Cholesterol values - question for the Doctors

185 posts in this topic

@RenegadeFurther, methinks the best approach for yer health is to stay away from controversial issues, be the good guy, not the bad guy, take some yoga classes, eat more veggies, less meat, breath in, breath out,  stay calm, just trying to help a fellow TT'er out. I think you have a slight chance for redemption.

3 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Maybe I will hijack this thread.

So for the last 3 months I have been doing a bit of fitness (prepare myself if I ever caught Covid),

So I calculated my max heart rate (220 - age = 174)

So my max heart rate should be 174.

However when I exercise I can maintain a heart rate of 176 for over 30 minutes. This is HIIT exercise.

Also during HIIT I can get a heart rate of over 200 bpm.

Is this healthy for someone who has had a heart attack?

I will ask my cardio next time I see him but wondering if I am over doing it.

No, you shouldn’t be training close to your MHR without professional supervision and with a medical history of heart problems and and I don’t need to be a medical doctor to be sure of this. Moreover if you’re just now starting with this fitness stuff. What’s wrong with a daily walk or moderate jog or bike ride? Those will make you increasingly fit and burn off calories without maybe killing you. I’m not against HIIT, but the key here is professional supervision - read certified trainer with focus on rehab.

disclaimer: as I said, not a medical doctor but I’ve been regularly doing cardio-heavy sports for the last 25 years or so as well as strength training so I know a thing or two about what works and what doesn’t.

2 hours ago, catjones said:

TT is always my first go-to for medical advice.  I then look for legal advice.

:D :D

1 hour ago, mtbiking said:

No, you shouldn’t be training close to your MHR without professional supervision and with a medical history of heart problems and and I don’t need to be a medical doctor to be sure of this. Moreover if you’re just now starting with this fitness stuff. What’s wrong with a daily walk or moderate jog or bike ride? Those will make you increasingly fit and burn off calories without maybe killing you. I’m not against HIIT, but the key here is professional supervision - read certified trainer with focus on rehab.

disclaimer: as I said, not a medical doctor but I’ve been regularly doing cardio-heavy sports for the last 25 years or so as well as strength training so I know a thing or two about what works and what doesn’t.

Well, if a patient with a history of cardiac problems AND depression came to me and asked if HIIT were a good cure for his condition, my answer would be... yes.

In fact, he'll never be depressed again!

(Because he dead, man.)

/s

10 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Maybe I will hijack this thread.

So for the last 3 months I have been doing a bit of fitness (prepare myself if I ever caught Covid),

However when I exercise I can maintain a heart rate of 176 for over 30 minutes. This is HIIT exercise.

From all of the medical advice that my husband has had regarding post heart attack fitness, it would seem that you are over doing it! Possibly dangerously so. 

My husband had a narrow escape this week. He had issues and wanted to wait until his next scheduled cardio appointment. Thankfully he got to see the cardio same day that quite likely prevented another heart attack.  Don’t wait...see your cardio sooner or have a telephone appointment to check your exercise plan and limits.  Ask about strength exercise. This was recommended to my husband together with only light aerobic exercise.  

I´d rather calculate 220- (0,8*age). Not sure whether that´s meaningful for patients with a history of heart attacks though. I´d rather have it established individually by ergometry.

However when I exercise I can maintain a heart rate of 176 for over 30 minutes.

.Sounds too high to my ears. Especially without ECG monitoring, given your history.

That´s hard to believe. If I had had a heart attack I wouldn´t want it to be true anyway I´d also want my blood pressure monitored during exercise.

Congratulations for taking that step.   It seems like you have had some success.   👍

This is a rule of thumb, fist rule, heuristic, but you should ask your Cardiologist what a safe max rate is.   Your MHR to be used for finding the "aerobic zone" or "intensity zone" may vary from that calculation.   

For long runs, i found through trial and error that i could burn fat as long as my heart rate did not go above 130 and that was more than a 10% deviation from the expected value.

Is your heart above 176 the whole 30 minutes or just for short intervals?   If you would be running 200 meter intervals on a track with rest in between, you would elevate your heart rate, but also recover.   It would work the same way if you were jumping rope in sets or doing vertical jumps.  

