4,870 posts in this topic

@fraufruit

I thank God for Cuomo. My whole family is in NY (NYC and LI area) and I’m so happy that at least he is in charge. There is a lot of history between Trump and the Cuomos and so much backstory that it gets muddled up in what they really should be doing—leading. Cuomo is doing his job, but Trump is just being vindictive. I wonder if it would have been different if it were Mario and not Andrew. 

This is interesting -

As hospitals face an overload of COVID-19 patients struggling to breathe, innovative medical staff are turning to snorkelling masks from sports stores to stop their lungs collapsing.

The idea started in Italy, the European country worst-hit by the coronavirus pandemic, with hospitals in other nations taking note and adding their own specific medical parts to make it work.

One such is the Erasme Hospital on the outskirts of Belgium's capital Brussels. It is attached to the city's ULB university -- and through it to a private spin-off, Endo Tools Therapeutics, whose knowhow in 3D printing for medical use has proved invaluable.

"They are to be used for patients with severe respiratory problems. The aim is to avoid having to intubate the trachea of the patient and put them on a respirator," said Frederic Bonnier, a respiratory physiotherapist at the hospital who also teaches at the university.

how it works

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

To me it seems they just made some practical tests and published the reports.  I have always thought the masks help.  If some people think they make them invincible that's another thing, but I believe it is better than nothing.

It was quite a few weeks ago now, but I remember getting on the S-Bahn and seeing one man in a mask and doing what everyone else was doing and sitting as far away from him as possible. So that's probably the main way masks are effective - making you look scary so that everyone stays away from you. But that only works if there are a small number of people with masks.

And then there's also the fact that with a mask on you won't touch your face as much. That probably also helps.

I guess it's far to say that wearing a mask won't increase your chances of being infected. But this is all sounding like populism now: people believing that masks are the magic answer that solves all problems and that "they" don't want you to know about it. You know: "them" - the liberal elite, the so called "experts" who use so called "evidence" rather than what is patently obvious to you and the bloke in the pub that told you, and before you know it people are believing the answer to Covid-19 is to build a wall between the US and China.

41 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

There is a lot of history between Trump and the Cuomos and so much backstory that it gets muddled up in what they really should be doing—leading. Cuomo is doing his job, but Trump is just being vindictive. I wonder if it would have been different if it were Mario and not Andrew.

YEP  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/24/nyregion/trump-cuomo-history-new-york.html?auth=login-email&login=email

@klingklang77  Our crew is in Westchester.  Thinking of you and yours. 🤞

9 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Thinking of yours in Westchester. 

Thanks for the article. LIke it says, Trump was a big donor to Mario and the Democratic Party so he could get by with his real estate. And it worked. But now Trump has this entitlement that because he donated so much that Andrew should just do what he is told. He was a donor to the Clintons as well. 

Trump doesn’t seem to realize that his money will not save him this time. 

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

Our arrogance has cost lives. Hopefully this is a valuable lesson to us to act in unison and act quickly when this happens again. The EU need to develop a unified response strategy for these things for the future, including guaranteed financial help for any EU region that needs locking down. Fear of localised economic consequences has led to a much greater problem globally.

I read a little bit about corona bonds over the weekend. I suspect the corona virus will probably break up the Eurozone  then the EU. 

https://www.politico.eu/article/virtual-summit-real-acrimony-eu-leaders-clash-over-corona-bonds/

Another article.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-eu-governments-bicker-over-corona-bond-to-help-pay-for-crisis-11964462

756 deaths in Italy today. Big coincidence, it is exactly the same as the average for the past 7 days (inclusive). Meaning we are at the peak, just unsure for how long this plateau lasts.

Today/tomorrow marks 3 weeks since lockdown in Italy. Maybe this is the metric to use in the future: around 2-3 weeks to reach the peak. Let's see exactly when it start dropping. If it still takes one more week to start dropping, it means that it takes around 2 weeks to reach peak, then it stays at a plateau for long. If this is true, perhaps it means that going back to zero deaths will take a long, long time.

Just checked ebay for a basic cloth face mask and they have loads for under 10€.

checked Amazon as well and well over 25€ each for the same mask.

Decided anytime I'm in a store I wearing this mask. They had a nice with F**K You but I wanted it without the dots.

s-l1600.jpg

52 minutes ago, john g. said:

https://www.dw.com/en/german-state-finance-minister-thomas-schäfer-found-dead/a-52948976

Hessen‘s Finance Minister found dead - likely suicide as a result of the stress dealing with corona.

In a comment to an article in an online newspaper I read the he was engaged in interest rate contracts 2011.

However, since the interest rates are low and will very likely stay low in future Hasse will loose billions.

Sounds more reasonable for me. He is responsible for this, but not for Corona.

2 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

In a comment to an article in an online newspaper I read the he was engaged in interest rate contracts 2011.

However, since the interest rates are low and will very likely stay low in future Hasse will loose billions.

Sounds more reasonable for me. He is responsible for this, but not for Corona.

Please post source...

9 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I watched Gov. Cuomo's press conference yesterday. The man is brilliant. He explained their need for 30,000 ventilators in a language that even Trump can understand. When one reporter told him that Trump said that he had talked to Cuomo about closing the borders and quarantining the state, Cuomo said they talked about 2 things but not that and he didn't even know what it meant. When Trump was caught in the lie later he said, I'm "going to talk to Cuomo later today about that."

I swear I would vote for Cuomo for president if he was on the ticket.

I could not agree with you more

He always comes across as reasonable,  human, professional and kind.

unlike the feelings I have for trump

And full of venom for people who 'don't like him, by which he means people who call out his lies. Or people, especially women, and more especially, women of color, who stand up to him. 
Well, hell, just plain people who expect him to know how to do his job and to do it impartially. That's a lot to expect from a five-year-old (five on a good day) - no wonder he loses it.

17 hours ago, Krieg said:

It is sad, but they thought universal healthcare was a commie thing.   There is much to learn from all these and I honestly hope the lessons are actually learnt.

You should pose that question on the Presidential 2020 blah blah blah thread and direct it to @El Jeffo and @AlexTr  who have nothing but venom for Bernie Sanders.     Most "progressives" in the US talk tough, but when it is time to make decisions or vote, they support the wing of the party financed by billionaires, and the "progressives" who are part of the professional/managerial class are very happy with the status quo.