5,814 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

756 deaths in Italy today. Big coincidence, it is exactly the same as the average for the past 7 days (inclusive). Meaning we are at the peak, just unsure for how long this plateau lasts.

I notice there were more (821) deaths in Spain yesterday.

I also notice there's a drop in the new cases in Germany, though that may simply be because it was Sunday. Last weekend there was also a drop in numbers, but if it's that simple you'd expect a corresponding jump on Monday.

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

I also notice there's a drop in the new cases in Germany, though that may simply be because it was Sunday.

Let´s rather hope it´s a reflection of the first restrictions introduced slightly more than a week ago.

What a difference hitting >2000 deaths makes. From the Sunday presser.

Trump, Thursday: “I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators.”

Reporter, today: “You’ve said repeatedly that you think some of the equipment that governors are requesting they don’t actually need.…”

Trump: “I didn’t say that. I didn’t say that. I didn’t say that.”

19 hours ago, Krieg said:

It is sad, but they thought universal healthcare was a commie thing.   There is much to learn from all these and I honestly hope the lessons are actually learnt.

You think this will make any difference in the long run ?

Why do you think the 1st rescue package the US tried was massively beneficial for businesses rather than people.

This will I believe turn out beneficial for the insurers in the long run.They`ll end up just having stricter controls on who in cases such as a pandemic will be covered etc.Plus they`ll probably end up making even more from this pandemic because they`ll raise premiums to cover this sort of thing in the future and to keep their profits up.

It basically seems to be that many of those who have adequate insurance simply couldn`t give a fuck about those who don`t.The biggest disaster to date was 911 and even now they`re trying to cut benefits for the first responders etc.

Money seems to be the driving force behind everything in the USA no matter the cost to people.You see now so many people concerned more about the economy rather than people surviving this.You hear people when arguing about public health insurance that why should successful companies such as Amazon etc take a cut in their profits so that their workers are looked after.

Now the Democrats have gone for Biden then nothing is going to change in regards to health insurance because the gravy train has to be kept running at all costs.

17 hours ago, Acton said:

Sorry, just had to share this. Some countries' cultures seem unable to adapt to changing circumstances.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=k70x7_1585414440

This is why I said a few weeks ago that a (successful) lock-down in India is unimaginable. If you have not been there it is impossible to even imagine the crowding and the physical closeness of people. Also, so many small traders live from one day's earnings to the next and they survive by being out in public -- rickshaw drivers at the forefront. And many people in the city have no real homes, they come from the country and simply crowd together in dorms, leaving families at home. Then there are areas like Kamathipura, the red light district of Mumbai. Who will care for the thousands of prostitutes there and in other megacities; certainly not the pimps and madams; they are maligned and mistreated even in ordinary times.
I can imagine it spreading like wildfire. Luckily that is not the case as yet.

I wonder if the heat really has an effect? In South India March and April are the hottest months, almost unbearable. Yet the death rate is low, and there are no reports of overcrowded hospitals.

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

This is why I said a few weeks ago that a (successful) lock-down in India is unimaginable. If you have not been there it is impossible to even imagine the crowding and the physical closeness of people. Also, so many small traders live from one day's earnings to the next and they survive by being out in public -- rickshaw drivers at the forefront. And many people in the city have no real homes, they come from the country and simply crowd together in dorms, leaving families at home. Then there are areas like Kamathipura, the red light district of Mumbai. Who will care for the thousands of prostitutes there and in other megacities; certainly not the pimps and madams; they are maligned and mistreated even in ordinary times.
I can imagine it spreading like wildfire. Luckily that is not the case as yet.

I wonder if the heat really has an effect? In South India March and April are the hottest months, almost unbearable. Yet the death rate is low, and there are no reports of overcrowded hospitals.

I am also wondering about the heat as well. When I look at the map, it has overrun the Northern Hemisphere, but the Southern Hemisphere is mild. That is just pure speculation, but I’m hoping, for our sake, that heat has something to do with it. However, it would be devastating to countries like India and the southern African continent. 

We’ll probably know more by June. I read an Atlantic article the other day https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-social-distancing-over-back-to-normal/608752/ (not sure if it has been posted here or not), and the main thing I got out of it is that we will know a bit more by June. 

18 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I read a little bit about corona bonds over the weekend. I suspect the corona virus will probably break up the Eurozone  then the EU. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/virtual-summit-real-acrimony-eu-leaders-clash-over-corona-bonds/

Another article.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-eu-governments-bicker-over-corona-bond-to-help-pay-for-crisis-11964462

That´s just wishful thinking from you.

3 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

That´s just wishful thinking from you.

So no link, no argument.

Haven`t we been here before on the Tesla thread?

