4,870 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Actually my father who was a civil engineer, was convinced it was possible to go colder than 0K. I & my brothers tried multiple times to explain to him, and then just relaxed and let him have his "colder than absolute zero"

This would only "prove" that your father was "wrong" about something in particular, not that he sucks as an engineer and nothing he said can be trusted and his title is crap (which is very insulting from Mike).   

And quantum gas can go below absolute zero.

7 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

1) it was not a made up story, it was actually a relative. If you knew me in person you would know I don't make up stuff, quite the opposite, I will hammer you down with facts until you agree with me.

2) I can tell so many true stories of idiotic engineers that you wouldn't believe. Titles mean nothing to me, and I'm an engineer.

You are just an Internet warrior who strangely enough want to prove you know more about everything that everyone else (and have problems admitting you are wrong).   I am sure when you go to the doctor in real life you don't tell him the kind of crap you say here.  

@jeba might be wrong about many things, economics, German bureaucracy, German law, etc, but he has been quite accurate and knowledgeable about medical things.  And then he is humble enough to remark that he is retired and things might have changed when he is no sure about the current medical scenarios.

Given that this thread has been hidden and no regulars believe anything j2 posts, I would say don't delete them as they are worth the laugh.:D

4 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Actually my father who was a civil engineer, was convinced it was possible to go colder than 0K. I & my brothers tried multiple times to explain to him, and then just relaxed and let him have his "colder than absolute zero"

that is priceless.

Once I had to desperately try to explain the difference between positional repeatability vs accuracy to a "lead" mechanical engineer...he actually thought they were effectively the same thing.  If you want to find yourself in the wrong location over and over again, he had me dead to rights but funny enough, that wasn't the actual requirement ;) 

and don't get me started on clueless docs.  Holy hell they abound.  They really do.  It is always wise to listen to your doc, sure, but doubling checking for accuracy is a good idea.  I hope I don't need to say you should not turn to TT (or any online forum) for serious healthcare advice.

21 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I've met so many uninformed doctors and idiot engineers that titles have no meaning for me. Best one was a doctor claiming moon calendar, specifically full moon, had an effect on birth date. Google actually helped me showing him a study involving 5 million cases and showed no correlation with it. Then he toned down.

One more for the road:

https://www.cancer.gov/contact/emergency-preparedness/coronavirus

It is very clear: the risk is not cancer per se. The risk are the treatments for cancer. There are some specific types of cancer that can aggravate the situation, like damage from previous lung cancer, but if a person is recovered and is not under influence of treatment, having had cancer before is not a concern for the virus itself.

I`ve often taken the piss out of you having an ego the size of a planet but you`ve outdone yourself in this time.

You proved a doctor wrong by using Google well fuck me you`re a hero.

I bet you`re a fucking killer at parties eh.

We have a woman on here who has had cancer and is rightly worried that she is more at risk then along comes mr fuckhead MikeMelga and writes out some drivel about how "cancer" is not actually a problem in regards to Coronavirus.It`s actually only a problem when etc etc.

You know nothing about Cybil or what type of cancer she had,or what damage it left or even if she is still undergoing some sort of treatment.

Oh and Cybil please next time you post about being high risk please post your exact illness,after effects,blutbid,and any other relevant information so pedantic cunts like MikeMelga will learn to just shut the fuck up with talking down to the unwashed masses.

6 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Thank God I married into a notable German medical family. Haven't discussed this yet with them though.

Are they ignoring you too, then? How wise of them.

2 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

At least he didn't call seniors Q-tips?

11 minutes ago, Krieg said:

@jeba might be wrong about many things, economics, German bureaucracy, German law, etc, but he has been quite accurate and knowledgeable about medical things.  And then he is humble enough to remark that he is retired and things might have changed when he is no sure about the current medical scenarios.

Seriously? Did you miss the posts where he was advocating that instead of social distancing that there should be corona parties for kids?!!?!?! Completely ignoring of how the virus would then spread even more rapidly to their parents and teachers?

Since he is not capable of distinguishing between what he actually knows and just what he thinks, I don't consider anything he writes as valid unless I can confirm it from a reliable source (and I usually don't bother even reading his posts because they are so useless).

On 13.3.2020, 11:40:41, jeba said:

What should be the danger? Especially if compared to trying to keep them at home? You won´t be able to keep them at home until the virus is no nonger around or a vaccine is available. It´s highly likely that you´ll be immune after having recovered (for how long is a different question).

On 13.3.2020, 11:50:14, jeba said:

That you (or most people) won´t be able to keep them at home (almost) forever and sooner or later you´ll have to release them and will be faced with the same dilemma. That virus won´t go away anytime soon.

On 13.3.2020, 12:23:38, jeba said:

Yes, but why not make better use of that time? The more I think about it the more I begin thinking it´s a good idea.

6 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Seriously? Did you miss the posts where he was advocating that instead of social distancing that there should be corona parties for kids?!!?!?! Completely ignoring of how the virus would then spread even more rapidly to their parents and teachers?

I saw it and saw he said he was half-joking.  And I understood he meant isolating the kids in the woods like in WW2,

And even if he is serious about it, it is just a personal opinion about how to handle it.  

16 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Given that this thread has been hidden and no regulars believe anything j2 posts, I would say don't delete them as they are worth the laugh.:D

It's clear to me that J2 is simply desperate for attention, like any child.  The more his posts are called out, the more nonsense he posts, just to get more reactions and attention.

Every six-year-old's motto is, "Bad attention is better than no attention."

My favourite was that we can't keep them at home for long enough. :lol:

I dunno, keeping the cat inside is tricky, but the kids - not so much - sufficient food, bog roll, obviously, and internet and all is good here. I got hissed at when I let the light in at 10.00 this morning because the night dwelling creature on the sofa was not sufficiently shielded from the damaging rays of the Bright Thing. I'd say we're good to keep them in for at least 10 years.

Apart from this admittedly large failing with the Coronaparties, I see Krieg's point that jeba has been much more sensible than ever before on this, and has said some helpful stuff.

Just now, kiplette said:

My favourite was that we can't keep them at home for long enough. :lol:

I think @jeba meant about real long term.   Because we can't continue isolated forever, the economy will crash.  

Damn virus, now I am white-knighting jeba.  FTS.

34 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Nigerians have actually died from Chloroquine poisoning following this advice. First proposed by Trump, and completely without merit.

FTFY

1 hour ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Actually I've just told couchsurfing whatsapp in Oulu, Finland to look on this thread for good information. 

This is an excellent thread and visitors who don't know about Jeremy's peculiarities could be misled.

People are flushing everything down the toilet these days and I guess you have just flushed your reputation on couchsurfing Finland down the shitter, too.

This is an excellent thread for visitors?  Yes, for dingbattery and entertainment! 

If you want information find out what the WHO are saying or national health agencies. 

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Why "not correct"? If she had cancer and is no longer having any treatment that reduces WBC, there is no issue. See the list below. My point is: having had cancer before is not a risk per se. The risk is if the treatment is still ongoing and that reduces WBC.

It´s impossible to give a precise answer without knowing what kind of cancer / treatment we´re talking about. Just think about why people are actually dying while being ventilated on ICUs. Major reasons are heart failure due to the stress on the circulatory system and lack of sufficient oxygenation. And then think of possible lasting side effects of cancer treatment such as e. g. cardiotoxicity of chemotherapeutic drugs or reduced lung function e. g. following radiotherapy.

Yes, but my advice to her was simple: don´t give the boss the information about cancer, because he could dismiss it, as previous cancer per se is in most cases not a valid reason.

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Just tell your boss you are high risk. Maybe get a note from your doc. The rest is not her/his business.

this is a good idea  I have asthma I have tried about 30 times in the last day and a half to contact my doctor to get a sick note, but the line is permanently busy.

My company still has wants me to work were possible, for that I use a company laptop from home. There is only so much I can do without access to some hardware I need at my work place. With out a sick note I am still expected to do my work - without the hardware I need I cannot do that and I cannot get a sick note either 

So what I I expected to do ???

24 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

If you want information find out what the WHO are saying or national health agencies. 

Unlike your hero Boris eh.

You do make a good point though,apart from where you`re allowed to go and when you`re allowed out etc etc do not use some damn expat forum for advice about the virus.

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

I dunno, keeping the cat inside is tricky, but the kids - not so much - sufficient food, bog roll, obviously, and internet and all is good here. I got hissed at when I let the light in at 10.00 this morning because the night dwelling creature on the sofa was not sufficiently shielded from the damaging rays of the Bright Thing.

Snap! :lol::lol:

14 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Yes, but my advice to her was simple: don´t give the boss the information about cancer, because he could dismiss it, as previous cancer per se is in most cases not a valid reason.

So you didn´t say

If she had cancer and is no longer having any treatment that reduces WBC, there is no issue. See the list below. My point is: having had cancer before is not a risk per se. The risk is if the treatment is still ongoing and that reduces WBC.

?