Willkommensklasse or Private Intl. School?

3 posts in this topic

We're moving to Berlin in February 2020. It's proving difficult to find a spot mid-year for my son (8 years old) in an international school for him, so I'm considering the Willkommensklasse at a public school. I'd love to hear opinions on the Willkommensklasse vs. a private school given my son speaks no German at the moment.  Thanks if you can help

18 minutes ago, tysonar1 said:

I'd love to hear opinions on the Willkommensklasse vs. a private school given my son speaks no German at the moment. 

Private school.

The public school system in Berlin is for the most part terrible (unless you can get a spot in one of the city's elite public schools) and there is a shortage of teachers. Theoretically, all children have a right to education and a spot in the public school system, however, the reality is that many children wait weeks or months before the city can find a spot in a Wilkommensklasse for them. Children are grouped together by approximate age, regardless of ability.

Where will you be living? If you're going to be in or around Charlottenburg (Westend) or Zehlendorf, you could try to get a spot at Charles Dickens or Quentin Blake, respectively. Kids who are English-only attend some classes with a regular class and get lots of German tutoring on the side. Once they get his German up to speed (you should plan on private lessons and study, as well), he could join a regular bilingual class there - maybe even by this fall.

Since you're American American, you might also ask whether the John F. Kennedy School in Zehlendorf has a spot - if they do, they'll admit your son straight away at first, without any German skills.