4,866 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

812 deaths in Italy today. Definitely reached a plateau. At the same time, it is not dropping, so it is hard to predict when this is over.

m30.png.db2eec4a8d95dee227de5e08e4d70939

I've tried to smooth out more the data, but it is still inconclusive. We need some 3 consecutive days at 700 average or below.

Thanks for putting all these numbers together, MM. It's the same number (812) for Spain according to the official figures. This is a screengrab taken from elpais.com (leading Spanish newspaper). It's an ugly number but at least we are not seeing the number of victims doubling every couple of days anymore.

00Capture.PNG

17 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Oh dear. CBS News is a tad confused which hospital they are filming- US or Italy.

A 14 day ban and you come back with more fucking shite!

Go and grow your fucking Carrots you idiot!

Via Daringfireball Just Fucking Wow Great Depression anyone

FRIDAY’S NEW YORK TIMES FRONT PAGE VISUALIZATION OF U.S. UNEMPLOYMENT CLAIMS (PDF)

Brilliant data visualization of a sobering disaster. Like most of you, I’m sure, I seldom read a paper edition of a newspaper anymore. But this design is a good reminder of how expansive the space is on a broadsheet front page. This graphic both makes great use of that space and plays against the reader’s decades-old assumptions about how the front page of The Times is laid out. It’s an unprecedented, shocking design to present unprecedented, shocking data.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

They are not making any good attempt of lockdown. They have a Calvinist mindset, predestination, so they think that if god wants them to die, they will die. Even younger godless generations have that mindset, although ignoring where it comes from.

In fact the Netherlands is split north/south along Protestant/Catholic lines. I doubt the average Dutch person really believes that there's nothing they can do and it's just God's will. I mean if that were the case they would have drowned under the North Sea centuries ago but they fought back against the sea.

3 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Just heard on the radio, how easy you can get the virus:

Two people were sitting back to back in a canteen. One asked the other one for salt.

The salt and the virus were passed.

I think, it was Prof Drosten from the Charite who told this.

Conclusion: Even a grain of salt can be dangerous these days.

...and there are people who still use public transportation.

In my company canteen, they removed the salt and pepper pods altogetether, we we told, its people that breath on them them give them to another person, who then touches their face.

52 minutes ago, yesterday said:

In my company canteen, they removed the salt and pepper pods altogetether, we we told, its people that breath on them them give them to another person, who then touches their face.

Years ago I read about some research on how you get the common cold.  They got a few people to sit and chat for a bit.  Half had a cold, half didn't.  While they just chatted, sneezed and coughed, nobody was infected.  The second part of the experiment had them play cards.  In that case, something like 100% infection rate.  Whatever you take from the hands of an infected person is the same as shaking hands and is a risk to you.

8 hours ago, Keleth said:

Take it as a badge of honour to be ridiculed by him because it means you got under his skin and he has no true answer to your point.

I thought you sissies had "rhino skin"?  Now you are still in a tiff and find yourself "ridiculed" because I pointed out what experts had said (and are still saying).  I think the "social distancing" wil be good for you.  No one can give you a dirty look that will traumatise you for life. 

43 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

I thought you sissies had "rhino skin"?  Now you are still in a tiff and find yourself "ridiculed" because I pointed out what experts had said (and are still saying).  I think the "social distancing" wil be good for you.  No one can give you a dirty look that will traumatise you for life. 

WTF are you on about.

I had no part in the "conversation" about masks between you and Krieg.

I merely pointed out he should be pleased because as shown by this post when you have no actual argument you fall back on ridicule.

As to social distancing you are an expert at it I assume as you have most probably been practicing it your whole life.

2 hours ago, Smaug said:

Thanks for putting all these numbers together, MM. It's the same number (812) for Spain according to the official figures. This is a screengrab taken from elpais.com (leading Spanish newspaper). It's an ugly number but at least we are not seeing the number of victims doubling every couple of days anymore.

Weird part is that in both countries there is a relatively large plateau, 7 days in Spain, 11 in Italy. Really interested to see when it starts dropping in Italy, so we can also forecast for other countries.

Overall, it seems Spain woke up very late for the problem, but then containment seems to be working slightly better than in Italy, if we are to believe that the peak has been reached on both countries.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

WTF are you on about.

I had no part in the "conversation" about masks between you and Krieg.

I merely pointed out he should be pleased because as shown by this post when you have no actual argument you fall back on ridicule.

As to social distancing you are an expert at it I assume as you have most probably been practicing it your whole life.

Hmmm, no arguments?  Just the same as the WHO https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/world/coronavirus-who-masks-recommendation-trnd/index.html

2 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Says the really clever and sucsessfull guy who keeps coming back to TT to get his "Feel good" injection...

And why exactly are you here after 15,373 posts?  Nothing better to do?

19 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

And why exactly are you here after 15,373 posts?  Nothing better to do?

Its actually close to 85 thousand,,,,, but the mods quite like removing my twaddle...

But seriously... you know most things about most things... have the perfect car and perfect life biút look to tt for inspiration!!!

Me?   I have fiúck all better to do....    your go..

6 hours ago, Lorelei said:

I'm not endorsing this article, but thought it was interesting. Arch contrarian and conservative journalist Peter Hitchens' take on the situation:

There’s powerful evidence this Great Panic is foolish, yet our freedom is still broken and our economy crippled

Thank you for sharing this - I seldom agree with Peter Hitchens, but I always find his writing interesting

So droplets falling down or not. Breath hanging in the air for hours. As I said earlier, just stay the fuck away from people as much as possible. Wear a mask and gloves. Nobody can tell me that a mask isn't better than nothing. 

Putting up all this different "science" from different sources doesn't help without a solution.

7 hours ago, murphaph said:

In fact the Netherlands is split north/south along Protestant/Catholic lines. I doubt the average Dutch person really believes that there's nothing they can do and it's just God's will. I mean if that were the case they would have drowned under the North Sea centuries ago but they fought back against the sea.

I like the Dutch, having spent 6 years in Holland,  but if there's one nation that don't follow rules its them. Famous joke Dutch army seargent telling men to lay still in undergrowth for 3 hours without moving, and being told they thought of a better idea. (won't run thro complete joke involving British and Germans). 

That's why I'd be pleasantly amazed if they are disciplined enough to get social distancing to work. 

BTW Calvinist Holland is now a minority if you throw in the more liberal populations of the big cities, as well as the Catholic population of Noord Brabant and Limburg.  

"Only" 4,450 new cases in Germany yesterday (in comparison with nearly 7,000 for each of the 3 days at the end of last week). Also the number of recoveries has suddenly jumped up with 4,289 listed as recovered yesterday - which means the number of active cases has barely increased.

Probably good news.