Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

To tackle apartment scams in ebay-kleinanzeigen, wg-gesucht etc..

4 posts in this topic

Hello Toytowners,

Since I decided to move into a new apartment by myself, I have been actively searching for apartments through ebay-kleinynzeigen or immobilienscout24 etc.

I have seen my fair share of scams through these websites for the past few years and they mostly have similar modus operandi and scripts.

The owner is out of the city and they use a fake airbnb website to make you believe that it is authentic and they can send you the keys once you have transferred the caution deposit and the rent.

I am sure that most people can see through their poorly written scripts and the rip off airbnb website but is there anything more we can do to tackle them? They usually send me the bank account details to which I have to send the money to. Is that something which can be reported to the authorities (not sure if the police would even care about this).

I usually bait them for as long as I can and once they ask me for a receipt for the payment, I usually send them a piece of paper saying "Fuck You Scammer" via email.

Any creative ideas are welcome. I see this as a win win situation where I usually have fun on their expense and they do not scam someone who is oblivious to these scams.

The "problem" exists for more than 10 years. I don't think the big 4 are going to change this. Since a few years you have the same sort of scam for ships, cars, motorhomes aso