4,833 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, slammer said:

Actually there is one theory that says that the Black death was the midwife for our society today. There were so few people left that the old feudal order of serfs and lords totaly disintegrated and was replaced by land owners having to pay wages for the first time, it also gave rise to the Hospitium, that what we know as a hospitals. It forced people to find alternative methods and technical ways to work the land and produce goods. So you may have to be thankful for the Black death for our modern society.

It also kept Europe from becoming overcrowded fast. When the Portuguese first arrived in Japan, they were extremely surprised on the incredibly high population density even on those days. Why? Because Japanese never had the black plague and their internal wars were in general not consequential. 

4 hours ago, McDee said:

Sorry, I was having a really bad day. To all of you, sorry again.

Good on ya. I wish you a better day tomorrow and beyond.

11 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

It also kept Europe from becoming overcrowded fast. When the Portuguese first arrived in Japan, they were extremely surprised on the incredibly high population density even on those days. Why? Because Japanese never had the black plague and their internal wars were in general not consequential. 

Not the only advantage, it would seem that epedemics put human evolution on a fast track, those that survived the black death were immune to certain viral infections and could be the reason why Europeans are so hard to eradicate. There is also one theory that the black death lead to the rise of English as a dominating language, before that almost all matters of state and religion were held in latin, after the black death chewed up most of the literate monks English was the language of choice, also information needed to be distributed as fast as possible and without the monks to hand write texts, the printing press came to it´s own.

So, yes! A good pandemic maybe just what we need.

Having said that there still is the matter of the Spanish flu just after ww1, another bird flu that could have come out of China, it had the potential to wipe us off the face of the earth and correct me if I am wrong but it seems that the strains of avian flu are trying to jump the species gap to be highly infectious to humans.

21 hours ago, McDee said:

Sorry, I was having a really bad day. To all of you, sorry again.

Hope today is better for ya. We all get stressed and snap at others, totally been guilty of that myself. 

Cornona virus. It was smack on the front page of the newspaper at work today with the latest news about corona virus in Italy. Cordoning off areas reminded me of Albert Camus' novel The Plague. The novel is set in 1940s Algeria.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plague Another epidemic realted short story (1918-19 flu) which is wonderfully strange in its stream of consciousness style is Katherine Anne 'Porter's Pale Hose, Pale Rider.' Just in case you are looking for a literary 'escape.' 

On 2/11/2020, 11:34:52, alderhill said:

Wild animals await their turn to be cooked alive in little cages next to other wild animals.

Wild animals? Nothing, no preventive measure, disinfectant, vaccine, medicine, mask could ever save humanity from this sort of unspeakable (unable to describe this) practice. I saw a video of a market, where Chinese shoppers walked around open carcasses of crocodiles, pythons, mongoose, snakes, bears, birds I have never seen (must be bats, baby eagles) with shopping bags. Not a single face showed any sign of disgust or a creepy feeling, which I felt just watching the video. It was a regular shopping day, as we look for spinach or others for chicken or fish. I have more to say but unable to. 

I have to travel by public transport to Zürich shortly. The Apotheke owner says they have no more masks left. Is it possible to get them anywhere at all? 

Obi.  

My understanding is that even surgical masks offer very little if any protection.  

54 minutes ago, seeking said:

I have to travel by public transport to Zürich shortly. The Apotheke owner says they have no more masks left. Is it possible to get them anywhere at all? 

Masks are becoming difficult to get and of course they are now expensive.   In Italy hand sanitizer is getting scarce and the speculators are selling bottles for 20 EUR.   You have to love the free markets.   Where are the people who advocate for less state and more "freedom"?  

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Obi.  

My understanding is that even surgical masks offer very little if any protection.  

Regular masks offer no protection and n95 masks offer a little protection.  

Unexpected but logical issue cropping up: in 10 days time the annual Plenary Meeting of the International Gliding Commission (IGC) takes place in Budapest.

Delegates from around the globe (including myself) are attending.

Yesterday evening a mail came from our chairman about this Virus in connection with the meeting & that one delegate had proposed delaying the meeting.

This would be fraught with difficulties as most (all?) of us have fixed travel arrangements which cannot be refunded & the local organisers have put in a lot of effort (including financial) to make sure that the event runs smoothly.

Thus the meeting will go ahead - unless Budapest etc. get shut down in the meantime.  Its not that far from Northern Italy!

if you or anyone in your family need regular medication you may want to stock up as there are already disruptions in the supply chain and it is getting worse. I’m seeing medical doctors doing this for their own private needs.

I wonder why the media spread the plain name "Coronavirus" this time.  Coronavirus is a generic name for this type of viruses.   The proper names were Novel Coronavirus at the beginning (nCov) and then SARS-CoV-2.  And the disease is called COVID-19.   The media could help to call it properly, or at least SARS2.    We had had other Coronaviruses before, the most (in)famous one was SARS.

20 minutes ago, Krieg said:

The media could help to call it properly, or at least SARS2.

The media do what THEY want.

54 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

I asked my epidemiology friend and she said the surgical mask offers very little protection if an infected person sneezes near you ( < 2m ).  But she says there is indirect protection, because you normally touch a bunch of things with your hands and then you touch your mouth or nose.   She said the best you can do is to stay away from crowds (she lives in a place where the virus is already there and plenty of people are staying at home) and to keep the best hygiene you can, wash hands regularly and properly and wash yourself thoroughly if you go out of the house.

P.S., Emergency food (NRG-5, BP-ER, BP-WR, etc) is getting sold out in Amazon.de, so some Germans must be scared enough already.

57 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

if you or anyone in your family need regular medication you may want to stock up as there are already disruptions in the supply chain and it is getting worse. I’m seeing medical doctors doing this for their own private needs.

Which supply chain? Mine are all made in Germany. Anyway, my doc is closed this whole Ferien week.

37 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I wonder why the media spread the plain name "Coronavirus" this time.  Coronavirus is a generic name for this type of viruses.   The proper names were Novel Coronavirus at the beginning (nCov) and then SARS-CoV-2.  And the disease is called COVID-19.   The media could help to call it properly, or at least SARS2.    We had had other Coronaviruses before, the most (in)famous one was SARS.

It took a while for them to name it COVID-19 and by then the name "coronavirus" had already been established.  "Novel coronavirus" is also something that I hear in the press, but it seems overkill.  Most people did not know or care that SARS and MERS were also coronavirii so the fact that the new one is "novel" is not particularly useful.  For them the name "coronavirus" is new and acceptable.     

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

Since there seems to be no masks available that is exactly what I would expect us to be told!

Don't panic....

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Which supply chain? Mine are all made in Germany. Anyway, my doc is closed this whole Ferien week.

May be medicines. But other things such as disinfectant spray, masks, related stuff may be imported and in short supply. Some of these things are sure to come from China where supply chains are disrupted.