5,150 posts in this topic

Since I couldn't find a topic on this yet (maybe I missed it) I figured I'll kick off the festivities. One of my managers is freaking out thinking this is THE virus that will wipe out a large part of the world population. 

Granted, Disney Shanghai is closed, and as someone living in Orlando trust me, Disney does not close easily. Hurricane? Hunker down y'all, preferably at Epcot or Magic Kingdom. 

Personally I won't change much, I've always wiped down my area of the airplane (my arm rests, tray table and tv controls) with some lysol wipes so I won't be changing THAT habit. 

Thoughts? 

We're in a hotel where a group of Chinese are staying. The lift is broken. I haven't been touching the hand railings on the stairs. :rolleyes:

Worldwide the coronavirus has killed somethng around 25 people.  Meanwhile the regular flu has killed 25,000 in Germany alone.  I am not sure what makes the corona virus so much worse, but I haven't been following it that closely.  After the press hyped the Bird Flu so much has made me sceptical.  Doesn't hurt to be careful, though. 

3 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

Worldwide the coronavirus has killed somethng around 25 people.  Meanwhile the regular flu has killed 25,000 in Germany alone.  I am not sure what makes the corona virus so much worse, but I haven't been following it that closely.  After the press hyped the Bird Flu so much has made me sceptical.  Doesn't hurt to be careful, though. 

I think it may because flu is a known virus, we can deal with flu even if (as in case if the 1918 flu) millions die, scientists don‘t know what this bugger can do yet. Will it burn out or is the next pandemic on the way? Watch this space.

7 minutes ago, BradinBayern said:

I mostly disinfect because I don't want anyone's germs. Be it this 'new' virus, the flu or the common cold. People are nasty. But yea I probably wouldn't fly to Wuhan China right about now. 

I also recall SARS and Swine Flu and Bird Flu and each of them was slated to kill us all - and suddenly they disappear from the news, but did they disappear? I try hard to not follow the news too closely as US news are mostly horror and tragedy, but I was curious what everyone's take is - since my boss is debating canceling her international travel plans for this. 

27 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Since when? Curious.

Hafta Google grippetote Europa, it was 25000 in germany in 2017

I Yahooed it instead and found this -

Germany's Robert Koch Institute (RKI) says the illness has already killed 136 German citizens since January 1 of this year. The RKI confirmed that it had registered 24,000 cases last week, by far the highest number since flu season in Germany began in December 2017. That number is up from 18,700 in the previous week. 

here

Glad we had our jabs.

Just now, fraufruit said:

I Yahooed it instead and found this -

here

Glad we had our jabs.

I wonder if the anti vaxxers are if the same opinion.

I had my jab this afternoon and told the needle lady I don't eat bats.

Unless you salivate at the sight of Fliedermäuser you should be okay. 

Got a flu vax this year although I usually don't (and don't get the flu), but Publix was paying me $10 to get it and I could use the $$$ at the time so why not. So far so good. Hoping my Germany trip won't give me the flu :P 

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Glad we had our jabs.

So did we.

But I hate to tell you that it doesn't always work!  Doctors have to "guess" what version of the virus they expect that year and might get it wrong, and often viruses mutate and if they do this enough then the jab is anyway not effective.  Plus, if you travel a lot this not only exposes you to more but the virus can be different in different countries/areas.

But I still figure better to take the jab, at least then you have a chance of avoiding it.

Our company used to offer it for free for employees, until they started cost-cutting!

I was in Wuhan last August, on business. I thought it was the largest city that nobody ever heard outside china. Well, now everybody knows about it.

My neighbors are right now in China to celebrate the new year, and we keep a close contact with them, let's see if they come without it :)

13 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

Can you please quote your source that regular flu has killed 25,000 people in Germany.  Is that number from the beginning of time?  Unfortunately, the Coronavirus does mimic flu-like symptoms in some cases.

My source was already posted above.  It referred to one flu season.  I was trying to put things into perspective, not write a thesis on the influenza virus. 

Hong Kong is closing school until Feb. 17th, among other measures.

you don't do that because some kid sneezed in class.