Terminally-ill parent living in Berlin - advice regarding Power of Attorney/finances etc.

16 posts in this topic

Hi folks, 

Both my father and I live in Berlin, and we are both British citizens with permanent residency here. My father is terminally ill, living the last of his days in a nursing home here in Berlin. His condition is now such that it's very difficult for him to make any decisions or even sign any documents. I signed the 'Vorsorgevollmacht' today at the nursing home, and the manager urged me to contact all of his banks here. I am not 100% sure what I need to do here though - simply telephone them? The manager also mentioned that the banks might want to visit my father for proof of his condition.Of course I realise that they'll want proof of the Vollmacht. I'm assuming I can photocopy that and send it to them? It's important that I have access to his finances to sort out important things (his flat, bills etc.) before he gets too ill to communicate and passes away. 

Also, he still has one bank account with Barclays UK. Am I correct in saying that I'll need a lawyer to organise PoE in the UK? The problem is is that he's here in Germany and completely immobile. Any help much appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

You will need certified copies of the POA for banks , service providers etc.

The German or English POA? 

I would think both- Barclays will want an Englsh copy.j

I am sorry to hear of your father's condition- this is a hard time for you.

You may well need a lawyer to make sure this is all done correctly.

21 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

I would think both- Barclays will want an Englsh copy.j

I am sorry to hear of your father's condition- this is a hard time for you.

You may well need a lawyer to make sure this is all done correctly.

Thanks and thanks for your advice. 

39 minutes ago, Loobster said:

Both my father and I live in Berlin, and we are both British citizens with permanent residency here. My father is terminally ill, living the last of his days in a nursing home here in Berlin. His condition is now such that it's very difficult for him to make any decisions or even sign any documents. I signed the 'Vorsorgevollmacht' today at the nursing home,

I would highly recommend that you contact your local Pflegestützpunkt for advice:

https://www.pflegestuetzpunkteberlin.de/standort/werbellinstrasse/

The Pflegestützpunkte are financed by the state and the Kassen and can offer free independent advice on how to navigate all the complex issues involved in caring for an elderly relative. 

Indeed better call them.today. when I had to take over they wanted to see the person giving me access to their accounts to avoid someone being pressurised to give you access.

If he´s still compos mentis and prepared to give you general power of attorney you might want to consider asking a notary to come to his bedside to document his will and / or give you a general power of attorney stipulating that it will be valid beyond his death.

15 hours ago, jeba said:

If he´s still compos mentis and prepared to give you general power of attorney you might want to consider asking a notary to come to his bedside to document his will and / or give you a general power of attorney stipulating that it will be valid beyond his death.

I believe the care home has a notary they work with and will hopefully come to his bedside in the next couple of days. 

A general power of attorney will be handy and even save some money you´d otherwise have to spend on a certificate of inheritance (Erbschein). Unless there are other heirs who are objecting / withdrawing it, of course.

Barclays have told me they need address varification and ID varification as well as a translation of the German Vorsorgevollmacht. Where would I go to get certified photocopies of my passport and utility bills? 

German banks might be reluctant to accept a PoA which is not based on their individual templates and was not executed in front of one of their employees, confirming the identity of their customer. The latter can be resolved by a notary being present (as suggested above).

Having ^'normal'  witnesses for a document signature does not carry much weight in Germany.

3 hours ago, Loobster said:

Where would I go to get certified photocopies of my passport and utility bills? 

I believe a notary would do this (will of course charge for the service).

The Burgeramt can certify your passport at a much cheaper rate than a notary- 5 Euro per document as opposed to the ca. 20-40 Euro from a notary.

No one will certify a utility bill, however, as it is a print out and not an original copy of something with a stamp and signature. (Or something like that) I ran into this problem last year. I'm guessing the UK is asking for a utility bill as proof of address (It was a UK company asking me too) which works there but not here. I eventually got them to accept my Anmeldungsbescheinigung (and I didn't need to have it translated either) as proof of address- which you can also have certified at the BA cheaply. 

Sorry about your father. It must be hard. 

Are you also on his bank account?  If not and if it's possible, you should be added to his account so you can pay bills both now and when your father passes.

Although others here might disagree, if your father has an online account(s) and you have access to his username/password/TAN, I would determine a month's worth of cash requirements and transfer the balance of the account to my bank.  If more money is needed at his bank, I'd transfer back as needed.

That's what I did with my mother's accounts.