To tackle apartment scams in ebay-kleinanzeigen, wg-gesucht etc..

11 posts in this topic

Hello Toytowners,

Since I decided to move into a new apartment by myself, I have been actively searching for apartments through ebay-kleinynzeigen or immobilienscout24 etc.

I have seen my fair share of scams through these websites for the past few years and they mostly have similar modus operandi and scripts.

The owner is out of the city and they use a fake airbnb website to make you believe that it is authentic and they can send you the keys once you have transferred the caution deposit and the rent.

I am sure that most people can see through their poorly written scripts and the rip off airbnb website but is there anything more we can do to tackle them? They usually send me the bank account details to which I have to send the money to. Is that something which can be reported to the authorities (not sure if the police would even care about this).

I usually bait them for as long as I can and once they ask me for a receipt for the payment, I usually send them a piece of paper saying "Fuck You Scammer" via email.

Any creative ideas are welcome. I see this as a win win situation where I usually have fun on their expense and they do not scam someone who is oblivious to these scams.

The "problem" exists for more than 10 years. I don't think the big 4 are going to change this. Since a few years you have the same sort of scam for ships, cars, motorhomes aso

I had a bad experience with klanenzeigen.  I had something for sale and guy said he would like to receive the shipment in London. But in the end he asked me to send him an amazon gift card and he would send me the cash. So be aware of such scammers. 

Some customers are genuine and I have a good experience with that. 

Golden Rule : No Shipping without payment. Please check your bank account for the payment received. Do not rely on emails or sms for payment confirmations. 

30 minutes ago, iflight said:

I had a bad experience with klanenzeigen.  I had something for sale and guy said he would like to receive the shipment in London. But in the end he asked me to send him an amazon gift card and he would send me the cash. So be aware of such scammers. 

Some customers are genuine and I have a good experience with that. 

Golden Rule : No Shipping without payment. Please check your bank account for the payment received. Do not rely on emails or sms for payment confirmations. 

Just curious, but if you were selling something why would a buyer expect you to send  them a gift voutcher?

:-)

1 minute ago, keith2011 said:

Just curious, but if you wird selling something why would a buyer expect you to send  them a gift voutcher?

:-)

Thats the catch. 

Suppose u want to sell your item for 100 EURO e.g Laptop Bag. 

The scammer (Buyer) will agree to your price. He will tell you to ship it to his brother as he wants to gift him this laptop bag. 

He will also agree to pay additional shipping charges. He will then tell you that he needs an Amazon Gift Card  / Steam Gift Card or any such online card as this is also a part of his gift and currently he cannot buy it as he is working in a restricted area or something like that. 

The guy who tried to scam me said he works in the army and they are not allowed to do online transactions like amazon steam etc. 

If you agree to this then he will ask for your email ID and send u a fake email confirming payment. The scammer can also send u a fake SMS thinking that its from your bank or a confirmation as he will already have your Paypal or bank details. 

If by mistake u think he has made the payment and ship the item you are in a deep mess. 

The scammer will get his item as you cannot recall via DHL (Im not sure if there is such option to recall). 

Plus 

You dont get any money as the money was never sent. 

Out of 100 such people at least there would be one fool who would dispatch the items. 

They are just eager to find one such fool. 

If anyone falls for that they should be sent back to school haha. How much did you lose? 

On 1/24/2020, 1:28:42, Lahwf said:

I am sure that most people can see through their poorly written scripts and the rip off airbnb website but is there anything more we can do to tackle them? They usually send me the bank account details to which I have to send the money to. Is that something which can be reported to the authorities (not sure if the police would even care about this).

If you have a lot of time on your hands and feel like doing this, you can bait them for as long as you can and then report them to the police.  I'm not sure if anything will happen though but if they have an account number, they could be traced.

On 07/06/2020, 17:44:30, McDee said:

If anyone falls for that they should be sent back to school haha. How much did you lose? 

I didn't fall for. its easy to spot such scammers. a good German would never do that. Germans are straight forward and honest. I have purchased via e-bay klanenzeigen before and all the germans who sold their stuff never cheated me. 

On 07/06/2020, 18:42:34, LeonG said:

If you have a lot of time on your hands and feel like doing this, you can bait them for as long as you can and then report them to the police.  I'm not sure if anything will happen though but if they have an account number, they could be traced.

Actually reporting them to police and going around all that hassle doesn't benefit as I only have to waste my time. if the police rewards for identifying such scammers then its worth the time and trouble.