4,884 posts in this topic

Yes, I was perhaps foolhardy. You only know afterwards. I feel lucky.

I plan to follow @optimista plan when I get it. I have Turmeric, Paracetamol, and Ventolin. 

I'll go to the hospital if I'm turning blue, and will hope to get it at a time when there are actually free hospital places.

80% can fight this virus without help, and after years of being careless about hygiene while travelling in some very dubious places; my immune system is a battle hardened veteran

On 3/25/2020, 3:55:33, JG52 said:

Prince Charles will self-isolate with Covid 19.

Prince Andrew will self-isolate with Amanda 16.

And the UK will self-isolate with Brexit-16.

11 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

does that include the complete island?

No just the republic. NI following UK procedures.

1 hour ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

80% can fight this virus without help, and after years of being careless about hygiene while travelling in some very dubious places; my immune system is a battle hardened veteran

Careful with that approach, it seems that "battle hardened"  immune systems may be the major problem which is why children are far less subject to the worst consequences of the virus.

11 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Indeed, it's the body's own immune system going into overdrive that has killed a lot of people from what I understand. I certainly wouldn't be relying on past exposure to other illnesses to get me through this one.

Friend of mine living 40 metres from here has tested positive. We have been social distancing so cancelled our planned game of cards last weekend. Dodged a bullet there, for now. He's starting to feel better after a rough week of severe flu like symptoms.

I'm very pleased with Varadkar's response. And really relieved that, even though there is only one confirmed case in my county, people are being sensible. I think people trust him a lot because he is a doctor.
So, in the next two weeks, only those who  are already infected will get sick. Hopefully when we all emerge things will be much slower,

For once I would welcome a border control here, to prevent all those Northern Islanders from coming over! I already told my daughter to do her shopping "over there".

4 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I'm very pleased with Varadkar's response. And really relieved that, even though there is only one confirmed case in my county, people are being sensible. I think people trust him a lot because he is a doctor.

For once I would welcome a border control here, to prevent all those Northern Islanders from coming over! I already told my daughter to do her shopping "over there".

Ah, so now a hard border would be OK would it?

42 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Ah, so now a hard border would be OK would it?

Of course not, not in the political sense! But I don't want hordes of infected Northern Irelanders toddling over to do their shopping. They need to stay in their jurisdiction, until Boris orders a stricter lockdown over there. Once we all obey the same rules it is fine.

I actually watched the presser last night and Trump really said this among other insane things -

Shortly after the U.S. death toll from the coronavirus pandemic reached 1,500 on Friday, President Donald Trump took to the podium at a White House press briefing and complained that certain state’s governors  are not “appreciative” enough of the federal government’s help—so much so that he said he’d told Vice President Mike Pence, the leader of the coronavirus task force, to skip calling governors of some hard-hit areas.  

Trump singled out the Democratic leaders of Washington and Michigan, noting that he had advised Pence not to call them as the healthcare crisis plagues their states and people fall sick and die. 

“He calls all the governors,” Trump said. “I tell him, I mean, I’m a different type of person. I say Mike, don’t call the governor of Washington, you’re wasting your time with him. Don’t call the woman in Michigan.” 

“If they don’t treat you right, I don’t call,” Trump said. 

Michigan’s health department is reporting 3,657 COVID-19 cases and 92 deaths. In Washington, there have been 3,700 cases, according to the state, and 175 deaths. 

“We have done a hell of a job,” Trump said. “The federal government has really stepped up.”

Trump’s message to governors was that he wants “them to be appreciative.”

here

5 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

Of course not, not in the political sense! But I don't want hordes of infected Northern Irelanders toddling over to do their shopping. They need to stay in their jurisdiction, until Boris orders a stricter lockdown over there. Once we all obey the same rules it is fine.

arunadasi, I'm sure there are people in Northern Ireland feeling the same way about people from the Republic coming over the boarder.  From all accounts, a lot of peope in the Republic have not been following the rules, especially on a nice sunny afternoon

Trump's grandiose thinking is going to kill a lot of people.

President Donald Trump said Friday that he instructed Vice President Mike Pence not to reach out to governors who aren’t “appreciative” of his administration’s efforts to slow the spread of the coronavirus in their states.

“If they don’t treat you right, I don’t call,” Trump said of those state leaders.

“I think they should be appreciative. Because you know what? When they’re not appreciative to me, they’re not appreciative to the Army Corps [of Engineers], they’re not appreciative to FEMA. It’s not right,” Trump told reporters at a daily press briefing at the White House.

2 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I plan to follow @optimista plan when I get it. I have Turmeric, Paracetamol, and Ventolin. 

I'll go to the hospital if I'm turning blue, and will hope to get it at a time when there are actually free hospital places.

Fresh pineapple or whole pineapple juice contain a substance called Bromelain which enhances the effect of turmeric

22 minutes ago, Tap said:

arunadasi, I'm sure there are people in Northern Ireland feeling the same way about people from the Republic coming over the boarder.  From all accounts, a lot of peope in the Republic have not been following the rules, especially on a nice sunny afternoon

I live in a border community and this is not the case here. Everyone seems to be following the rules, even though the contagion in my county is negligible. There is no panic buying and distances in public are being kept -- it's quite extraordinary.  Yet traffic keeps coming over the border, north to south, never (hardly ever) the other way; huge trucks barging their way through tiny village streets.
 I think we should have closed down the county from the beginning, not only from Northern Ireland but from the rest of the Republic!

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Friend of mine living 40 metres from here has tested positive. We have been social distancing so cancelled our planned game of cards last weekend. Dodged a bullet there, for now. He's starting to feel better after a rough week of severe flu like symptoms.

Any thoughts on why the numbers are still growing. You would have assumed with social distancing that the numbers would be dropping or at least leveling off. My best guess is that the incubation period is much longer, so a lot of us have it but won't know for a while.

2 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I live in a border community and this is not the case here. Everyone seems to be following the rules, even though the contagion in my county is negligible. There is no panic buying and distances in public are being kept -- it's quite extraordinary.  Yet traffic keeps coming over the border, north to south, never (hardly ever) the other way; huge trucks barging their way through tiny village streets.
 I think we should have closed down the county from the beginning, not only from Northern Ireland but from the rest of the Republic!

I know the general area where you live arunadasi, the population of the whole of Monaghan is only about 60,000, so it's not exactly a hive of activity.  I just thought your comment about people in the Republic being worried about people from Northern Ireland coming over the boarder was a bit unfair, they both have reasons to worry.

11 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

Any thoughts on why the numbers are still growing. You would have assumed with social distancing that the numbers would be dropping or at least leveling off. My best guess is that the incubation period is much longer, so a lot of us have it but won't know for a while.

Was it last weekend the rules started to be enforced? So if it's two weeks incubation we have another week to wait before we start to see a difference.