Movie translation

10 posts in this topic

Greetings all

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but...

Has anyone seen Force 10 from Navarone (1978 Harrison Ford Robert Shaw)?
About 3/4 the way through the movie there's a scene where Major Mallory (Robert Shaw) and Sgt Miller (Edward Fox) are appropriating some explosives from a German warehouse. Miller takes a hand cart from a German soldier and the soldier tells him off (in German). Miller gives him the finger and this sets the German soldier off again.

I'm curious to know what the German soldier said to Miller, if anyone can translate it.

Thanks in advance

19 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

That's pretty obscure - is there a clip of the scene online you can link to?

No, I think he/she is expecting you go out, buy the movie maybe only available on VHS, dig out your old VHS player or buy one, watch the movie - do the translation - and get back to him with an answer.

Otherwise you are not being helpful

I an trng to find that xlip if i an find it i will translate and post it here.

I found a link (free, with Arabic sub titles!!). The scene is at 1:23.

https://ok.ru/video/330508339761

On 1/23/2020, 9:36:58, franklan said:

If you hammer "Force 10 from Navarone script" into google, you get this link... :-)

https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=force-10-from-navarone

That was a good idea, and I checked it out, and found the dialog, but there was no German dialog.

Thanks again!

The German guard has a pretty good accent, but the German isn't entirely grammatically correct. Here's what I made out:

"Das ist meine Karre, besorg' dir gefälligst selber eine. Hier kann doch jeder kommen. Du bist hier schließlich nicht zu Hause. Ich bin seit 6 Uhr früh hier." (gets flipped off...). Du mich auch und zwar kreuzweise du kurzarschige Type [sic]. Wenn nich soviel von euch wäre [sic], hätte ich dich [sic] längst die Fresse eingeschlagen."

"That's my handcart, get your own. Anyone can come here. You're not at home, after all. I've been here since 6 a.m." (gets flipped off...). Fuck you too, sideways, you short-ass guy. If there weren't so many of you, I'd punch you in the face."

On 2/11/2020, 7:54:22, El Jeffo said:

The German guard has a pretty good accent, but the German isn't entirely grammatically correct. Here's what I made out:

"Das ist meine Karre, besorg' dir gefälligst selber eine. Hier kann doch jeder kommen. Du bist hier schließlich nicht zu Hause. Ich bin seit 6 Uhr früh hier." (gets flipped off...). Du mich auch und zwar kreuzweise du kurzarschige Type [sic]. Wenn nich soviel von euch wäre [sic], hätte ich dich [sic] längst die Fresse eingeschlagen."

"That's my handcart, get your own. Anyone can come here. You're not at home, after all. I've been here since 6 a.m." (gets flipped off...). Fuck you too, sideways, you short-ass guy. If there weren't so many of you, I'd punch you in the face."

Outstanding! Thanks so much! For years I've wondered what he said. Mystery solved!!

I just listened to the scene myself (I'm fluent with German relatives) - Jeffo got the content right. The actor actually might be German, as his grammar was fine, and he had a Northern German accent (sounded like Hannover). He was speaking unusually slowly and in an very emphasized manner, which is probably what the movie guys wanted to make it sound hateful. It actually sounds a bit funny. ;)