50 minutes ago, Krieg said:

More on the "You do not need a mask" stories:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/opinion/coronavirus-face-masks.html

I remember when I was ridiculed by @BradinBayern for insisting they were useful.  Things are slowly changing and it is becoming obvious it was a mistake.

How much you wearing a mask (unless it`s meant for the cause)is still debatable.

However if every single person wore a mask it would make a massive difference.

56 minutes ago, Krieg said:

More on the "You do not need a mask" stories:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/opinion/coronavirus-face-masks.html

I remember when I was ridiculed by @BradinBayern for insisting they were useful.  Things are slowly changing and it is becoming obvious it was a mistake.

Take it as a badge of honour to be ridiculed by him because it means you got under his skin and he has no true answer to your point.

26 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

So no link, no argument.

Haven`t we been here before on the Tesla thread?

You are the one who has to present credible arguments.

What we see now is pressure from Italy, Spain, Portugal for Coronabonds.

There have been similar disagreements in the past, even stronger during 2008, and nothing happened.

Nobody would be stupid enough to start an EU exit now. You don´t add mess over mess. Each country has a lot on their plate right now. The EU must be there for the economical recovery.

I see here in Munich people still hanging around. I think they don't have still perception of the danger. They are not "scared", it is still for them an issue of other countries, just death tolls on news.

I am Italian and I was following since Feb (i guess in much more detail ) what was happening in my country. One month ago talking with colleagues I could see the difference in perception of the danger. I was complaining about the lacks of restrictive measures or even complete lockdown (the sooner, the better) they were saying they were satisfied how the government was taking care of that.

Me and my gf started a kind of personal lockdown/quarantine earlier than the one ordered by the Bavarian government. 

I was reading an article on an italian newspaper saying that the chinese community in Milan started its own lockdown way before the italian governement ordered it. I guess the same happened in my case here in Germany and for many italians abroad.

People are dying. In some northern provinces (for example Bergamo ones) the count of bodies is so high that not only the local crematorium are saturated but also, now, the ones in all the north of Italy. They are moving bodies to the crematorium in center italy. Bodies in the coffin are "parked" and "buffered" in the churches and since few weeks Army has been called to manage this transport of bodies in a safe way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKT3Ypxzu4s

https://statics.cedscdn.it/photos/MED/83/28/5118328_2328_bergamo.jpg

Since weeks many nurses and doctors are not coming back home to their families in order to avoid to put them in danger. They started to rent together apartments near the hospitals and they live there now. From non official channels i got info that in some (very few I guess) cases a saturation point was reached in term of respirator utilization and that doctors started to make choices like "put the old patients on pain killer (he/she has less chance to survive) and give the respirator to the younger one". This I guess was one week ago and more, when the number of cases was rampaging and the building of additional hypercare stations in hospital was still ongoing.

Most of my relatives are in the south but some of them in the North and friends or friend's relative got Corona (luckily not in a strong way). Perception from their words is that it is easy to get it and they ask us (abroad and in the south) to please do not underevaluate it and stay at home. I guess that there in the north of Italy the number of hidden cases is so high that we have a real epidemy and that is why is so easy to get infected.

In the disgrace Italy got extremely "lucky" because the most affected region (Lombardia/Lombardy) is the one with better health infrastructure in Italy. It is like besieging cannons are firing against the strongest and thickest section of the walls of the city.

If the same would have happened in the south of Italy I can grant you it would have been a totally different story.

12 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

You are the one who has to present credible arguments.

What we see now is pressure from Italy, Spain, Portugal for Coronabonds.

There have been similar disagreements in the past, even stronger during 2008, and nothing happened.

Nobody would be stupid enough to start an EU exit now. You don´t add mess over mess. Each country has a lot on their plate right now. The EU must be there for the economical recovery.

How will Italy and Spain will pay for all the recovery?

Bolsonaro's Twitter account was blocked for the same reason.

P.S., I predict a coup in the next two weeks in Brazil.

57 minutes ago, Frantic said:

I guess that there in the north of Italy the number of hidden cases is so high that we have a real epidemy and that is why is so easy to get infected.

Kid#2 got back from the UK a week ago - he and a girl were the last of the 10 housemates to go, and she was heading home to northern Italy - her family is as yet not infected but oh crikey - I get why she wants to go home, but firstly the journey was pretty hard, and secondly, it just doesn't seem like a place to head towards right now.

I hope your family stay safe - strange times.

Just read in the Local that Barbarians more than anyone else are flouting the restrictions. Saw photos and looks like a typical summer day in Munich, loads of people out enjoying the spring summer weather. This might explain why the numbers keep rising in Germany. 

There's talk of the restrictions lasting into summer maybe even to the fall. if people are flouting it now imagine in 4 weeks.

I suppose the only hope is a good culling.

3 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

Just read in the Local

Well, there's the problem right there.