I am not a medical professional,  but that seems high for someone your age who has not had a heart attack if it lasts for more than a very short time.

Good luck.

31 minutes ago, emkay said:

Ask about strength exercise. This was recommended to my husband together with only light aerobic exercise.  

I wish the best for your husband's health.  

If it is not personal, would you be able to share the kind of strength exercises recommended to him?

12 minutes ago, balticus said:

you should ask your Cardiologist what a safe max rate is

No. He should ask what his safe heart rate is.

8 hours ago, Techsmex said:

@RenegadeFurther, methinks the best approach for yer health is to stay away from controversial issues, be the good guy, not the bad guy, take some yoga classes, eat more veggies, less meat, breath in, breath out,  stay calm, just trying to help a fellow TT'er out. I think you have a slight chance for redemption.

7 hours ago, Metall said:

Well, if a patient with a history of cardiac problems AND depression came to me and asked if HIIT were a good cure for his condition, my answer would be... yes.

In fact, he'll never be depressed again!

(Because he dead, man.)

/s

Do you two clowns have anything better to do with your spare time?

Is the Trump thread not satisfying enough? 

30 minutes ago, jeba said:

No. He should ask what his safe heart rate is.

Of course for himself and not his next door neighbor or his dog.   🙄

54 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Do you two clowns have anything better to do with your spare time?

Is the Trump thread not satisfying enough? 

Metall is AFAIK a medical doctor.

I'm tired of discussing my credentials publicly on Toytown ever since I was threatened over them.

Anybody who wants to know can PM me.

4 hours ago, balticus said:

I wish the best for your husband's health.  

If it is not personal, would you be able to share the kind of strength exercises recommended to him?

Thank you for your best wishes.  After my husbands first heart attack in his mid thirties, the medical advice was to absolutely not continue with any weight training so he quit his gym membership.  He’s now mid fifties and was advised that moderate weight training is very suitable though he needs to keep BP and heart rate in check.  He has a tendency to overdo exercise....he never really grasps the principle of ‘less is more’!  As gym membership is no longer suitable for him, he bought a hydraulic type of multigym. It is very good and overall much lighter and takes less space than the conventional weight block multigyms. If anyone is interested in the brand, I’ll add a link.  Very useful that the manufacturer offers a delivery and assembly service.  

5 hours ago, jeba said:

I´d rather calculate 220- (0,8*age). Not sure whether that´s meaningful for patients with a history of heart attacks though. I´d rather have it established individually by ergometry.

.Sounds too high to my ears. Especially without ECG monitoring, given your history.

That´s hard to believe. If I had had a heart attack I wouldn´t want it to be true anyway I´d also want my blood pressure monitored during exercise.

I strap a heart rate monitor around my chest and log the results during my workout.

Go see a real doctor - who will look at everything connected to you and give you a professional way to go forward.

Thats what your med insurance is for, its a bit pointless asking here, as he docs here are not looking at all your factors

Best of luck

11 hours ago, Metall said:

I'm tired of discussing my credentials publicly on Toytown ever since I was threatened over them.

Who threatened you with what? :angry: Did you report them?

2020-11-11_15-27-04.png.9a83d58e5af2c25d

14 hours ago, mtbiking said:

Metall is AFAIK a medical doctor.

@RenegadeFurther, calm down Osama the Hijacker, or is it Babar, or HF?   This is exactly the type of confrontation you should be avoiding if you want to keep that ticker beating.  Just trying to help you out 'mate'.

19 minutes ago, Techsmex said:

or HF?   

Hi Amigo!

You seem to be very interested in me. 

I received a notification that you mentioned me yesterday at beer o clock, but the post seems to have been deleted. 

ffgh.JPG.36fb1a397b8fe17d70a48c3a1329147

Is there anything in particular you would like to discuss? 

Kind regards and charades,

Hf99

30 minutes ago, Techsmex said:

or HF?   

3 minutes ago, Metall said:

#disengage

I don't think he can, Metall.