4,884 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, yesterday said:

When people are dying of it, it is not just a fear

Yeah it is very dangerous but to lock oneself in the house is no possibility for the most ppl?

3 minutes ago, Ducktails said:

Yeah it is very dangerous but to lock oneself in the house is no possibility for the most ppl?

If things get bad and getting out of the house means 4% of chances of dying I don't think I would want to take my chances.

10 minutes ago, Krieg said:

There were 3700 people in that Cruise and a couple of infected people managed to spread it to another 700 ones, even after taking some measures.      Now they think the quarantine was a bad idea.

I think the way they attempted this quarantine was a bad idea! Historically, as I  I understand it, people would only be released from ships in quarantine once there was a period of no new infections which was never the case with that cruise ship. Also with 3700 people on board and sick people having to be being removed to hospital and ongoing testing for the virus, it was hardly a proper quarantine.

8 minutes ago, Ducktails said:

For this person it is, almost. If you don't want to die, you got to eat! Most food does not grow in the house.

I plan to die in my house anyway, what is wrong with this?

If you you are afraid of dying, leave vehicles of any kind alone. More people  are dying from accidents of travel than of this virus.

53 minutes ago, HEM said:

"fear".

It is not just fear.  The virus is now spreading in Singapore, these have been the measures they have been taking, in what I think it is their chronological order:

- Air Border with Mainland China is restricted, some flights were suspended.

- Thermal screening implemented when entering the country via land, air and sea.

- Visa issuing to Chinese citizens is suspended.  Already issued visas are considered not valid.

- Singapore citizens coming from China sent to mandatory (paid) 14 days leave of absence.   They were requested to stay at home and go out only to buy food.

- People who recently traveled to certain areas were put in mandatory quarantine.

- Advisory to schools, hospitals, etc is emitted by the government to inform the people how to minimize risks.

- Large scale events are "recommended" to be suspended.  (Recommended is quoted due to this being Singapore).

- Small scale events can go on, but temperature screenings should be implemented and people who recently traveled to China should not be included.

- Government start chasing and fining businesses profiting from the crisis (increasing prices of products in high demand).  (Yay, the most "libertarian" country in the world does not like free markets anymore)

- Citizens staying at home on leave of absence are now not allowed to go out at all.

- Travelers who visited China in the past 14 days can't enter the country.  They are not even allowed to take connection flights via Singapore.

Our offices in Singapore have now temperature screening at the entrance.

So I think it is serious business.   I see not much action in Europe and the virus is starting to spread.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

What good does all the temperature screening do when one can be carrying the virus without having any symptoms such as fever?

It stops the ones with fever.   Are you telling me they shouldn't do it because it does not catch everyone?  The perfect solution fallacy?

3 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Are you telling me they shouldn't do it because it does not catch everyone?

Not telling anything. Only asking.

A tad nervous as we're flying to Mallorca on Sat. I only found one case of corona virus there - a Brit expat. 

This won't be controlled, it will become a seasonal virus like others, affecting most of the population each year. Eventually they will make vaccines and avoid deaths among elderly people. Wonder what anti-vaxxers will say...

The long lasting virus tend to be less deadly, this is why this one is different from SARS and why it will prosper.

It also means that future mutations will probably make it less deadly.

Now the interesting discussion is how governments can try to force pharmas to develop vaccines for these types of virus. Usually pharmas don't want to get involved due to costly development, low margin and potential liability. That is why there was no follow up on SARS vaccines.

Rolls eyes heavenwards. WTF is going on? Why are taxes being squandered this way?

The old and frail and otherwise compromised poor souls have always been helped off by respiratory infections. Pneumonia is known as the "old people's friend" where I come from. They did not used to waste public money keeping and inventing and misinterpreting statistics and then implementing wild policies based on same. Heads must roll.

Why are they disinfecting pavements in moon suits and using security personnel to enforce lockdowns? This is not a Justinian plague or the bubonic plague or ebola. It's a flu-like job that the vast majority of people will recover from. Who has never had a good dose of flu?

