Cholesterol values - question for the Doctors

83 posts in this topic

How do you know who you can trust if you know nothing about the topic?

I "trust" my doc but he has given be very bad advice which did not at all check out against personal research on a number of occasions.  You need a hysterectomy! No worries!  No side effects!  Complete bullshit!  :)  Other times his proposals are solid and do check out.  What to do?  He was never condescending and didn't try to ban me from his practice for choosing a different solution, but the fact remains...trust vs actual knowledge is not totally interchangeable.

Sometimes a second or third opinion is all it takes, but I don't know how you can cross-reference advice if you, personally, know nothing about it unless you're just holding out for the answer you want to hear :/

32 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

that would be strange as normally guidelines are developed based on empirical evidence

Remember that we are talking about Big Pharma here Lisa!  What are their incentives?  🤷‍♀️  Just sayin'.

(for the record, I vaccinated my kids when we were living in West Berlin in the late 80s and the Germans were against vaccinations at that time - so it's not like I discount everything 😂)

My situation is also that I have a partner who understands higher level statistics and has found many a physician's information concerning mammograms, colonoscopies, osteopenia ratings, and cholesterol levels (to name a few) to be inadequate.  We are not into conspiracy theories, but we believe it's useful to question things and get second opinions.  Of course, having a highly statistically literate partner is helpful.

13 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

13 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

... get your self fit... 

I no longer win marathons but I'm still fitter today at 46 than most healthy sporty fit-looking male ever are in their life.

23 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

How do you know who you can trust if you know nothing about the topic?

I "trust" my doc but he has given be very bad advice which did not at all check out against personal research on a number of occasions.  You need a hysterectomy! No worries!  No side effects!  Complete bullshit!  :)  Other times his proposals are solid and do check out.  What to do?  He was never condescending and didn't try to ban me from his practice for choosing a different solution, but the fact remains...trust vs actual knowledge is not totally interchangeable.

Sometimes a second or third opinion is all it takes, but I don't know how you can cross-reference advice if you, personally, know nothing about it unless you're just holding out for the answer you want to hear :/

Valid points.  But we face this in everything.  I mean I can't make the best decisions about where to invest or what computer to buy, or ...  because it's not my field of expertise.  So I ask other people that I respect and trust and I gather info and work from there.  Managing healthcare information is no different, but it's sometimes more important.  My friends trust me about what I know and trust me to tell them what I don't know!

4 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

I no longer win marathons but I'm still fitter today at 46 than most healthy sporty fit-looking male ever are in their life.

You made the point earlier that you are very fit.  That's for sure not a problem!

8 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Then where is your problem?

15 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

15 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Maybe there isn't any.

Just I'm surprised the values are slightly off than the optimum and I'd like to know what this means.

I thought this is/was exactly the original post. Was it not?

28 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

1... Go back to your doctor.. demand loads of tests... get your self fit... 

He is fit.  He stated that.

28 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

The outcome of doing #2... you will die un-healthy...

AFAIK you are not qualified to make such a statement.  

27 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Remember that we are talking about Big Pharma here Lisa!  What are their incentives?  🤷‍♀️  Just sayin'.

oh for goodness sake.  just sayin'

I guess we should all just take some herbs or something.

Give up butter, eat oats every day, use olive oil, increase the amount of oily fish in your diet , along with beans, any type. The cholesterol numbers will come crashing down, way under 200. it's that simple.

Just now, Wasteland said:

Give up butter, eat oats every day, use olive oil, increase the amount of oily fish in your diet , along with beans, any type. The cholesterol numbers will come crashing down, way under 200. it's that simple.

are you qualified to make such a statement-?

Not sure anyone here is interested but just to add...

The values I got already contained a statement from the Dr, something like "...blabla value slightly elevated, no need for any pharmaceutical stuff..."

I'm not worried (not yet at least). But I'm very curious.

24 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Are you a qualified health adviser?

Qualified health professional who is off to drink some herbal tea and lower my BP.  Tomorrow is a new day!

