4,871 posts in this topic

"Italy overtakes China in coronavirus infections"

Italy has become the second country to overtake China in coronavirus infections, recording a total of 86,498 on the same day it recorded its single biggest leap in coronavirus deaths, with 969 more victims.

The gruesome milestones nevertheless came on the same day Italian health officials said they were seeing a slight slowing down in new positive cases, two weeks into a nationwide lockdown.

Italy has recorded more virus-related deaths than any other country in the world. On Friday the death toll reached 9,134.

AP

looks bad again in Italy 900+ dead

On the positive side, the lead indicator of number of infections is down today, so once the current number of infections  goes through the system ( takes about 1 or 2 ), the number of deaths should start to go to down, but its going to take to time to run through the system.

24 minutes ago, yesterday said:

looks bad again in Italy 900+ dead

Let's not judge from a single day, this could be a statistic artifact like Saturday. I've already said a few days ago that the peak could still be a few days ago, but that we were very near.

Depends how much testing is happening, especially in the poorer south of the country. People down there may not feel as financially able to comply with a lockdown and let's be honest, the black economy is huge already so doing business out of sight of the authorities is hardly new. The south of Italy could be horrendous. Please God it won't be.

I also think that we should be near the peak and very much hope it goes down soon.

But I still remember those pictures on TV, when the lockdown was announced in Italy, that the railway station filled up of people  wanting to leave, those people could  have taken the virus to many other parts of Italy - then the virus spreads there.

I not sure I think when china went into lockdown, very few people goto out of wuhan

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

I also think that we should be near the peak and very much hope it goes down soon.

But I still remember those pictures on TV, when the lockdown was announced in Italy, that the railway station filled up of people  wanting to leave, those people could  have taken the virus to many other parts of Italy - then the virus spreads there.

I not sure I think when china went into lockdown, very few people goto out of wuhan

Early days in China, they built hospitals but then didn't have the staff to run them so ppl were just going there to die because there was no help.  Some people stated that if they would have known, they would have left the area before the lockdown.  I think it's natural to want to save yourself and your family from the infected area first and worry about whether you are spreading the virus later.

I saw an interview with an Italian who explained that once they realized it's rampant in the north, they announced that they would be doing a lockdown causing 10,000 ppl to leave the lockdown area the day before and then they spread it around.

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Let's not judge from a single day, this could be a statistic artifact like Saturday. I've already said a few days ago that the peak could still be a few days ago, but that we were very near.

No, the number of cases is rising exponentially in the south (power of approx 2.5). Over 200 dead today in Lazio and the Naples region.

From midnight in Ireland only essential workers allowed to work outside the home. Public transport only to be used by essential workers.

Govt very concerned about admissions to ICUs.

34 minutes ago, murphaph said:

From midnight in Ireland only essential workers allowed to work outside the home. Public transport only to be used by essential workers.

Govt very concerned about admissions to ICUs.

Ah, was that in the Taoiseach's speech tonight? I meant to watch it but got caught up in Netflix. 

So no more bog roll runs for a certain person...

Plus, if she is caught on the road going to court.. it could be double whammy! Oder?

6 hours ago, optimista said:

Many of them may find out how tough and resilient they actually are and will make it without hospital treatment.

I sincerely hope you are being sarcastic.

Experience. She's in the middle (end?) of having it herself and has stayed at home throughout. She has been most unwell.

11 hours ago, Metall said:

There still is divine justice...

6 hours ago, optimista said:

Many of them may find out how tough and resilient they actually are and will make it without hospital treatment.

23 minutes ago, Metall said:

I sincerely hope you are being sarcastic.

Like you said, Metall, divine justice. 

They will make it, God willing, oder? 

3 hours ago, mtbiking said:

No, the number of cases is rising exponentially in the south (power of approx 2.5). Over 200 dead today in Lazio and the Naples region.

Where do you see that? Most death growth (155) was in Lombardia. That alone justifies today's numbers. Lazio had 12 deaths today. North west area justifies the increase from yesterday, all other regions are at same level.

Yesterday when I last checked there was one of the NW region (Piedmont, I think) that hadn't reported deaths yet. Perhaps they reported only today, showing less yesterday and more today. The amount were 50.

I still think this is an artifact that will be smoothed in the next few days. If I'm wrong, I don't see an end to this.

In the meantime, in the last 3 days in spain there was somehow a slowdown, although not very evident.

One of my siblings lives in the greater Boston area. Boston is way behind Germany with the regulations when it comes to number of people that can gather in public. As of March 25 the limit is 10. Why so many?  Down from a prior restriction of 25. Way to go Mayor Walsh. No wonder coronavirus is going ...viral in America. 

The regulations so far:  https://www.boston.gov/departments/public-health-commission/coronavirus-timeline

Metall, when resources are limited there IS a pecking order and it will not be possible to treat everyone. Unfortunate fact. However, getting no hospital treatment is not an immediate death sentence. Many will still recover. I am not saying no treatment is a good thing.

I was sitting next to an open window wishing my lungs would do a proper job a couple of times.  And it was scary. Fortunately those episodes passed. Going to a chaotic hospital too early was not on my agenda. I got pretty close but figured I was better off at home unless I was actually blue in the face. But not everyone sees it like that. People panic.

2 minutes ago, optimista said:

Metall, when resources are limited there IS a pecking order and it will not be possible to treat everyone. Simple fact. However, getting no hospital treatment is not an immediate death sentence. Many will still recover. I am not saying no treatment is a good thing.

I was sitting next to an open window wishing my lungs would do a proper job a couple of times.  And it was scary. Fortunately those episodes passed. Going to a chaotic hospital too early was not on my agenda. I got pretty close but figured I was better off at home unless I was blue in the face. But not everyone sees it like that.

They've said so far that 80% recover without hospital treatment.  I'm glad you are on the mend but if you can't breathe, I kind of think you should go to hospital.  It can turn around quickly.  The news have reported of people who were sick at home with supposedly mild symptoms and then suddenly ended up dying.