4,821 posts in this topic

The high risk group is changing weekly from all the stuff I read. Of course the elderly and people with underlying conditions have the most chance of dying from it. Then comes all of the exceptions to the rule. Just stay at home.

1 hour ago, franklan said:

Thank you for rubbing salt in that wound.

Greetings from New Hampshire!

oh dude, I didn't mean it like that. No no.  not at all.

I just meant that German healthcare is not the purely profit driven machine that US "healthcare" is.  If I could fly over there and rescue you, I would!  Keeping the appropriate 3 meters of separation at all times of course.

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The high risk group is changing weekly from all the stuff I read. Of course the elderly and people with underlying conditions have the most chance of dying from it. Then comes all of the exceptions to the rule. Just stay at home.

I would like to stay home but today I got called to show up at the McWork later this week. I wonder if I can be held to that, being between 50 and 60years old and also having a vorerkrankung (cancer, I never told my boss about it though). I will be passing bags of food and also drinks to the parked in cars public, albeit they must take that stuff off a tray now instead of directly out of my hands. 

I am already not visiting my shut in in-laws as I'm considered a potential disease carrier. My husband, who I do see, obviously, is still helping them out and Pflegeguy is still coming for my FIL three days a week. MIL doesn't have a cleaning lady any more so my husband will be cleaning their home as well as cooking etc. for them. The cleaning lady left as of today as she's considered non-essential help. I assume my husband, who turns 60 soon, is also likely to carry whatever I bring home to them. So it's all a bit difficult to avoid in the best of circumstances. 

2 minutes ago, cybil said:
14 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I would like to stay home but today I got called to show up at the McWork later this week. I wonder if I can be held to that, being between 50 and 60years old and also having a vorerkrankung (cancer, I never told my boss about it though).

Just tell your boss you are high risk. Maybe get a note from your doc. The rest is not her/his business.

@cybil I have to ask:  is keeping a job at mc donalds really worth so much anxiety?  Is it beyond reason to simply resign then find something new when this dies down?  If you can find a way to avoid going in, you're not going to get paid anyway (at least I am not aware of any programs to support that scenario yet) so I am not seeing a net loss if you just quit.

17 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

@cybil I have to ask:  is keeping a job at mc donalds really worth so much anxiety?  Is it beyond reason to simply resign then find something new when this dies down?  If you can find a way to avoid going in, you're not going to get paid anyway (at least I am not aware of any programs to support that scenario yet) so I am not seeing a net loss if you just quit.

I am currently receiveing Kurzarbeit at a 90% rate by not quitting. So far I'm only asked to work one day out of seven in the days of corona so I am hanging in there, as best I can. If anyone knows if Kurzarbeit means you can simply not show up to work til the coast is clear, please let me know. 

5 minutes ago, cybil said:

I am currently receiveing Kurzarbeit at a 90% rate by not quitting. So far I'm only asked to work one day out of seven in the days of corona so I am hanging in there, as best I can. If anyone knows if Kurzarbeit means you can simply not show up to work til the coast is clear, please let me know. 

ah I can see the net loss in that case.  I think the suggestion to get a doctor's note is a good one and/or asking to be reassigned to non customer facing duties might be your best bet.

1 hour ago, cybil said:

Not sure if this helps but McDs have closed in the UK and that was before the lock down there announced this evening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/52003725

Trump is angry because he tried to insinuate yesterday that he decides when the US is "open for business" when he cannot, in fact, override state-ordered stay-at-home declarations. Of the 11 biggest state economies, only 2 don't have stay-at-home declarations right now. He can't do thing one about it.

9 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Just tell your boss you are high risk. Maybe get a note from your doc. The rest is not her/his business.

Exactly. Especially because cancer is only an issue if you are still doing treatment that reduces WBC. Or still suffering from WBC from previous treatments.

Mike - this may be of interest to you, since you are a science guy. This paper was written in 2007:

de565ac37f14e66132e854f850065f1c9b6362c7

So it was in fact the market in bats which caused this problem, coupled with heavy pollution, widespread smoking, also. 

Be quiet SP, the adults are talking.

Okay, everybody relax. j² has solved the mystery of the origin of novel coronavirus.

He'll probably find a cure by tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Exactly. Especially because cancer is only an issue if you are still doing treatment that reduces WBC. Or still suffering from WBC from previous treatments.

Depends on the Cancer, some are incurable and are only kept in check with maintenance treatment. Others will spread through Metastasis and so could still be active but in another part of the body. Either way people who have had C. should be treated as at risk unless they've had for example with some cancers like Cervical, 5 clear years since treatment.