Oh boy. Soon we will have to acquire a TT special certificate to attest that we are qualified to make any sort of statement. I nominate ElJeffo to do the carefully worded wording. Now who could do the artwork?

19 hours ago, Gambatte said:

Cholesterin in Serum: 242 (optimum: less than 200)

HDL-Cholesterin im Serum: 77 (optimum: more than 60)

LDL Cholesterin (direktmess.): 161 (optimum: less than 130)

Tryglicerdide im Serum: 208 (optimum: less than 150)

Glukose im Pharma: 104 (optimum: 74-99)

What to make of it?:blink:

You have absolutely nothing to worry about.  Am pushing 60 and for the past 20 years I've been more or less in a similar '"too-high" zone as yours and haven't keeled over yet.  As long as you keep physically active, stay off the junk food and don't overdo it on the booze, you're fine. 

13 hours ago, Gambatte said:

Not sure anyone here is interested but just to add...

The values I got already contained a statement from the Dr, something like "...blabla value slightly elevated, no need for any pharmaceutical stuff..."

I'm not worried (not yet at least). But I'm very curious.

Have you considered some products that help to lower cholesterol?

You can get replacement products for butter, cooking oil etc. which could help.  As well as Benecol Jogurt drinks.

These might help to keep the levels down.

But in the end, if the doctor hasn't said that you need to change your lifestyle and diet, and so long as you are aware of the issue and monitor it and it stays manageable, then you should be OK.

BTW:  It might have been helpful to mention that you already spoke to the doctor and were looking for others opinions!

Well, I am not surprised that my suggestion to ignore the test results met with 

derision and disdain from some sides. It took me a while to convince my family members,

that I was coming off the statins.

But they support me now.

I won't start a page by page, blow by blow battle to convince anyone.

However, as some have already noted - the jury is out on this one.

Just one link - to show willing: 

NHS reports: Study says there's no link between cholesterol and heart disease

They report here, in an easy to digest form, that a series of meta studies 

(that's studies using data provided by previous studies)

can't confirm all the bad headlines. 

The NHS line, as I read it, is  pretty much "its not as clear cut as most reporting"

The information is out there - and not just on the internet.

I already suggested a book and a German TV documentary.

ARD and ARTE are hardly known for airing conspiracy packaged as facts.

Best advice I can offer for anyone affected by this controversy is to

keep an open mind,

read up as much as possible,

then talk to as many professionals as you can,

asking the questions that your research throws up.

Then, make your own decisions about how you want to look after yourself.

Good Health !

23 hours ago, Gambatte said:

have the healthiest nutrition (most people would say the most boring)

If you are looking for a factor you can control, add more variety. Use different types of whole grains, different protein sources, different red/green/orange veg, so you  never eat the same thing 2 days in a row. Add in more foods - seeds (wide variety), nuts, etc.

But although a healthy diet can help, even then, you will never get back the body (and its "optimum" blood values) you had at 20: 

"After age 20, the plasma total cholesterol concentration increases progressively, and in men reaches a plateau between the ages of 50 and 60 years...The triglyceride concentration increases progressively in men, reaching peak values between 40 and 50 years of age, and then declining slightly thereafter."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3544833

Obviously, since most of the cholestrol is manufactured by your body:

https://www.healthline.com/health/where-is-cholesterol-found#sources

I think there should be no expectation that one can (or should) maintain the values one had at 20. (assuming a healthy lifestyle, which it sounds like you are already). "Slightly" off the values should be good! Same as your fitness - you can't win the marathon anymore, you have to be content to measure yourself relative to your age group.

5 hours ago, silty1 said:

You have absolutely nothing to worry about.  Am pushing 60 and for the past 20 years I've been more or less in a similar '"too-high" zone as yours and haven't keeled over yet.  As long as you keep physically active, stay off the junk food and don't overdo it on the booze, you're fine. 

I know old people who smoked their entire adult life and are still alive; therefore if you smoke, keep it up, it won't kill you.  You have absolutely nothing to worry about.