Cholesterol values - question for the Doctors

83 posts in this topic

@catjones

I think you are correct, I agree.

I just learnt of someone, not overweight, with total cholesterol of over 400馃槷.

This fact that sporty people with perfect diet and weight can have high cholesterol is exactly the opposite of what I always naively believed. Never stop learning.馃槦

It can also be hereditary. I have a friend here who had his first heart attack at 36 only to discover that his cholesterol was through the roof. He was thin and fit. They had his 12 year old son tested and his total was almost 500. Also thin, sporty and fit. They both had to get on statins.聽

My friend is still alive and well at about 50 now. He has stents inside of stents.

Sometimes diet and exercise don't matter although of course one should keep at it.

On 1/22/2020, 7:48:43, Gambatte said:

What to make of it?:blink:

You also don't mention another key component: blood pressure.

10 minutes ago, catjones said:

True- blood levels 聽need to be assessed along with health issues.

1 hour ago, catjones said:

Good point.

I don't remember the numbers, and they are not in the cholesterol letter I got, but I remember that straight after measuring the Dr said "perfekt".

2 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

Good point.

I don't remember the numbers but I remember that straight after measuring the Dr said "perfekt".

What did he say after he saw your ldl cholesterol?

Just now, RenegadeFurther said:

What did he say after he saw your ldl cholesterol?

Haven't spoken with her yet, but the handwritten comment on the cholesterol letter says something like "slightly high values, slightly high risk, no need to take medicine". Doesn't sound too bad, doesn't it...馃檮馃馃樀馃ぉ

The only thing that leaves me kind of gutted is that I don't really see any room for improvement in my nutrition or lifestyle. Zero.

Was I eating tons of butter, or doing zero exercise, one could change that, but I'm actually doing the exact opposite for the last 30+ yr.

As I mentioned before, there is a controller in your body that sends a signal to plant that sythesizes cholesterol if not enough cholesterol is in your diet.

Since your cholesterol level is it high, my diagnosis would be that the controler is defective.

If we find in my company, that a temperature controller doesn't control the temperature anymore, we just replace it.

Not so easy in a biological system.

7 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Since your cholesterol level is it high,

You don麓t know that. He hadn麓t been fasting when blood was drawn.

12 hours ago, Gambatte said:

The only thing that leaves me kind of gutted is that I don't really see any room for improvement in my nutrition or lifestyle. Zero.

Was I eating tons of butter, or doing zero exercise, one could change that, but I'm actually doing the exact opposite for the last 30+ yr.

Exactly, and thats why you have聽

13 hours ago, Gambatte said:

"slightly high values, slightly high risk, no need to take medicine"

Instead of "Extremely high values, extremely high risk, expect a heart attack in 4 years".聽

Just seen s cardiologist. She says my ECG and pressure are perfect. As for the high cholesterol values she doesn't trust them because I did not fast, she suggests to take them again. Ok, will do so, but this is interesting: I know there are Dr that say the exact opposite: cholesterol values, unlike other blood measurement, are NOT significantly affect but how long you been without eating...

On 1/28/2020, 7:06:56, Gambatte said:

Butter is not unhealthy.聽 聽

The statement above makes me wonder if components of your diet you consider healthy might not be.聽聽

I wish you good health in any case.聽

Sure聽 butter is better than some of the bad things they tried to replace聽it with which were much worse.聽 But probably good to try and bost HDL by eating things like flax seed.聽 聽OP said his HDL was too high.聽 High HDL is good!聽 聽A bit like eating a lot of pottasium rich food to ward off the high sodium stuff.聽 Balance.

2 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Sure聽 butter is better than some of the bad things they tried to replace聽it with which were much worse.聽聽

Just to clarify - are you suggesting that butter is bad?

what聽are you looking for here?

you want a docs opinion, you have聽several including your own doc and a cardiologist.聽 You can google the different fine points of eating vs not eating before a blood test.聽 Do that?

Plus I just want to ask: is this your first cholesterol test...ever?聽 If not, how does it compare to previous tests?聽 Did you fast for those?聽 Erm...maybe compare and contrast?

