Krankenversicherung for Schüler over 18

4 posts in this topic

Hi Toytown Germany,

Greetings from Freiburg. My son has been "Freiwillig Versichert" with TK since coming to Germany as minor a couple of years ago. I tried to get him covered under Familienversicherung through my work, but he was denied family coverage because his father (who lives in Canada) earns more than the maximum allowed for gesetzliche Versicherung. This has cost us 180 euros a month, which is quite a chunk of change, but all the lawyers in the world couldn't get TK to change it. Only a legal divorce would allow the kid to be covered under my plan, and that's not happening. 

However, the boy turned 18 in October. He went to TK to see if he could get a lower rate, but he was told that there is nothing they can do. He can only be covered under Freiwillig Versicherung. ("Freiwillig" my ass!)  I don't understand this. He is an adult. He is an Schüler with no income. Can anyone confirm for me that this is true? I see that there are much lower rates for Berufsschüler and Studenten. He is doing his Abitur this year in a Wirtschaftsgymnasium. 

I would appreciate any feedback. The good folks at TK have been useless to us since we moved here. 

39 minutes ago, YouChick said:

I tried to get him covered under Familienversicherung through my work, but he was denied family coverage because his father (who lives in Canada) earns more than the maximum allowed for gesetzliche Versicherung. This has cost us 180 euros a month, which is quite a chunk of change, but all the lawyers in the world couldn't get TK to change it.

I don't think TK had any choice in the matter. Eligibility is determined by the law as set out in §10 SGB V: 

(3) Kinder sind nicht versichert, wenn der mit den Kindern verwandte Ehegatte oder Lebenspartner des Mitglieds nicht Mitglied einer Krankenkasse ist und sein Gesamteinkommen regelmäßig im Monat ein Zwölftel der Jahresarbeitsentgeltgrenze übersteigt und regelmäßig höher als das Gesamteinkommen des Mitglieds ist; bei Renten wird der Zahlbetrag berücksichtigt.

Source: §10 SGB V

I don't understand this. He is an adult. He is an Schüler with no income. Can anyone confirm for me that this is true? I see that there are much lower rates for Berufsschüler and Studenten. He is doing his Abitur this year in a Wirtschaftsgymnasium. 

AFAIK there are no special rules for Schüler, only for Sudenten (§245 SGB V).

I would appreciate any feedback. The good folks at TK have been useless to us since we moved here. 

Try @Starshollow or @john g..

These "cracks" in the system here can be infuriating. It reminds me of when my son turned 6 and still had 6 months before Einschulung so no Schülerfahrkarte and there are no Monatskarten for 6 year olds in Berlin. Best of luck with your situation OP.

with his rate of "Freiwillige Versicherung" he is already at the bottom of the price range for public health insurance, regardless whether he is a child living with the parent (and correctly denied the status of dependent family member, I am afraid) or as an adult all by himself. The only lower rate available than what you have been paying is if he inlists as a student at a German university.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.