Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tax refund specific questions

2 posts in this topic

Hi, I know there are a ton of topics on this but I want to ask because I don't want to make a mistake following instructions and end up losing this money.

My specific situation is that I'm a PhD student who started in March 2019; technically I am employed by the university as a research assistant for the purposes of my pay.

When I moved here, I had a lot of issues related to registration and getting a tax ID (It took longer than expected), so the first 3 months of my pay were taxed at a much higher rate than was supposed to.

My employer tells me that I "just have to fill out a tax refund" and I'll get back the approx. 1500 EUR that I was over-taxed for. Since I am a computational biologist, I also had to buy two computers (laptop as well as a powerful desktop for simulations. This is mostly a work machine even though it has 'gaming' components, I needed the power for the suite of computational tools I run), and apparently I can claim back the tax here too. Given the price of these items, I would love to claim back if I could. My receipts are electronic so I imagine I will need print-outs of these.

I've done tax refunds before back home for work related expenses, so the computers shouldn't be much of an issue. But I am really worried about the stuff I was over-taxed for, since it represents a sizeable amount of money and I've been squeezed for budget all last year as a result. (I really wish my employer had found a way to not tax me that high), and my New Zealand student loan repayment is coming up in March.

Anyway, I really could use some specific help here pertaining to the over-tax - when I landed I was scammed out of 1200 Euros because of me misunderstanding things and I'm currently on a knife edge financially.

Apologies for being so needy.

As you didn’t have a tax identification number your employer was legally obliged to class you in tax bracket 6. I would suggest you contact your local tax office and explain your situation to them, perhaps they can backdate your tax bracket to your first day of work. Your employer must act on the information they receive from the tax office so they are the people you need to contact.

You may get a tax refund on your computers but this will be in 2021m after you have submitted your tax return for 2020.