4,885 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, oscar 63 said:

Can someone give me an informed prediction again on how long this lockdown will go on for

 

A - in DE

 

B - in UK? 

 

A - another month - 6 weeks? 

 

"It'll be over by Christmas."

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this was the graphic that caused the UK Government to implement the mandatory lock-down as opposed to friendly recommendations: :unsure:

cor.png.4a350f09843029f53af1c2e8905b651a

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like just about everything to do with US health-care, the cost depends on your insurance.

 

Quote

Tests completed by a CDC, state, or city public health laboratory are free to patients. These labs, though, are expected to run only a small fraction of the tests.

Tests run at private or academic labs aren’t free, which means they could bill your health insurer — who could then bill you — for the cost of the test. If you’re uninsured, you’d be billed directly, possibly for the entire cost

Quote

the tests would be deemed “essential health benefits,” meaning they must be covered by most insurance plans. However, even if they’re covered, the costs may still fall to the patient if they haven’t yet met their deductible, if they have a copay, or if they have certain insurance plans that are no longer required to provide essential health benefits.

 

 

The article linked also talks about one of the common social-media stories doing the rounds of a guy who ended up paying for a bunch of tests because he thought he might have corona.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

The contents of the box might also be contaminated...
Also letters, opening letterbox, etc.

I am becoming totally OCD in this!

 

I would have thought everyone is already washing anything in a glass or plastic container that comes in their houses. If that's one of those, "No, just you, Alex" things, I am good with it. I bought 2L of 80% alcohol and I give any non-prepackaged food stuffs a quick spritz in the entrance to our apartment before our second door and let that work.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

If that's one of those, "No, just you, Alex" things, I am good with it. I bought 2L of 80% alcohol

 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd just like to know where you bought the alcohol. 

 

12 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

and I give any non-prepackaged food stuffs a quick spritz in the entrance to our apartment before our second door and let that work.

 

Do you also wipe everything down?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, engelchen said:

 

 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd just like to know where you bought the alcohol. 

 

 

Do you also wipe everything down?

 

I bought the alcohol online here when I realized that I was going to need a quantity. It looks like they are out right now.

https://www.beautyfashionshop.de/

I wipe it as I bring it in. Of course, I don't want to risk anyone in our house getting sick.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks Like Prince Charles has contracted it... 

 

Being reported on BBC news.. but not on the BBC website, yet..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldnt be surprised if he is already laying in a cold room waiting for it to all blow over and they can have a state funeral... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@engelchen Looks like you can buy more of what I got here:  https://www.ebay.de/itm/132304434265

 

Thanks, Ebay seems to be sold out too.

 

I have about half a bottle of Lebensmittelsicher Hygiene-Reiniger that I've been using to wipe down my groceries when I bring them home, but eventually I'm going to run out and I don't think it is possible to buy disinfectant anywhere at the moment.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@French bean really?  I'd think she'd be more likely to go on down to the Virgin Islands and get her groove back.  If 1992 was her annus horribillis I can only imagine what last year was, and how thrilled she must be with all Phil's public gaffes and infidelity... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rubbing alcohol is well and good for times that you can't use soap and water, but a good old fashioned sudsing-up is still the best way to kill COVID-19, I posted a link already.

 

I wash things off in the sink and then spray the sink with bleach.  The sink is made of one of the virus's favorite surfaces, stainless steel, and I have always been a bit of an anal retentive freak when it comes to sink disinfection, anyway (when I'm on top of things, both sides get a light bleaching once a day in the best of times).  Not to Just to brag, my retentive ass always has a generous stash of disinfection agents stockpiled, so I'm pretty good on alcohol, peroxide, and bleach.  I do still use soap and water the overwhelming majority of the time, though. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

rubbing alcohol is well and good for times that you can't use soap and water, but a good old fashioned sudsing-up is still the best way to kill COVID-19, I posted a link already.

 

I wash things off in the sink and then spray the sink with bleach.  The sink is made of one of the virus's favorite surfaces, stainless steel, and I have always been a bit of an anal retentive freak when it comes to sink disinfection, anyway (when I'm on top of things, both sides get a light bleaching once a day in the best of times).  Not to Just to brag, my retentive ass always has a generous stash of disinfection agents stockpiled, so I'm pretty good on alcohol, peroxide, and bleach.  I do still use soap and water the overwhelming majority of the time, though. 

 

I use a variety of methods. Frankly, aerosolized alcohol is me being lazy. I don't use hand sanitizer unless I have no other option, but for hard surfaces, bleach or alcohol are time savers.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hellfire99 said:

 

"It'll be over by Christmas."

 

 

 

It could be back by Christmas...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

@French bean really?  I'd think she'd be more likely to go on down to the Virgin Islands and get her groove back.  If 1992 was her annus horribillis I can only imagine what last year was, and how thrilled she must be will all Phil's gaffes and infidelity... 

We see it all the time when couples have been married for many years they tend to die within a short period of each other. as for Phill's gaffes they showed he was human and most were really quite entertaining. What infidelity was that?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, French bean said:

If he goes, the Queen will follow soon after, been married for so long.

 

Wait, what? The queen is married to her son or is this sarcasm flying over my head again?

B)

 

ETA - Never mind. I see you were referring to Phil the Greek.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

Here's a letter to the editor about an as yet unpublished study from the New England Journal of Medicine about the aerosol and surface stability of the virus. It's not terribly long, but the data is attached. The upshot: cardboard 24 hours, copper 4 hours, stainless steel and plastic up to 72 hours.

 

 

I wonder if brass (German: Messing) has the same effect, as it's a copper alloy. Was chatting the other day with another TTer about replacing the steel doorhandles at home with some much nicer vintage brass ones. If they counteract viruses, even better. :)

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Metall said:

 

I wonder if brass (German: Messing) has the same effect, as it's a copper alloy. Was chatting the other day with another TTer about replacing the steel doorhandles at home with some much nicer vintage brass ones. If they counteract viruses, even better. :)

 

From a completely non-medical viewpoint, copper corrodes so fast that I would guess that is why it creates a less-hospitable environment. To the extent that brass is a mixture of copper AND... so that it does not corrode as fast as copper and is not as expensive, I would suppose that the decrease in efficacy of brass as an inhospitable medium for virus would depend on the other metal(s) and percentage of copper. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now