If you happen to have a fever for another reason, you now get banged up with the infectious and bingo, your fate is sealed. What has happened to common sense?

Hachoo! Oh dear...

45 minutes ago, optimista said:

Rolls eyes heavenwards. WTF is going on? Why are taxes being squandered this way?

The old and frail and otherwise compromised poor souls have always been helped off by respiratory infections. Pneumonia is known as the "old people's friend" where I come from. They did not used to waste public money keeping and inventing and misinterpreting statistics and then implementing wild policies based on same. Heads must roll.

Why are they disinfecting pavements in moon suits and using security personnel to enforce lockdowns? This is not a Justinian plague or the bubonic plague or ebola. It's a flu-like job that the vast majority of people will recover from. Who has never had a good dose of flu?

If you happen to have a fever for another reason, you now get banged up with the infectious and bingo, your fate is sealed. What has happened to common sense?

Hachoo! Oh dear...

Absolutely right on the button there if you believe what we are being told about the seriousness of this virus! On the other hand if you are a little more sceptical and have been surprised that the actions taken to combat the virus seem to be way over the top, then you may come to a different conclusion.

Statements,  for example that the British Health service is well prepared for an outbreak when it is patently obvious that a lack of staff and facilities have left it struggling to cope effectively with even normal demands over the last 5 years or so, just add to the view that we are not being told the whole truth.

42 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Absolutely right on the button there if you believe what we are being told about the seriousness of this virus! On the other hand if you are a little more sceptical and have been surprised that the actions taken to combat the virus seem to be way over the top, then you may come to a different conclusion.

Statements,  for example that the British Health service is well prepared for an outbreak when it is patently obvious that a lack of staff and facilities have left it struggling to cope effectively with even normal demands over the last 5 years or so, just add to the view that we are not being told the whole truth.

We're probably not being told the whole truth, not necessarily for any underhand reason but simply because the experts don't yet know the whole truth.

3 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

We're probably not being told the whole truth, not necessarily for any underhand reason but simply because the experts don't yet know the whole truth.

my company has today banned all foreign business trips until mid-March because of the outbreak in Europe. This is serious! The firm will lose money and productivity but is still willing to take this risk!

53 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

They already knew before we did. Bezos sold 1bn worth of his own shares in Amazon two weeks ago. 

Apple already know what action to take. Their assessment seems that the crisis has already peaked, and that their stores in China are already slowly reopening:

Stock markets took a whack but will rebound. 

Here's the conspiracy -

Stock disposals by Amazon.com Inc.’s founder and chief executive officer over the past week have reached 1.7 million shares, or $3.45 billion, according to the latest round of regulatory filings.

The stock has ticked higher regardless, gaining 9.6% since Jan. 30, the day before his sales began. The transactions are part of a pre-arranged trading plan.

An Amazon spokesman declined to comment.

That brings Bezos’s total stock sales to more than $13 billion, with the majority occurring in the past four years, according to calculations by Bloomberg. Bezos, 56, said in 2017 that he was selling about $1 billion a year in Amazon stock to fund Blue Origin LLC, his space flight company.

The rocket builder has since expanded operations and signaled its first human test flights this year.

(article dated Feb. 7)

He's buying a lot of art, too, for the new mansion he just bought for himself and his lover.

18 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

They already knew before we did. Bezos sold 1bn worth of his own shares in Amazon two weeks ago. 

16 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

Conspiracy o' clock already?

Nope. Fact o'clock, pal.

Jeff Bezos has sold nearly $4.1 billion worth of Amazon shares in the past 11 days

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/11/jeff-bezos-sold-4point1-billion-worth-of-amazon-shares-in-past-week.html

it was 4.1 billion, not 1, my mistake.

22 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

Conspiracy o' clock already?

For investors, the best scenario: contagious "superstar" virus spreading across the globe, causing necessary AND unnecessary panic, leading to a PREDICTABLE decline in stock prices...

As of today, still not an official pandemic, just a superstar. Give it a month, and stock prices will be back on track! ;);)

.. including Iran’s deputy Health Minister, Wulfrun!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51628484