Sozialversicherungsausweis

6 posts in this topic

Beloved employer wants a copy of my “Sozialversicherungsausweis” (social security card).

I’m pretty sure I never got one, but possibly I’ve lost it. I would easily believe my first employer here back in the day kept it unwittingly or something.

how to get a replacement? Do I go to deutsche Rentenversicherung and just ask for one? Or the health insurer?

There was a change in the law in 1989 after which all working people were issued with a Sozialversicherungsausweis. You have to show this document to your new employer each time you change jobs. 

On 1/18/2020, 7:50:00, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

There was a change in the law in 1989 after which all working people were issued with a Sozialversicherungsausweis. You have to show this document to your new employer each time you change jobs. 

I'm glad I applied for a "replacement"! I'm nigh on 100% I never actually got this and/or my first employer here "swallowed" it.

@White Rose of Yorkshire also no employer has ever asked me for it up till now in all 6 odd years!!!

I was never asked for it in my last two jobs - just had to give them the number.  I probably had to hand it over for my first job as a new immigrant but I'm not even sure about that.  

now I need to look to see if I have it :)

5 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

now I need to look to see if I have it :)

Do it. As a German you should feel an ache in your heart until you know you have that paperwork snuggled up like Baby Yoda safe and sound at home.