My cholesterol has been over 220 my whole life.聽 In spite of that, I've been told I have the blood values of people who live to 100 because my HDL is quite high, my LDL very low.聽and my triglycerides are almost unbelievably low - usually between 30 and 40, with one hit at 22 and one at 50.聽 Funny enough, and in line with the more modern take that lipid values have more to do with metabolic syndrome than fat consumption, I eat loads of fats but聽my carb intake is naturally limited as I'm not a bread/rice/pasta/grain/potato聽fiend.聽 My carb sources are mostly fruit, beans and starchy veg like winter squash or sweet potatoes.聽I haven't done that on purpose, it's just my taste.聽聽

eta:聽 my all time high triglyceride level of 50 wasn't reached til I lived here for a couple of years and was relying a bit too much on bread for convenience sake (eg it's easy to slap together a sandwich in the morning, especially when the bread here is so good).聽 I started cutting back on baked goods聽and my last test came in at 38 again.聽 Maybe coincidence, but maybe not.聽 I am not worried about it so I don't care.聽 But if you do care, maybe worth experimenting with that.聽聽

2 minutes ago, balticus said:

Just to clarify - are you suggesting that butter is bad?

No, I think butter is fine.聽 聽Good quality butter is聽something wonderful to be enjoyed in small amounts, like good cheese.聽 Rather than just poor quality stuff stuffed down, with no consideration of the exhausting process the cow has gone through.聽

Really interesting to hear your experience Lisa. 聽I think your info is聽spot on. 聽I also have extremely high HDL and thus can't ever get below 200. 聽Last time my doctor saw the HDL she went WOW - haven't seen it that high before - fantastic!聽 We聽also follow your carb protocol. 聽I think that the bread/pasta/potato/pizza fad in the US has probably been a significant contributor聽to the obesity epidemic. 聽聽聽

30 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Really interesting to hear your experience Lisa. 聽I think your info is聽spot on. 聽I also have extremely high HDL and thus can't ever get below 200. 聽Last time my doctor saw the HDL she went WOW - haven't seen it that high before - fantastic!聽 We聽also follow your carb protocol. 聽I think that the bread/pasta/potato/pizza fad in the US has probably been a significant contributor聽to the obesity epidemic. 聽聽聽

yeah!聽 I was going to put that in my post but decided to leave it out:聽 it's uncanny how the "new" extremely carb heavy food pyramid was introduced in the US and the obesity crisis seems to have exploded almost in lock step with that?

Granted there are many US specific considerations that go far beyond dietary recommendations, but fully aside from that there is a lot of evidence that out of whack lipid values are very much indicative of metabolic syndrome, which is not a fat problem, it's a carb problem.聽 The net result is heart attacks and diabetes, but the fixation is still on fats (in the popular view).聽 I only discovered these things when I actually looked into it as it's pretty hard for a doc to say "ohhhh you eat too many fats" - erm, yeah, then why do you also say my bloods are soooooo unusually good?聽 I was curious as to how that could be!

maybe luck, but maybe not?聽 There is some really interesting research out there.聽 I've enjoyed learning more about it (as I'm just a curious geek) and I can recommend Peter Attia (especially - he's one of those careful eating, super fit surgeons聽who still ended up with all the markers of metabolic syndrome) and Jason Fong (a nephrologist who started observing some key factors and responses among his diabetic patients) for those who are interested in hearing an alternate viewpoint from people with rigorous (and medically qualified) minds.聽 I personally don't think most people should go keto or take intermittent fasting to extremes.聽 But the basis for a lot of their findings is with people who have more extreme health problems so...make of that what you will.

On 29/01/2020, 21:18:04, snowingagain said:

No, I think butter is fine.

I also think butter is ok, provided is not too much.

But I also read zillions of stories from Dr and nutritionists reminding us that nowadays most people are overweight,聽 consume too much food, especially too much fat and animal fat, too much salt sugar. And too little fresh fruit and veg.

I also think the debate on more carb or less carb is overrated. In my opinion the biggest point should rather be: more fresh veg, less fat salt sugar.聽