Salary per month for family

60 posts in this topic

Space preferences are culture and family specific.  But you do need to know what the formula is with the authorities on how much space per person is required.  And then you need to get proper health insurance.  And you need to have all your ducks in a row and be very organized.  

OH BOY! Thanks for all the replies and help! Let's end this conversation!! Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, eemk said:

OH BOY! Thanks for all the replies and help! Let's end this conversation!! Thanks again!

We aren't here to make you feel bad, just reality. It applies to all of us. I'm a dual citizen and don't expect any help from the German government if and when I return... If you wanted us to say "sure, 2000EUR is PLENTY, don't worry come on over" you should've just said so. :) 

Nope, not saying that, i just found the previous answer of "bring your children into poverty" a bit silly. :)

Just now, eemk said:

Nope, not saying that, i just found the previous answer of "bring your children into poverty" a bit silly. :)

It was mean.  Just let it go and gather info so you can make the best decision possible.

Just now, eemk said:

with the income you are looking at you will be living in cramped quarters, with little to nothing to live off. It is what it is. I'd go back to the drawing board. 

What are your qualifications? Your wife's qualifications? Your legal status in the country? All that is important to know BEFORE you go. 

2 minutes ago, eemk said:

It may sound drastic, but this is the reality. 1500€ net are little even for one person in Munich. 

@Konstanz yes, that's the only thing I can do so will just keep researching. Not in a hurry to be honest as well. Where ever faith takes you!

Thanks everyone.

23 minutes ago, eemk said:

Really? This was written 2 years ago. The cost of living has since increased.

Grundlage des Armutsberichts bildet vor allem eine Befragung zur sozialen und gesundheitlichen Lage in München, bei der auch die Haushaltseinkommen ermittelt wurden. Daraus errechneten die städtischen Statistiker eine Armutsrisikoschwelle: Bei einem Einpersonen-Haushalt sind es 1350 Euro, bei einem Haushalt mit zwei Erwachsenen sind es 2025 Euro, bei einer Familie mit einem Kind unter 14 Jahren 2430 Euro.

Source:

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/muenchen/armutsbericht-die-zahl-der-armen-muenchner-ist-drastisch-gestiegen-1.3752826

But you obviously know better.

5 hours ago, eemk said:

For the 100sq m apartment, I thought legally it was around 12sq m for each person so four people 48? so round to 50sqm..

I didnt know there was a legal requirement of how much space a family needs.

7 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

I believe there is.  You have to show that you have enough space to house your family. You can't have 10 people in a little room.  It was part of our information provided for the residency visa checklist.  

9 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

According to https://www.anwalt.de/rechtstipps/wie-viele-personen-duerfen-in-einer-mietwohnung-wohnen_153702.html some courts in Germany have concluded it's 8-10 sq m per Person.  People on Hartz 4 can get up to 45 - 50 sq m for the first person and an extra 15 for each person or child above that.

Aside from that there's the question about finding housing to rent in the first place. It's not easy near Munich and likely the landlord will prefer to rent to a person who makes more money, isn't in the probation period and doesn't have visa issues should they lose their job. Maybe the relative can arrange housing though.

Also don‘t forget that As an American thanks to FATCA you are toxic to most banks. And two grand  Brutto  in Munich won‘t be much of a fun ride for a single person.

8 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

But if wife is working as well earning 2000 gross between them that will do.

Don't really want to rain on your parade, but if both are working, they'll need even more cash to pay the babysitter / KiTa / cresh.

Just sayin'

From a BAMF (immigration ministry) paper that I ever since lost in internet, I read that for a couple, the minimum living cost requirement excluding rent is €730/month. Each kid under 6 is €236/month. On top of that is the rent that would be about 95-100 sqm for four person family, which in and around Munich could be about €1200/month. So you're looking at 1200 + 730 + (2*236) = 2402 minimum net salary to get the family reunification visa approved. Personally to me that's very low, I think that's not a good job offer.