4,870 posts in this topic

Having heard a description of the virus from a colleague who has had it, I can see why people would panic and consult a doctor even when symptoms are still mild. Her experience was: first two days a blinding headache and sore throat, first week a persistent cough but up and about, second week in bed with a persistent cough and breathlessness and gradually getting so weak that she couldn't stand up for any length of time. NB: No fever at all. (The NHS site says one can have either a persistent cough or a fever, not necessarily both.) When her condition suddenly deteriorated, she had ended up in hospital but only for a few hours to check her lungs, oxygen level, etc. and then she was sent home as she was not found to have pneumonia or abnormal oxygen levels requiring a ventilator. But her ECG had been abnormal and she's now going to have to see a cardiologist. A couple of days after the hospital visit and after 16 days of illness she is only now seeing a diminution of the cough and gradually feeling slightly stronger, i.e. strong enough to get up and sit in a chair.

7 hours ago, French bean said:

Whatever they do now is too late, the damage is done. Mike Ashley and his cronies don't come out of this too well and it appears he's running true to form.

water off a ducks back. He's been in the media loads over the last few years about poor pay/conditions and yet people still shop with them as they are cheap

4 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I honestly have no idea what to delete.  Please stay somewhat on topic, everybody, and abuse each other in your PMs instead :) 

jokingnotjokingnoreallyjokingbutami?yesprobably

for goodness sake just torch it all :)

Going back on current news, Italy reported 743 deaths today.

Although it is an increase over yesterday, it is lower than Saturday and definitely NOT exponential growth any longer.

In the next graph I show a polynomial fit for "all time" and on the left for the past 2 weeks. The "all time" fit shows peak within the next 2-3 days, while the past 2 weeks shows we are already at the peak. Graph data is smoothed for better polynomial fit.

m24_2.png.aa78e319095af07b5b0ee228f03114

But either we have a strong reduction soon, or total deaths will still be above 20.000.

whoops, deaths up ( 743 ) and infections up in Itialy !

So, I was right to say this might have been just another blimp  - still waiting to see a consistent trend down

so sorry, to injection real information into this thread, rather than what seems to the point of this thread now, which is lets slag people of thread. 

live long and prosper 

3 minutes ago, yesterday said:

whoops, deaths up ( 743 ) and infections up in Itialy !

So, I was right to say this might have been just another blimp  - still waiting to see a consistent trend down

Nah, look at my chart, we are either at the peak or within 2-3 days. You need to smooth the data to make daily artifacts gone.

I would be more concerned with Spain. I haven't plotted the data, but I think it will peak much higher than Italy.

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

Nah, look at my chart, we are either at the peak or within 2-3 days.

I hope so, and I would expect so as well, because Itialy has been in lock down for more than 2 weeks know.

But I still want to see a consistant set of data, showing the fall, better I call it

Ouch

Capture.PNG

Just listened to the latest on NY Times The Daily, they basically said it's too late, the US is going is going to see Wuhan and worse

UK to create 4k bed temporary hospital in the Excel centre in London. Sign of how bad things are expected to get I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

UK to create 4k bed temporary hospital in the Excel centre in London. Sign of how bad things are expected to get I'm afraid.

And how are they going to staff it?

Cancer survivor here. I only want to say that 5 yrs. clean is not the end all. It can come back at any time after that. Could be 10 yrs, 15 yrs. or 20 yrs.

Just had to say it.

9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Dentists and vets, I think.

11 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

they want to get retired doctors and nurses to come back and help

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/policies-and-guidance/coronavirus-plans-will-pull-nurses-out-of-retirement-if-situation-worsens-03-03-2020/

but some say they just do not want to 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/majority-of-retired-nhs-staff-dont-want-to-return-to-tackle-covid-19-crisis

So you have the Government plan vs reality 

27 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Banning Polish nurses from leaving the UK?

Not feeling the need to compete with Mikemelga I nonetheless find myself with increasingly more time in my hands (at least at night) and got myself a corona data set to play with. Here’s a plot I personally found interesting, total number of dead divided by total number of cases.

In my opinion the numbers in Germany are being massaged to look nicer. Superior health care and more tests can explain somewhat the discrepancy but by this much? It stretches credulity. Or Germany rocks. Whatever makes you happy.

F0EF9EE3-F59B-4E35-9525-32E9943779AE.png

The WHO thinks the US could become the new epicentre and given Trump's appalling handling of this it's hardly surprising.

The White House has now recommended self quarantine for anyone who has been in NY.

My research seems to support that lashings of booze and living in a "one horse town" prevents this disease.... 

The worlds strategy of out-sourcing to India is going to have some interesting consequences now that they have gone into lockdown.

So many of the big tech and finance firms use Indian call-centers and technical support staff, it is really going to be quite challenging to manage getting things back up and running without those guys being able to work.