4,884 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, pappnase said:

So many of the big tech and finance firms use Indian call-centers and technical support staff

It's also the home of the infamous 'Microsoft engineer' calling you to fix a 'problem' on your computer.

1 hour ago, pappnase said:

The worlds strategy of out-sourcing to India is going to have some interesting consequences now that they have gone into lockdown.

So many of the big tech and finance firms use Indian call-centers and technical support staff, it is really going to be quite challenging to manage getting things back up and running without those guys being able to work.

My boyfriend works with technical support people in India. They have been working from home

for the last two weeks. Just like the rest of us.

Yeah WFH  might be OK for the second and third-line technical support staff for the tech-companies, but for the first-line staff who answer phone-calls all day and for the staff dealing with finance systems etc, its a whole different game. 

Even for those who can work from home, it's going to put a huge strain on the domestic internet and mobile-phone networks in India and it's going to have a global effect.

25 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Only in America...(maybe)

https://www.bbc.com/news/52012243

It seems almost spiteful.

Yes, probably just an excuse to stop something that their religious fanatics don't like. I am not aware that you need an ICU bed, ventilator or even a stay in hospital for an abortion, though you might need all of those as a consequence of having a backstreet one!

Can someone give me an informed prediction again on how long this lockdown will go on for

A - in DE

B - in UK? 

A - another month - 6 weeks? 

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Only in America...(maybe)

https://www.bbc.com/news/52012243

It seems almost spiteful.

For me the question about America is how many aren't being tested because they haven't got health insurance or can't afford to pay. I would expect the infection rate to be far higher than stated because of the way the poor are (not) treated.

Mark Facebook reports his companies are bleeding, the traffic increased a lot but the ad revenue investment is pretty low at the moment, companies are giving priorities to other things.   Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp are important communication tools these days and without them we will struggle even more.   I read people/haters wishing his companies tank and expecting that other smallish Apps take over, this is incredible silly, only big companies that had solid finances before the crisis can help us during the crisis in these very expensive tasks, it doesn't matter if they were evil or not in the past, if they provide a crucial support we need there is no reason to wish them to disappear at the moment.   Expecting that apps like Telegram or Signal take over the IM communication without big bucks is incredible naive.

Just now, oscar 63 said:

Can someone give me an informed prediction again on how long this lockdown will go on for

A - in DE

B - in UK? 

A - another month - 6 weeks? 

I don't think anyone can because no one knows how things are going to pan out. If people do as they say then it shouldn't take as long as when people ignore advice and rules.

Germans are quite sensible - esp in serious health matters. A month, best case scenario? 2 months, worst? 

9 minutes ago, French bean said:

For me the question about America is how many aren't being tested because they haven't got health insurance or can't afford to pay. I would expect the infection rate to be far higher than stated because of the way the poor are (not) treated.

I think the testing part is free. The problem why people can't get tested who need to be is because there aren't nearly enough tests thanks to Trump's laggard approach to the whole pandemic.

31 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I think the testing part is free. The problem why people can't get tested who need to be is because there aren't nearly enough tests thanks to Trump's laggard approach to the whole pandemic.

Yes, I believe the testing part is *now* free, but it wasn’t free if it was negative (something like a bill for 1000). It does seem like they are doing a lot of testing there now (at least in NY). I saw a video of people lined up for tests, but it didn’t look like proper social distancing, ugh. 

I don’t think they are doing enough testing here. I read on the health website that they will only test you  if you have symptoms and have been exposed to someone with it. But maybe that has changed. Our death number still looks low to me, but I think I read (maybe on here) that has to do with how the death certificates are filled out.   

39 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

Germans are quite sensible - esp in serious health matters. A month, best case scenario? 2 months, worst? 

It seems to me the problem here is what happens next. Say we get through 6 weeks of these restrictions and it works and the infection rate and death rates have drastically declined, after which it's going to be difficult for the government to keep the lockdown going even if they want to - we'll all have had enough of it. But there'll still be people wandering around with the virus and there's a real danger of a second wave of infections. Boris' crazy solution of letting people die in the short term to build up herd immunity could yet to be the best long term option - because it's only really over when 2/3rds of us have either had it, or have been inocculated. 

