who are likely unemployed :P

Food prices have been maintained at low levels around the EU by using cheap labour mostly from eastern Europe. As you rightly point out with the borders closed there are no fruit pickers and similar, so either there will be no produce or you will have to pay those Millwall fans a living wage, which considering they will mostly be from London will be much higher than that of seasonal worker from Romania etc.:P Either way higher food prices!

For the UK as @fraufruit has pointed out it will also be a factor post brexit.

1 minute ago, murphaph said:

Let's say Germany or Ireland (where social distancing certainly looks to be succeeding) manages to flatten that curve, the last thing you want is to allow imported cases through an open border. This is especially true in Germany's case at the crossroads of Europe!

I agree. We (in Ireland) are in an ideal situation as an island and imo strict border measures would seem the obvious thing. But it's too late now.

6 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Border closures make absolute sense if you are actively tackling the spread internally. If you are letting it spread internally then closing an external border makes no sense but few countries on earth are taking this approach (anymore).

This is what happened to Singapore, after flattening the curve and been an example to the world they relaxed the rules and it is getting now out of control and they are now bringing even more extreme measures compared to the ones implemented during their first wave.

Their strategy was based on heavy detective work to find where every infected got the infection from and then immediate isolation including related people.  And it worked.   But then they called all citizens out of the country to go back home and relaxed the internal social rules and now they have plenty of cases they can't figure out where they came from.

I don't really agree that it's too late. A friend of mine is an immigration officer at Dublin airport. Even flights from the UK are mostly empty so at present there is little coming in. I see Coveney is meeting the NI authorities today. Hopefully they can agree a more coordinated approach as an island should. NI unionists have in the past been ok with all-island handling of such things as BSE and foot and mouth where NI livestock was considered Irish by the EU and could still be exported. This crisis should see NI treat humans as well as livestock and there should be controls on the movement of people between the whole island and GB (and everywhere else obviously).

I was glad to see that some of our €230m delivery of PPE will be shared with NI.

16 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Every country will have to do the same IMO. There will be no complete return to normality globally unless and until a vaccine is in circulation. It makes no sense to go to all this effort and then throw the gates open again.

Either that or we have all been infected and have recovered or died!:(

5 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I was glad to see that some of our €230m delivery of PPE will be shared with NI.

Yes, that is great. Now I want to see a strict face-mask policy enforced, on both sides.
Have you heard of any kind or repatriation scheme in place? My daughter's friend's husband is stuck in Mongolia for at least six weeks and needs to get back; he is Mongolian but this is his home. He has a wife (Irish) and two small children.

1 minute ago, arunadasi said:

Yes, that is great. Now I want to see a strict face-mask policy enforced, on both sides.
Have you heard of any kind or repatriation scheme in place? My daughter's friend's husband is stuck in Mongolia for at least six weeks and needs to get back; he is Mongolian but this is his home. He has a wife (Irish) and two small children.

You have been advocating a closed border policy but now you want repatriation scheme????

If it is combined with quarantine, what is the problem? Of course people should be allowed to go home. 

Fair enough people on holiday needing help repatriating but I don’t understand many expats getting government to fly them home?

They chose to live abroad 

11 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

If it is combined with quarantine, what is the problem? Of course people should be allowed to go home. 

Obviously you have not understood the discussion!

6 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

Fair enough people on holiday needing help repatriating but I don’t understand many expats getting government to fly them home?

They chose to live abroad 

Sure, they might have chosen to live in a poor country with nice beaches but when a pandemic hits, they kind of realize that health care isn't the best so they want to go home.

17 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

Face masks are proven not to be a huge help. 

1.4 billion Chinese disagree.

47 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Obviously you have not understood the discussion!

No, I am too stupid to understand. :blink:

Explain it to me, without reference to "the discussion".

Where is the contradiction in

a ) closing the border

b ) allowing residents/citizens still outside to enter, combined with a quarantine period.

I watched the UK presser yesterday and what's-his-name said that over 100,000 have been brought home and there are more than 100,000 still trying to get home.

14 hours ago, BradinBayern said:
17 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Says the really clever and sucsessfull guy who keeps coming back to TT to get his "Feel good" injection...

And why exactly are you here after 15,373 posts?  Nothing better to do?

Because haters gotta hate to feel good.

Might be better to post some real information.

I totally agree with this puch back against overzealous policing (mainly in the UK press) w/r this outbreak

Yes there were scenes of crowds on snowden (for EG)

But no one was individually at fault. 

They all individually thought ''its a mountain, loads of space''

this, combined with poorly worded/lack of detail in UK government announcements..

the problem is its a small, densely populated island.

I don't like all this point the finger, shame culture. Teenagers are being lambasted by old goats in the streets, they are allowed to go for a bike ride for F's sake

and then police using frigging drones at the lakes. Bastards.  

The trouble is, one person might think, "I'm just one person, I'm the exception, there's so much space."

But then 20, 30, 50, 100, 200 people think the same.

It has to be one rule for all, no exceptions. Go home and stay home. I don't care how young you are. Stick with the rules your country has imposed and you'll be OK.