Finding a truly quiet apartment around Munich

23 posts in this topic

In the next few months, I'm finally going to get out of my furnished flat here in Munich and start looking for a permanent place.  Here's the thing, I actually really like and need quiet for my sanity, and not just quiet surroundings, but quiet neighbors who respect the quiet hours and are considerate. I like to read, meditate, I don't have TV, and I very rarely listen to music.  I'm just a quiet person and want to live next to quiet people!  Surely there is someone out there who appreciates quiet as well?

Does anyone have any advice for finding a truly quiet place?  My work is off the S7/S3 sbahn.  Amenities are not as important to me, so if there is no grocery story or coffee shop nearby, that doesn't really matter to me.  When I look on immoblienscout, houses are just too expensive to rent for one person.  Should I visit nearby villages and look for local papers, to find older folks looking to rent parts of their houses?  Should I expect to get a car and move to the country?  Do I need to look for a building built after a certain year to find good soundproofing?  Any ideas out there?  

Thank you in advance for all the help!

Stay away from things that make noise.  People, vehicles, industrial sites, runways, farm animals.  Maybe search for a property adjacent to a forest or a crop farm.  Finding the absence of noise is not easy.

most noise comes from neighbors.  I don't know of any way to protect yourself against that.  A newer build helps but it's not perfect.  Eg my 1998 building is fairly well insulated from a sound perspective, but kids playing, people watching a game on TV, having a party, etc...it doesn't protect against that completely, just dulls it.

moving to the country sounds great, til you get there and have to listen to all the farm machines running most of the day ;)

S7 to the south? Try an area adjacent to a park or forest in Ottobrunn or Neubiberg. Much quieter than Munich and no farm noises, and you still have every you may need close by - no car necessary. It’s not cheaper than Munich, though. 

If you do not want farm noise and church bells etc.  Please do not move anywhere close to these and complain. I think the same also goes for smells. I am not sure this meets Original post, but I think this is good general advice. 

21 minutes ago, Farm girl said:

If you do not want farm noise and church bells etc.  Please do not move anywhere close to these and complain. I think the same also goes for smells. I am not sure this meets Original post, but I think this is good general advice. 

This sort of thing you get used to though and it ends up being part of the attraction I find.

In the USA there are private senior communities where basically no children, pets, or loud people are allowed to live or visit. Basically anyone under 50 years old is not allowed. Is there anything equivalent in Germany?  Compared to the USA my neighbors in Germany have been wayyy more quiet and the building better insulated from noise.. the paper thin construction of usa houses is just awful for condos and apartment complexes...

Most of the time though, it's just the luck of draw regarding neighbors, building quality, and lifestyles. Anyone who engineers the best sound insulation will make a ton of money...

The worst neighbors are the ones that love the bass woofers.. there is no technology out there than can block that range of sound...

8 minutes ago, wien4ever said:

In the USA there are private senior communities where basically no children, pets, or loud people are allowed to live or visit. Basically anyone under 50 years old is not allowed. Is there anything equivalent in Germany? 

I doubt it.

Have you seen the outcry when a restaurant or whatever has a no kids policy.

19 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Have you seen the outcry when a restaurant or whatever has a no kids policy.

However,  there are numerous offers for vacations (in warmer climes) that are "adult only" i.e. no kids.

The reviews in places such as holidaycheck are not negative in this respect.

By "adult only"  there is no indication that anything "smutty" is involved.

For Munich there is this map: http://maps.muenchen.de/rgu/laermminderungsplan  Does anybody know similar for surrounding? As for apartment choice I think the one build in past 15 years have rather good isolation. Then prefer apartments on the last floors as then you won't have neighbors above. Keep away from busy streets. You can target neighborhoods with retired people, but then houses will be much older. Perhaps it's a good idea anyway. I used to live in such neighborhood in Munich, far away from major roads, where most of neighbors were retired and houses were build perhaps in 80' additionally I had corner apartment and nobody above me. It was very quiete there. I see that it is green on the above noise map. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Geigenbergerstra%C3%9Fe,+81477+M%C3%BCnchen/@48.0795158,11.5101405,1212

-- edit

I have found such map for Bayern, but even if you select all sources of noise it will indicate only the areas with very high nose level:

https://www.umweltatlas.bayern.de/mapapps/resources/apps/lfu_laerm_ftz/index.html?lang=de

Thank you so much for all of your comments, yes I think a more modern apartment would be better.  My current place is from the 1960s and it's terrible for sound insulation, but my last apartment was from the 90s and it was much better.  As for farm noises or church bells this wouldn't bother me at all.  I grew up on a farm, and I'm a church-goer myself so I find the bells to be a beautiful sound.  

Does anyone know if renovation would make it more soundproof, or does that normally only mean that they have updated the interior?  I dream of someday owning my own house and garden but in Munich this seems like an impossibility. =(

I guess they rarely improve sound isolation between apartments when renovating houses. So I would say no.

Yeah that's what I was thinking,  so I will look for a top floor apartment, in a newer building in a village.  It seems like it takes some persistence and a bit of luck in Munich to find the right place.  (or loads of money) Thank you everyone!

Generally, if you live in an apartment with normal neighbours, then a certain amount of noise is to be expected. Purely physics, in the way sound propagates through solids. Retrofitting soundproofing to a standard you might be satisfied with will be exorbitant. Noise cancellation headphones/ear buds might be an alternative solution?

The people who previously owned my apartment put sound proofing insulation into the walls of their bedroom because the neighbours were too loud. I don't know the details of how the renovation for that would work. Perhaps you could find a landlord willing to accommodate this? Just an idea.

A friend of mine is a sound engineer and makes wall decor for homes which reduce noise travelling in the home. Perhaps this is also something to look into in the realm of soundproofing your apartment.

7 minutes ago, Karly said:

... Perhaps you could find a landlord willing to accommodate this? J...

Sorry, but I don't see a landlord willing to spend 1,000s of Euros for renovation costs on accommodating the needs of 1 person, even if they could charge them more rent. 

Especially not when the market greatly favours the landlord.

1 hour ago, Boggsdollocks said:

Generally, if you live in an apartment with normal neighbours, then a certain amount of noise is to be expected. Purely physics, in the way sound propagates through solids. Retrofitting soundproofing to a standard you might be satisfied with will be exorbitant. Noise cancellation headphones/ear buds might be an alternative solution?

Yeah I already study and sleep with noise cancelling headphones.  It's my only choice at this point as when the door to the house is shut it ends up shaking the whole house.  I made the mistake in choosing a house built in the 60s (I didn't really know what I was getting into) but luckily it's only a 6 month rental.