(Please don't take that as me supporting Boris Johnson in any way ).

4 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Boris' crazy solution of letting people die in the short term to build up herd immunity could yet to be the best long term option - because it's only really over when 2/3rds of us have either had it, or have been inocculated. 

Then please you get infected first and then if you survive get exposed again to help with the studies to find out if people develop immunity or not.

8 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

Yes, I believe the testing part is *now* free, but it wasn’t free if it was negative (something like a bill for 1000). It does seem like they are doing a lot of testing there now (at least in NY). I saw a video of people lined up for tests, but it didn’t look like proper social distancing, ugh. 

I don’t think they are doing enough testing here. I read on the health website that they will only test you  if you have symptoms and have been exposed to someone with it. But maybe that has changed. Our death number still looks low to me, but I think I read (maybe on here) that has to do with how the death certificates are filled out.   

Where did you see that it wasn't free if negative? That's nuts but I don't doubt it. Anyway-

Donald Trump has approved legislation that will expand Medicaid and unemployment benefits, mandate paid sick leave and childcare leave for certain employees, and order free coronavirus testing, in an effort to to limit the damage from the pandemic.

The bill, introduced by House Democrats, faced criticism from Senate Republicans. But it ultimately passed 90-8 after the White House lobbied for quick action over prolonged arguments over amendments.

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

Shopping at Tesco yesterday. They do take social distancing here in my town seriously: every store, petrol station I've been to make you stand 2 metres away from each other. Everything was available, though I didn't check toilet paper! Stations at the entry with sanitiser, gloves, wipes etc. Staff member wiping down all the trolleys after use. There's only one confirmed case in my county, though, so I'm hoping for a slow spread considering these sensible tactics.

Similar reports from my US contacts, specifically that employees at Publix are wiping down the shopping carts.

No such thing happening in German supermarkets, carts are as filthy as always.

In addition, the buses/trams/subways/S-Bahn in the Munich area are NOT being cleaned or sanitized in any way (except for the usual quick floor mop and trash removal at the end of the day). Use gloves to hang on to anything.

37 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

I think it will be at least 2, at least. I read something about a second wave that other countries have been experiencing (not reinfection). I hope this is one of those Coronaviruses that doesn’t do well in warm weather. Saw something about a study someone did with four different Coronaviruses didn’t do well in warm weather conditions and one did OK in warm weather. Not sure the sample size is big enough for it, but I’m pretty sure scientists aren’t really sure what kind this is. 

I wish they would get the supermarket problem sorted out. I have enough things as I am one person, but eventually I’m going to need more. I did not hamster kauf at all, I just tend not to eat when I’m very stressed. Like I had a half bag of nuts and a small slice of pizza all day yesterday. 

They are going to have to do something. Wuhan set up times that people could order their food and pick it up (delivery would be better). I would be more than willing to do that, order it and have it delivered a few days or a week later. This way they can get caught up. They would have to ration as well probably. 

Here's a letter to the editor about an as yet unpublished study from the New England Journal of Medicine about the aerosol and surface stability of the virus. It's not terribly long, but the data is attached. The upshot: cardboard 24 hours, copper 4 hours, stainless steel and plastic up to 72 hours.

I'm just posting this for those people who do a lot of online ordering. Best practice is to open outside of the home and ditch the box right away then wash hands. 

The contents of the box might also be contaminated...
Also letters, opening letterbox, etc.

I am becoming totally OCD in this!

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Where did you see that it wasn't free if negative? That's nuts but I don't doubt it. Anyway-

I don’t know where I saw it. I think it was an NBC live stream. NBC is OK, not as bad as Fox, so hopefully it wasn’t fully true. If I come across it again, I’ll send a link. I’ve read so many articles, but I usually check for bias.