4,871 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Tap said:

I know the general area where you live arunadasi, the population of the whole of Monaghan is only about 60,000, so it's not exactly a hive of activity.  I just thought your comment about people in the Republic being worried about people from Northern Ireland coming over the boarder was a bit unfair, they both have reasons to worry.

True enough. I think the whole island should have isolated itself from the start. Living on an island we are lucky to have this option.
Iwas mostly speaking from my own personally situation, because Monaghan town is the nearest shopping opportunity for many north of the border. It's true that it's only a few people, relatively speaking, though.

You are right in a specific instance that I know of, so I concede. My daughter and her parents-in-law are more or less isolated in a family unit in a quiet northern village, just down the road from each other. But the other day, her sister in law, who lives in Dundalk, moved in with her parents. Immediately red lights went off in my head. This woman, who is lovely btw, lives the kind of bohemian life that I suspect opens her to contagion. She is a freelance singer and an actress, she does gigs in pubs in Dublin and Dundalk and Belfast; very open and fun loving. She lives mostly hand to mouth, gets artists grants etc, doesn't even earn enough to pay tax. She could no longer afford her rent so she moved in with the parents. The moment I heard this, I said that I'm not going back to my daughter's place. I don;t think they can keep her away; she's so energetic and gregarious (in a lovely Irish way) and immediately I thought: danger! I'm a bit worried about my daughter, frankly. I don't want her near this woman.
But what can you do?

But the new rules mean that I at least have an excuse to not visit.

2 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Was it last weekend the rules started to be enforced? So if it's two weeks incubation we have another week to wait before we start to see a difference.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, will take another 2-3 weeks to see if it changes.

What are the rules around exercise?

Wife and I are biking and walking each lunch, is there an issue taking the car and biking hiking in different areas? 

54 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Gov. of Michgan claims that the state is not getting medical equipment and supplies they have ordered saying suppliers have been told not to ship to Michigan.

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2020/03/trump-blocking-emergency-medical-supplies-from-being-sent-to-michigan-because-he-doesnt-like-the-nasty-woman-governor-who-said-mean-things

Governor of Michigan has threatened the license of Doctors who prescribe Hydrochoriquine and Choroquine off label.    As far as I have read, Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit and U of Michigan Medical Center are using Chloroquine and Hydrochloroquine to treat patients.  

You would think she has more important things to do.    Maybe her judgement is bad.

https://eu.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/2020/03/26/opinion-michigans-doctors-fight-coronavirus-and-governors-office/2922272001/

The rule is a the moment

You are allowed, to out side for walking and  jogging, with a maximum group size of 2 people - or families.

You can use your car for going to work, but you are not supposed to use it for private reasons, except shopping, medical reasons etc, but I would imagine, you will not get stopped by the police, and probably not a fine either.

By I would urge you not to do it, you should do what the Government is asking you to do, stay inside as much as you can, its the best way at the moment to defeat the virus - each time you go to a different area you increase the spreading risk - please act in a responsible way at this moment

6 minutes ago, yesterday said:

You can use your car for going to work, but you are not supposed to use it for private reasons, except shopping, medical reasons etc, but I would imagine, you will not get stopped by the police, and probably not a fine either.

Yeah that was my thought, car should be used only for shopping work and doctors visits

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, will take another 2-3 weeks to see if it changes.

What are the rules around exercise?

Wife and I are biking and walking each lunch, is there an issue taking the car and biking hiking in different areas? 

Perfectly ok.

https://warnung.bund.de/meldung/Coronavirus:_Informationen_des_Bundesministeriums_f%C3%BCr_Gesundheit_zur_Erweiterung_der_Leitlinien_zur_Beschr%C3%A4nkung_von_sozialen_Kontakten/DE-NW-BN-SE030-20200325-30-004

"- 4. Der Weg zur Arbeit, zur Notbetreuung, Einkäufe, Arztbesuche, Teilnahme an Sitzungen, erforderliche Terminen und Prüfungen, Hilfe für andere oder individueller Sport und Bewegung an der frischen Luft sowie andere notwendige Tätigkeiten bleiben selbstverständlich weiter möglich."

Edit: The air may be better anywhere at the moment, but sometimes you have to get there nonetheless - and here in Bavaria at the press conference one week ago that was one of the questions. The answer was that it's allowed to drive to a parking lot with your car near a forest and take a walk etc. from there!

😖
12 minutes ago, balticus said:

Governor of Michigan has threatened the license of Doctors who prescribe Hydrochoriquine and Choroquine off label.    As far as I have read, Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit and U of Michigan Medical Center are using Chloroquine and Hydrochloroquine to treat patients.  

You would think she has more important things to do.    Maybe her judgement is bad.

Maybe she wants to make sure that the drug is still available for the patients that really need it.

I noticed the Irish lockdown said "within 2Km of your home" and I think other countries have similar. In Germany we're lucky in that regard. 

