Cholesterol values - question for the Doctors

185 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

Nooooooooooo. It is never too cold for running. I've been running since 1988 and never missed a day of running because of the weather.

kudos! I went for a mountain bike ride today at -6 C and running yesterday. sports during long lunch breaks are one of the very few good things of the last 12 months of mostly homeoffice.

20 hours ago, Gambatte said:

Nooooooooooo. It is never too cold for running. I've been running since 1988 and never missed a day of running because of the weather.

Went running again today. With proper clothing and sunny weather the -14°C breeze feels just fine

today.png

41 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

Would you like to pm me your Strava so I follow you?:rolleyes:

pm sent :)

On 2/11/2021, 8:47:57, RenegadeFurther said:

Sorry I must have missed this. I use an indoor cycling machine and connect my heart rate to the monitor.

Too cold to go running at the moment.

A training plan can also involve only one piece of equipment.  There is a lot of information out there about training hard/easy.  Generally it is recommended to do approx 80% of your training 'easy' and 20% 'hard'.  What is 'easy' vs 'hard' seems to be more contentious especially related to heart rate, but you can also go by perceived effort.  (Btw, I like to measure/record my exercise and I am a woman, so don't think it is just a man thing.)  Triathlete.com seems to have some interesting articles on these subjects.

Update

I went to see a cardiologist (long story short: I need a health certificate for competitive sport), and I grab the chance to show him my latest cholesterol test that a previous cardiologist said cholesterol was high (total 209, good HDL 70, bad LDL 125, fat trygliceride 70). Interesting to hear this latest Dr said this this cholesterol value is actually NOT high. 

Normally people say cholesterol is high when the tot is >200. This guy said this is nonsense, you must not judge cholesterol by looking at only one of the parameters, one must always look at the whole bunch. And with this very high good HDL, a total of 209 is not high.

Good to hear.

After reading 'The Great Cholesterol Con' by Dr Malcolm Kendrick, I no longer worry about my cholesterol levels.

So last Monday I did a 30minute work out.

Average Power 240 Watts

Max Heart Rate 171bpm

Average Heart Rate 159 bpm

I then took a few days (3 to be exact) off and did exactly the same workout again yesterday.

Average Power 210 Watts

Max Heart Rate 190bpm

Average Heart Rate 171 bpm

Wtf, does anyone know why after starting again my heart rate has now completely sky rocketed?

Should I be worried?

2 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

How did you measure the power?

The bike calculates it based on cadence and resistance.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

So last Monday I did a 30minute work out.

Average Power 240 Watts

Max Heart Rate 171bpm

Average Heart Rate 159 bpm

I then took a few days (3 to be exact) off and did exactly the same workout again yesterday.

Average Power 210 Watts

Max Heart Rate 190bpm

Average Heart Rate 171 bpm

Wtf, does anyone know why after starting again my heart rate has now completely sky rocketed?

Should I be worried?

My husband was given some guidelines like this from his doc...(similar to this from google). He was advised to ensure that he doesn’t near any maximum levels. Less is more.

You can calculate your maximum heart rate by subtracting your age from 220. For example, if you're 45 years old, subtract 45 from 220 to get a maximum heart rate of 175. This is the average maximum number of times your heart should beat per minute during exercise.

Best to check with your heart doctor. 

1 hour ago, emkay said:

My husband was given some guidelines like this from his doc...(similar to this from google). He was advised to ensure that he doesn’t near any maximum levels. Less is more.

You can calculate your maximum heart rate by subtracting your age from 220. For example, if you're 45 years old, subtract 45 from 220 to get a maximum heart rate of 175. This is the average maximum number of times your heart should beat per minute during exercise.

Best to check with your heart doctor. 

My max heart rate should be 174bpm, but I go regularly above it. 

I managed 190bpm but not since September.

Now after my rest days I find that I am now in the 180`s which is really strange.

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Now after my rest days I find that I am now in the 180`s which is really strange.

What has your cardiologist recommended?

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I guess you are working hard on giving yourself another heart attack.

Dial it back.   I am not sure what your measurements in watts really mean, but either you have to be more patient and wait until you slowly get fitter or you are simply pushing too much and you have unrealistic expectations or a wrong idea about what exercising is.   You should keep it at the edge for no more than 2/3 of your training time.

5 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I guess you are working hard on giving yourself another heart attack.

Dial it back.   I am not sure what your measurements in watts really mean, but either you have to be more patient and wait until you slowly get fitter or you are simply pushing too much and you have unrealistic expectations or a wrong idea about what exercising is.   You should keep it at the edge for no more than 2/3 of your training time.

My average heart beat when working out before my rest days was about 155bpm. I try to stay below 160 bpm which my cardio has deemed okay.

However when doing the same exercise in Watts (resistance and cadence), I am going way into the 180`s.

My resting heart rate is also 52 bpm, but for some unknown reason it is now 63 bpm.

2 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

My average heart beat when working out before my rest days was about 155bpm. I try to stay below 160 bpm which my cardio has deemed okay.

However when doing the same exercise in Watts (resistance and cadence), I am going way into the 180`s.

You should feel it when you are going at 180 and 190 bpm, why do you continue doing it instead of simply reducing the pace?   I don't need a heart rate meter to tell me I am pushing too much.   Meeting targets and breaking new records is not as important as your health.   It seems you are obsessed with exercising.

2 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

My resting heart rate is also 52 bpm, but for some unknown reason it is now 63 bpm.

Maybe because you are stressing yourself about it.  A self-fulfilling prophecy. 

But if you take care of yourself and you continue seeing a problem better ask your doctor instead of asking the Internets.

33 minutes ago, Krieg said:

You should feel it when you are going at 180 and 190 bpm, why do you continue doing it instead of simply reducing the pace? 

I normally try to maintain 250 Watts for 5-6 minutes (heart rate reaching 180 now), then I will have a recovery period of 3 minutes (where I just sit on the bike do nothing and bring my heart rate down to about 145 bpm).

Previously I did 250 Watts for 10 minutes with a 3 minute recovery time. This I stopped.

I will try to change again and do the 250 Watts for 4 minutes with a 3 minute recovery time.

I don't remember exact data but my gut feeling is that after 3 min your heart rate should have lowered more.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

I don't remember exact data but my gut feeling is that after 3 min your heart rate should have lowered more.

I drink a lot of water during the time out so I am not completely stationary and also i am cycling at a very low speed to keep my muscles warm.