Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

VAT threshold

6 posts in this topic

I am thinking of relocating back to Germany.  As I am now self-employed, the issue making this impossible is the low VAT threshold, as it would essentially mean a 20% reduction in my income.  

However, I was wondering how my specific situation relates to this.   I sell my software to customers all over the world and only a portion of my income comes from German customers (less than 22k, which I understand is the current threshold).

So my question is, if I had yearly sales beneath the threshold for each EU member state, could I operate as non-VAT registered? 

What about sales from the rest of the world (mainly north america)?  How would that affect things?

Or is it my total income which is the deciding factor?

Of course before deciding for sure I would speak to accountant, but if anyone has any initial info on this topic it would be appreciated

Thanks for any help

1 hour ago, audioboy77 said:

However, I was wondering how my specific situation relates to this.   I sell my software to customers all over the world and only a portion of my income comes from German customers (less than 22k, which I understand is the current threshold).

No, sorry - the turnover limit is 17,500€ per year (The number has been mentioned hundreds of times on TT and is also in the FAQ, it really helps to use the search function).

1 hour ago, audioboy77 said:

So my question is, if I had yearly sales beneath the threshold for each EU member state, could I operate as non-VAT registered? 

The turnover limit applies to all sales taxable turnover. I don't know how good your German is - this one gives you an overview (but in German): https://wirelesslife.de/umsatzsteuer-digitale-leistungen/

Otherwise you will have no other choice than to have a tax consultant explain this to you in detail.