Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Converting arable land to commercial land (Ackerland-Gewerbegebiet)

6 posts in this topic

My husband inherited some arable land from his father a few years ago.  The land had been in the family for a few generations and leased by a farmer. Payment used to be a tractor trailer load of potatoes per year.  The farmer has quit growing since his retirement and now pays 20€ cash per year.

The land is directly adjacent to a motorway close to Frankfurt and adjoins a recently built major courier distribution center. The Gemeinde told me that there are plans to convert arable land in this area for commercial use though couldn't be specific as to which plots exactly.  The area in question includes about 6 plots, my husband owns 2 plots in the middle.

I was told that my husband wouldn't be allowed to use the land for personal use even if the farmer stops paying the minimal lease...no growing, no shed, garden house etc.  

What really happens when land is converted for commercial use? We've heard a few stories that the Gemeinde force the owners to sell to them and then they sell on to the end buyers for considerably higher prices. Is it possible to convert arable lease to commercial lease for a plot in the middle of others?  Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

If I were in your shoes I'd go to an assessor and find out its market value if you can indeed sell it for development, talk to people in the commercial real estate business as well, talk to a lawyer and find out about your legal rights as per expropriation. What you describe sounds like outright theft if the Gemeinde doesn't convert the land to use for the common good, ie roads, school, hospital etc. 

note: I have no basis to give any advice whatsoever, it just seems like the right thing to do

He would be allowed to grow for his own consumption... but not for profit.

If the Gemeinde offer him 3000€   then thats is a pathetic price really, but in reallity, it would take him 150 year to rake that in.. 

The farmer has quit growing since his retirement and now pays 20€ cash per year.

Is the farmer doing anything with the land? Is there anything you'd like to grow there?

The area in question includes about 6 plots, my husband owns 2 plots in the middle.

Are the other plots in use?

I was told that my husband wouldn't be allowed to use the land for personal use even if the farmer stops paying the minimal lease...no growing, no shed, garden house etc.  

Why not? Did they give any reason why he wouldn't be allowed to farm his own land? 

What really happens when land is converted for commercial use? We've heard a few stories that the Gemeinde force the owners to sell to them and then they sell on to the end buyers for considerably higher prices

I'm sure there are Gemeinde that would try something shady like that, however, it doesn't seem to be legal.

§ 87
Voraussetzungen für die Zulässigkeit der Enteignung

(1) Die Enteignung ist im einzelnen Fall nur zulässig, wenn das Wohl der Allgemeinheit sie erfordert und der Enteignungszweck auf andere zumutbare Weise nicht erreicht werden kann.

(2) 1Die Enteignung setzt voraus, dass der Antragsteller sich ernsthaft um den freihändigen Erwerb des zu enteignenden Grundstücks zu angemessenen Bedingungen, unter den Voraussetzungen des § 100 Abs. 1 und 3 unter Angebot geeigneten anderen Landes, vergeblich bemüht hat. 2Der Antragsteller hat glaubhaft zu machen, dass das Grundstück innerhalb angemessener Frist zu dem vorgesehenen Zweck verwendet wird.

(3) 1Die Enteignung eines Grundstücks zu dem Zweck, es für die bauliche Nutzung vorzubereiten (§ 85 Abs. 1 Nr. 1) oder es der baulichen Nutzung zuzuführen (§ 85 Abs. 1 Nr. 2), darf nur zugunsten der Gemeinde oder eines öffentlichen Bedarfs- oder Erschließungsträgers erfolgen. 2In den Fällen des § 85 Abs. 1 Nr. 5 kann die Enteignung eines Grundstücks zugunsten eines Bauwilligen verlangt werden, der in der Lage ist, die Baumaßnahmen innerhalb angemessener Frist durchzuführen, und sich hierzu verpflichtet. 3Soweit im förmlich festgelegten Sanierungsgebiet die Enteignung zugunsten der Gemeinde zulässig ist, kann sie auch zugunsten eines Sanierungsträgers erfolgen.

(4) Die Zulässigkeit der Enteignung wird durch die Vorschriften des Sechsten Teils des Zweiten Kapitels nicht berührt.

Are you aware of BORIS?   No, not that one, this one:

https://hvbg.hessen.de/immobilienwerte/boris-hessen

It is the "land reference value information system " for Hessen.  In also lins to the GEO portal page which has a BORIS overlay, here:

http://www.geoportal.hessen.de/portal/karten.html?WMC=39

This shows a map of Hessen and when you zoom in (or search for an address) you can see the land value for that area.  Which depends on its designated use type.

This is the official value of the land according to the state.  This is NOT the Commerical value of the land!  But, I believe that if you are "forced" to sell the land that this is price which the local authority would offer you.  And it is also the value which you should use in some cases (such as Bauueberhangrente).

51 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Is the farmer doing anything with the land? Is there anything you'd like to grow there?

Are the other plots in use?

Why not? Did they give any reason why he wouldn't be allowed to farm his own land? 

I'm sure there are Gemeinde that would try something shady like that, however, it doesn't seem to be legal.

Seemingly, there are 6 plots of land leased by the farmer.  My husband's plots are in the middle ...not much, just around 3000sqm his, around 20000sqm total.  The farmer apparently does nothing with any of the land yet still pays the low annual lease.  The Gemeinde  told me that  getting anything at all for leased Ackerland is a bonus and that there's no official price scale.  The selling price scale is 2-5€ per sqm.

When I asked what we could use the land for privately....no Schrebergarten, no shed, no garden house.  I asked if we could plant trees and make a small nature reserve....the chap was   somewhat flummoxed and said that that was possibly likely. 

I also asked if any kind of 'Zwang' verkauf could happen...he sounded most shocked at the suggestion and vehemently denied that any kind of 'Zwang' could ever happen. Slightly suspicious of his reaction.

Thanks for the official quote, I'll ask my husband to read and digest properly.