4,885 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

 

What I thought could be was that 5-14 year-olds were particularly resistant to contracting the disease overall (as children are widely regarded by scientific findings to be).

 

How do you explain choosing the outlier to define the whole? 

In general though I understand that in most if not all age groups as a "whole" males have a higher mortality rate and indeed a lower life expectancy than females.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am noticing there are several different versions of German stats on COVID-19.  I do think it is good if we post to make sure they are authentic and not add to the miasma of fear and anxiety but spreading false or dodgy data  :P

 

AFAIK the designated authority correlating the accurate stats is the Robert Koch-Instituts which is the main infectious disease center in Germany and they are updating their report every evening this was the latest from 21st March (it is available in both German and English):

 

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/2020-03-21-en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kirakay said:

AFAIK the designated authority correlating the accurate stats is the Robert Koch-Instituts which is the main infectious disease center in Germany and they are updating their report every evening this was the latest from 21st March (it is available in both German and English):

Unfortunately, they're not infallible either. According to spiegel.de, their somewhat optimistic Sunday report is incomplete, because not all local public health offices report their numbers throughout the weekend.

 

Numbers from John Hopkins University are generally considered accurate, too - and even more up to date than the RKI figures.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

Someone said you can catch Coronavirus through the eyes. 

 

BS = bullshit

Not at all. Tears will run through a small tube into the nose and there you have it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mtbiking said:


that’s interesting, my company is very German in structure and thinking and they’ve taken the opposite approach: all white collar jobs in homeoffice unless presence is essential for problem solving, production is running but with minimum shifts of isolated employees, no more meetings and no employees sharing an office anymore. 

^Most of our customers are in Asia and they are ordering big time! They actually ordered more, they expect this to pass in a few months and then consumption will go off the roof, so they are increasing production capacity.

So of course this is putting pressure on our production and our R&D department.

 

I also think that there will be a consumption boom, both from private (who postponed spending) and companies (who are getting fresh money from governments).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

^Most of our customers are in Asia and they are ordering big time! They actually ordered more, they expect this to pass in a few months and then consumption will go off the roof, so they are increasing production capacity.

So of course this is putting pressure on our production and our R&D department.

 

I also think that there will be a consumption boom, both from private (who postponed spending) and companies (who are getting fresh money from governments).

 

ok, that explains it a bit. I’m in the defense industry. Our production lines and R&D cycles are almost conjecture independent. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020, 9:59:35, fraufruit said:

I saw Trump say today that they will start testing Chloroquine as a cure. He said it would be a game-changer. No real doctors agree with him and many drugs are being tested.

 

Germany's own Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt, has been talking about Chloroquine for the last couple of months.

 

I only know this because my flatmate often listens to Klinghardt's lectures and presentations. 

 

I've always thought of him as more of a J2 type of doctor personally :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020, 12:09:35, Wulfrun said:

SD.jpg.b20defc6e30b38e979e455f6c1b06b2c.

 

At least social distancing means that Abbey Road won't suffer from traffic jams due to so many idiots trying to recreate the album cover!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Meanwhile, in the UK...

 

5e77515fa1019_dominiccunt.jpg.9ecf042c61

From the Sunday Times

 

What an utter, utter, scumbag Dominic Cummings is.

 

But it's inline with what some "younger" Tories have been saying until recently. A friend of mine who is a rabid Tory has been saying for the last month that the economy had to come first :unsure:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is so hard to resist wishing that they would have a horrible case of the coronas, but resist we must, because it would be awful if one of them wasted a ventilator which could be being used by an ordinary pleasant human being.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

 

ok, that explains it a bit. I’m in the defense industry. Our production lines and R&D cycles are almost conjecture independent. 

I work in Automotive, and I've no idea where all this will leave the industry. Maybe people will forgo flying around the globe and instead travel more locally and buy more cars as a result. Or maybe everybody will sell their cars in order to buy TP.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Guardian story on Germany's low death rate:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/22/germany-low-coronavirus-mortality-rate-puzzles-experts

 

(Nothing conclusive: Age, better testing, tracking the early cases, some question over the way the stats are gathered). I

You know what is conclusive? It is to early to confirm or explain it. At the moment the growth rate is the same as Italy in the early days, i.e from the 21st of February.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Well, that's why I am doing statistics. My company allows us to take home office during this crisis. But my boss is not happy that I decided to do that 100% of the time. He thinks we are overreacting, because German health care is so good that we don't need to worry. So I have to draw my own conclusions and decide if I follow his advice and go back to work on Monday, or if I decide to start a war with him.

 

Ask him if he knows how to operate a ventilator; many hospital beds were closed due to insufficient staff. Although hospitals are increasing the number of beds across the country and scrambling to buy more more masks and ventilators, there are not enough trained health care workers in Germany to take care of the projected number of patients. 

 

Try explaining your graphs to him.

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lockdown 2 weeks

 

I can still cycle to my allotment with my kids thank God 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, engelchen said:

 

Ask him if he knows how to operate a ventilator; many hospital beds were closed due to insufficient staff. Although hospitals are increasing the number of beds across the country and scrambling to buy more more masks and ventilators, there are not enough trained health care workers in Germany to take care of the projected number of patients. 

 

Try explaining your graphs to him.

 

 

I already decided, not going to the company this week. I will talk with him tomorrow, lets see if he changed his opinion.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now