4,816 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, engelchen said:

Yes, but the Germans have decided to ration the testing mainly due to capacity reasons and hasn't been testing the general population, but rather contact tracing and then testing the contacts as well as those who show symptoms and were in high risk areas. I think the different testing criteria in different countries skew the data.

The testing criteria is not fixed in stone but rather evolving with the situation.

In the very beginning it was as you mentioned limited to (1) travel history to what was considered high-risk regions at the time (e.g. Northern Italy, China, Korea...) with symptoms, or (2) direct contact with confirmed cases (no symptom required and I know of many real life friends who were tested via this criteria.

2 weeks ago when I got tested, they've already expanded the criteria to include people with pneumonia symptoms.

And since 25th of March, from what I read RKI has removed all requirement of travel history and direct contact in the testing criteria. They consider the virus prevalent in the whole country so people with symptoms or having suspicious CT scan results can be tested. 

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

each of the private firms will bill for each test, that can be counted.

Many these aren´t "firms" but private doctor´s offices (Facharzt für Labormedizin) who will either bill the respective kassenärztliche Vereinigung (publicly insured patients) or the patient directly. Others are private hospitals who won´t issue a bill for a single lab test because they get paid flat rates for each day a patient is in their care. There is no central authority lab tests are reported to.

"Coronavirus: anger in Germany at report Trump seeking exclusive vaccine deal"

MPs and ministers criticise display of ‘self-interest’ and accuse US president of electioneering

German ministers have reacted angrily following reports US president Donald Trump offered a German medical company “large sums of money” for exclusive rights to a Covid-19 vaccine.

“Germany is not for sale,” economy minister Peter Altmaier told broadcaster ARD, reacting to a front page report in Welt am Sonntag newspaper headlined “Trump vs Berlin”.

The newspaper reported Trump offered $1bn to Tübingen-based biopharmaceutical company CureVac to secure the vaccine “only for the United States”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/not-for-sale-anger-in-germany-at-report-trump-seeking-exclusive-coronavirus-vaccine-deal

I know I shouldn't be thinking what I'm thinking and am duly chastising myself. Karma is a bitch..

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I don't wish it on anybody. Not even Trump.

Be careful what you wish for. Karma can be a bitch.

Don`t forget him and his party are the same party who cheered when denying public sector workers a pay rise.

23 minutes ago, Keleth said:

How true and fact checked this is I cannot say but I think it may be the first of many.

https://gizmodo.com/teen-who-died-of-covid-19-was-denied-treatment-because-1842520539

Something I raised before I believe was the fact that a lot of Americans don't have health Insurance. Now put this fact with the number who live in poverty in the richest country in the World and they'll be a massive under reporting of deaths from CV simply because a lot of people won't even bother going for medical help because they can't afford it.

30 minutes ago, Keleth said:

How true and fact checked this is I cannot say but I think it may be the first of many.

https://gizmodo.com/teen-who-died-of-covid-19-was-denied-treatment-because-1842520539

CNN reported that too:

"Teen was turned away at urgent care, mayor says"

The mayor said he spoke to the teen's distraught father, who gave him more details on what happened.
When the teen became ill, his parents took him to an urgent care center and were turned away because he didn't have health insurance, Parris said. He was then taken to an emergency room at a local hospital.

So what happens to the thousands -- sorry, millions --- of Americans who don't have health insurance? Will they be sent home to die? Is there a back-up system for them? I don't know how medicaid, medicare works.

Urgent Care is not a hospital. It’s privately owned.  Very unfortunate situation in which they may not have realized that.  Urgent care is private pay or with insurance that they may accept.  People without insurance  to go to a public hospital.  

Many of them may find out how tough and resilient they actually are and will make it without hospital treatment.

9 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

So what happens to the thousands -- sorry, millions --- of Americans who don't have health insurance? Will they be sent home to die? Is there a back-up system for them? I don't know how medicaid, medicare works.

Public hospitals don’t deny treatment.  Medicaid is for poor and disabled. It also covers children.  I have a close relative on Medicaid it and he gets what he needs. Medicare is for a portion of disabled who paid in and for 65+.  It’s very good. The major problem of lacking health insurance is for the „working poor“, those who don’t qualify for Medicaid and yet can’t afford to pay, or choose not to.  If/When they go to a public hospital they will be treated and later billed and can go into medical bankruptcy.  This is a cursory overview from a former healthcare provider.  

4 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Public hospitals don’t deny treatment.  Medicaid is for poor and disabled. It also covers children.  I have a close relative on Medicaid it and he gets what he needs. Medicare is for a portion of disabled who paid in and for 65+.  It’s very good. The major problem of lacking health insurance is for the „working poor“, those who don’t qualify for Medicaid and yet can’t afford to pay, or choose not to.  If/When they go to a public hospital they will be treated and later billed and can go into medical bankruptcy.  This is a cursory overview from a former healthcare provider.  

So was it those "working poor" who would have benefited from Obahmacare?

Yes

ETA - In point of fact we all benefit from the Affordable Care Act because it allows millions more to get insured.  But it's enforcement mechanism is that it fines those who don't buy insurance, and for some the fine is less than the cost of the insurance.  And others say "Screw it. You can't make me."  But what we really need is a mandate for universal health coverage.  This crisis is hopefully driving that point home to those who argued with that, but we will see.