6 hours ago, optimista said:
18 hours ago, optimista said:

Many of them may find out how tough and resilient they actually are and will make it without hospital treatment.

Yes, I was perhaps foolhardy. You only know afterwards. I feel lucky.

To be honest, I think you ran a really big (and unnecessary) risk there.

Glad you're getting better.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Indeed, it's the body's own immune system going into overdrive that has killed a lot of people from what I understand. I certainly wouldn't be relying on past exposure to other illnesses to get me through this one.

Exactly. There are indications (only that, not enough hard data yet) that the disease can trigger severe autoimmune responses (cytokine storms), i.e. the immune system going into *overdrive*, attacking the own body and causing multi organ failure.

Severe autoimmune responses are wellknown in ICUs, and are treated (among other things) with massive doses of cortisone, but it's quite tricky and has lots of side effects.

All this is one of the reasons certain German ICUs are accepting French and Italian patients (being flown in by the German Army as we speak) - they still have capacities to treat them with more innovative methods and learn more, giving the patients a fighting chance at the same time.

25 minutes ago, yesterday said:

The rule is a the moment

You are allowed, to out side for walking and  jogging, with a maximum group size of 2 people - or families.

As I understand it a cycle ride is also allowed. Please correct me if wrong.

The Irish authorities believe if we achieve 90% reduction in social contacts the virus can be contained in 3 months, 80% in 4 months and 70% not at all!!

We will walk to the lake today and enjoy the sun. We may not be allowed out at all in 2 weeks. 

18 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

As I understand it a cycle ride is also allowed. Please correct me if wrong.

As i understand it, yes a cycle ride is allowed, but not put your bike in the car drive to a different area and cycle there.

again, we are all advised to isolate as much as possible, to reduce the spread risk - the more we follow this the quicker the virus will go away - I am still allowed to use the underground in Munich, but I do not because I think the spread risk is more than walking, to  my local shop

I know its boring to do the same walk in the park every day, but thats the way it is at the moment, as far as I understand

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

Trump's grandiose thinking is going to kill a lot of people.

Unfortunately, according to Politico, it looks like Uncle Larry has a hotline to Trump's ear. My ex found this story quite amusing ("see, even your CEO listens to Klinghardt") whereas I found it quite nauseating. 

Trump began championing two decades-old malaria medicines last week after a phone call with Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison, a top Trump campaign donor. Ellison offered to build the government a database to track off-label prescriptions of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, which had spiked by 7,000 percent after anecdotal reports that the drugs could aid coronavirus patients.

“Larry Ellison had a conversation with the president and said, ‘What’s being done?’” recounted David Agus, a University of Southern California cancer doctor close to Ellison who is now involved in the administration’s coronavirus response. “The president said, ‘Let me get back to you.’”

I was surprised yesterday at the amount of cars that were out and about when I went walking. I had to cross the street several times to avoid people walking toward me - especially the 3 groups that I saw of 6 or more people. I don't know what they were thinking. Could have been families I guess.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I was surprised yesterday at the amount of cars that were out and about when I went walking. I had to cross the street several times to avoid people walking toward me - especially the 3 groups that I saw of 6 or more people. I don't know what they were thinking. Could have been families I guess.

I've been cycling through Enkheimwald on my way to grocery shop, and am always amazed by how many large groups of people I see, and they are taking up pretty much the whole width of the path

12 minutes ago, Mackle said:

Unfortunately, according to Politico, it looks like Uncle Larry has a hotline to Trump's ear. My ex found this story quite amusing ("see, even your CEO listens to Klinghardt") whereas I found it quite nauseating. 

So far, on the topic of hydroxychloroquine, I have seen this past week one Chinese study with a cohort of 6 and one French study with a cohort of 42 that suggest this may work. HOWEVER, NEITHER WERE BLIND OR RANDOMIZED and BOTH WERE IN THE SAME HOSPITAL WITH PATIENTS FROM THE AREA. This means that any mutation of the virus was not accounted for and also that the health conditions of the people were relatively homogeneous. Furthermore, both studies insist on azithromycin as an adjunct and both studies EXPRESSLY STATE THAT MANY PATIENTS CANNOT TOLERATE THIS DRUG due to its contraindication in patients with CVD, arrhythmia, diabetes, liver or kidney disease, or unchecked alcoholism. Literally any weakness of the heart, liver, kidneys, or pancreas makes a patient not a candidate for this drug.

1 hour ago, Smaug said:

Maybe she wants to make sure that the drug is still available for the patients that really need it.

Do you expect a malaria outbreak in Michigan?    As likely as Hell freezing over.  

You should read the article before trolling. :rolleyes:

Hydroxychloroquine sulfate ( Plaquenil®) is an anti-malarial medication approved for the following uses:

Image courtesy of rxlist.com

rxlist.com

• Prevention and treatment of certain types of malaria infections.
  • Treatment of lupus (including systemic lupus erythematosus and chronic discoid lupus).
  • Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis .