4,821 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Exactly. Especially because cancer is only an issue if you are still doing treatment that reduces WBC. Or still suffering from WBC from previous treatments.

Not correct.

Trump's real priority in trying to lift all stay-at-home orders in the US.

Before Trump called for reevaluating lockdowns, they shuttered six of his top-earning clubs and resorts

President Trump’s private business has shut down six of its top seven revenue-producing clubs and hotels because of restrictions meant to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, potentially depriving Trump’s company of millions of dollars in revenue.

Those closures come as Trump is considering easing restrictions on movement sooner than federal public health experts recommend, in the name of reducing the virus’s economic damage.

In a tweet late Sunday, Trump said the measures could be lifted as soon as March 30. “WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF,” he wrote on Twitter.

In his unprecedented dual role as president and owner of a sprawling business, Trump is facing dual crises caused by the coronavirus. As he is trying to manage the pandemic from the White House, limiting its casualties as well as the economic fallout, his company is also navigating a major threat to the hospitality industry.

26 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Mods shouldn't Jeremytwo be banned from this thread?

Just put him on ignore...

Two years ago I had a hip replacement at this clinic. It ONLY does planned orthopedic procedures, so I was curious as to what they were doing now. 
This is what they are doing:
https://www.helios-gesundheit.de/kliniken/hamburg-endo-klinik/
Basically, it says that corona patients get priority. So it looks like all those hip and knee replacement patients have to wait if their bed is needed.

24 minutes ago, jeba said:

Not correct.

Why "not correct"? If she had cancer and is no longer having any treatment that reduces WBC, there is no issue. See the list below. My point is: having had cancer before is not a risk per se. The risk is if the treatment is still ongoing and that reduces WBC.

Some people with cancer are more at risk of becoming seriously ill if they contract the COVID-19 infection:

• people having chemotherapy, or who have received chemotherapy in the last three months;
  • people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer;
  • people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors;
  • people having intensive (radical) radiotherapy for lung cancer;
  • people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last six months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs;
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment.

Just now, MikeMelga said:

Why "not correct"? If she had cancer and is no longer having any treatment that reduces WBC, there is no issue. See the list below. My point is: having had cancer before is not a risk per se. The risk is if the treatment is still ongoing and that reduces WBC.

I will bring some popcorn and watch how Mike fights an actual doctor with the power of Google.

It appears some people believe they are different. Sport Direct in the UK says it should be allowed to stay open as it helps people keep fit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52011915

Shut them down and lock up the director's if they try and open. Obviously money is more important than the health of their staff and customers.

17 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

Just put him on ignore...

Actually I've just told couchsurfing whatsapp in Oulu, Finland to look on this thread for good information. I don't need to put Jeremy on ignore. I can ignore him perfectly well without electronic assistance.

This is an excellent thread and visitors who don't know about Jeremy's peculiarities could be misled. Freedom of speech should not allow misinformation to be posted on a thread considered reliable and useful.

What about the right to get reliable honest information?

Trump is being counseled by Kushner that quack medicine will work and Fauci is wrong. Trump's dumbass supporters will die off in droves.

As the death toll from the coronavirus accelerates across the country—by Monday there have been more than 400 domestic fatalities—Donald Trump is grasping for a strategy before the crisis destroys his presidency. He has tried playing Roosevelt by claiming the mantle of “wartime president” while also playing to his nativist base by labeling COVID-19 “the China virus.” Now, Trump appears ready to disregard the advice of his medical advisers like Dr. Anthony Fauci by reopening the economy far sooner than Fauci has said is safe.

According to sources, Trump is increasingly frustrated with Fauci and governors who advocated for shutting down large swathes of the economy to stop COVID-19’s out-of-control spread. According to four Republicans briefed on internal West Wing conversations, Trump is fuming privately that Fauci advised him that the only way to blunt the pandemic was to bring the economy to a halt. “Trump is furious,” a former West Wing official said. “He’s been calling business leaders asking if he should just reopen the economy,” a Republican briefed on the conversations told me. “He’s hearing that you have to get the economy going,” another former West Wing official said.

So far, Trump has refrained from publicly lashing out at Fauci and New York governor Andrew Cuomo, whose lucid and empathetic press conferences are in contrast to Trump’s shambolic media theater. But late Sunday night, as Dallas became the latest city to compel its citizens to stay home, Trump tweeted: “WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!”
Sources say that Trump is leaning toward telling at least some Americans to return to work after the 15-day social-distancing period ends on March 31. This puts Trump on a potential collision course with Fauci that many fear will end with Fauci being fired or quitting. “Fauci is the best medical expert we have. We can’t lose him,” a former White House official said. Signs of tension between Trump and Fauci have been emerging. Over the weekend, Fauci gave a series of candid interviews. “I’ve been telling the president things he doesn’t want to hear,” Fauci told Maureen Dowd. “I have publicly had to say something different with what he states. It’s a risky business.”

“Jared is bringing conspiracy theories to Trump about potential treatments,” a Republican briefed on the conversations told me. Another former West Wing official told me: “Trump is like an 11-year-old boy waiting for the fairy godmother to bring him a magic pill.” 

Throughout the crisis, Kushner has counseled Trump that the crisis isn’t as bad as the media is portraying. Two sources said Vice President Mike Pence has complained to Trump about Kushner’s meddling in the work of the coronavirus task force. (Another former West Wing official disputed this, saying Pence wouldn’t openly challenge the Trump family. “Pence is politically smart,” the former official said.)

According to sources, Trump has been jealous that Cuomo’s press briefings have gotten such positive reviews. 

There you have it, folks. Ego and ignorance will actually be the cause of tens of thousands of deaths. 

11 minutes ago, French bean said:

It appears some people believe they are different. Sport Direct in the UK says it should be allowed to stay open as it helps people keep fit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52011915

Shut them down and lock up the director's if they try and open. Obviously money is more important than the health of their staff and customers.

They got a huge backlash and are now closing stores as soon as they can - not sure exactly how soon that will be but I would hope its immediate.

Whatever they do now is too late, the damage is done. Mike Ashley and his cronies don't come out of this too well and it appears he's running true to form.

as every one of us is in some kind of lock down, the potential for blogs and the internet to spread bull shit is immense!

Much worse, is that leaders like the Donald endorse such bull shit.

Trump wants to restart the economy asap? Who doesn't?! But claiming drugs for other diseases will sort of the corona pandemic by the end of next week is a lie.

I work in pharma research. I have worked on single projects -and generated over 10000 chemical compounds- for 10 years in order to find the magic bullet against specific diseases. It does not work overnight, and guesses or cutting of red tape does not achieve much in the search!

36 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I will bring some popcorn and watch how Mike fights an actual doctor with the power of Google.

I've met so many uninformed doctors and idiot engineers that titles have no meaning for me. Best one was a doctor claiming moon calendar, specifically full moon, had an effect on birth date. Google actually helped me showing him a study involving 5 million cases and showed no correlation with it. Then he toned down.

One more for the road:

https://www.cancer.gov/contact/emergency-preparedness/coronavirus

Some types of cancer and treatments such as chemotherapy can weaken your immune system and may increase your risk of any infection, including with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. During chemotherapy, there will be times in your treatment cycle when you are at increased risk of infection.

It is very clear: the risk is not cancer per se. The risk are the treatments for cancer. There are some specific types of cancer that can aggravate the situation, like damage from previous lung cancer, but if a person is recovered and is not under influence of treatment, having had cancer before is not a concern for the virus itself.

Azithromycin is a fu*king antibiotic!

This joker should better recommend a jack daniels every 15 minutes :lol:

4 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I've met so many uninformed doctors and idiot engineers that titles have no meaning for me. Best one was a doctor claiming moon calendar, specifically full moon, had an effect on birth date. Google actually helped me showing him a study involving 5 million cases and showed no correlation with it. Then he toned down.

One more of your made up stories about how you know more than everyone else in every subject.   Get a grip.  Even the worst engineer knows more about engineering than the average Joe. 

3 minutes ago, Krieg said:

One more of your made up stories about how you know more than everyone else in every subject.   Get a grip.  Even the worst engineer knows more about engineering than the average Joe. 

Actually my father who was a civil engineer, was convinced it was possible to go colder than 0K. I & my brothers tried multiple times to explain to him, and then just relaxed and let him have his "colder than absolute zero"

5 minutes ago, dom said:

Azithromycin is a fu*king antibiotic!

This joker should better recommend a jack daniels every 15 minutes :lol:

This is why I think Jeremy should be banned from this thread. He posts dangerous, wrong shit.

Just now, Krieg said:

1) it was not a made up story, it was actually a relative. If you knew me in person you would know I don't make up stuff, quite the opposite, I will hammer you down with facts until you agree with me.

2) I can tell so many true stories of idiotic engineers that you wouldn't believe. Titles mean nothing to me, and I'm an engineer.