Salary per month for family

58 posts in this topic

Good day everyone!

I read lots of posts on here and just need a bit more guidance.

Long story short, I have a family of four (that's including me) so wife and two kids. We all live in the states and are citizens. We want to move to Germany. I might have a potential job offer from a family member and they are offering to pay 2,000euro/month GROSS. 

With that being said, I have read that for a family of four you would have to receive NETTO 1,900-2,200 to get a family reunification visa granted. Is this true? I would really like a link that is official that has some sort of information on this and or some table that shows these figures.

Also, I will have more than enough money on savings to cover all of our expenses for a few months so does that help? Finally, does anybody know what is the timeline to process family reunification visa for citizens from the states? Does one first have to wait and get six pay stubs and the apply or does this not matter as long as you have the money and place to bring them?

I'd really appreciate the help!!

You'll find it hard to support a family of 4 on 2000 gross a month. Your family member is taking the piss, sorry.

Where is this job located?

The job is located southeast of Munich it's construction. Not directly in Munich but im sure most of the time I'll be working in or around Munich and suburbs.

So really I'd be living minimum one hour away.

Like I said i'm just confused about how much money i need to legally make in order to bring over my family.

48 minutes ago, eemk said:

Long story short, I have a family of four (that's including me) so wife and two kids. We all live in the states and are citizens. We want to move to Germany. I might have a potential job offer from a family member and they are offering to pay 2,000euro/month GROSS. 

Forget it, 2000€/gross is not sufficient for a family of 4. How old are your kids?

With that being said, I have read that for a family of four you would have to receive NETTO 1,900-2,200 to get a family reunification visa granted. Is this true? I would really like a link that is official that has some sort of information on this and or some table that shows these figures.

Try a HartzIV Rechner.

Also, I will have more than enough money on savings to cover all of our expenses for a few months so does that help?

No. Your funds will eventually run out.

Finally, does anybody know what is the timeline to process family reunification visa for citizens from the states? Does one first have to wait and get six pay stubs and the apply or does this not matter as long as you have the money and place to bring them?

Theoretically they could apply here. However, you will not earn enough to support them and, therefore, they are not eligible for permits.

One is a baby the other is 5.

What is HartzIV Recher, lawyer?

6 minutes ago, eemk said:

What is HartzIV Recher, lawyer?

No, it is an app to calculate welfare benefits. You would need to earn enough that your family would not require welfare benefits.

You also need to know approximately how much you'd need to spend on rent first.

Do you have a link for this caculator and also would the governemnt take into consideration the kindergeld or that's separate regardless of how much one makes?

By the way, the plan is to have my wife work as well as we are fully aware with me just working is not enough. I see what you're saying and we are definitely not trying to go on welfare, not the plan.

1 hour ago, eemk said:

they are offering to pay 2,000euro/month GROSS. 

Just as an estimate that comes to around 1,500EUR net. Which for a familyof 4 MIGHT pay rent. I'm looking to move to Munich myself. But I only have to look out for...myself. No husband, kids, etc. so no other mouths to feed but my own - and I would under no circumstance do it at pay that low (also not really in other cities to be honest). 

Unless your wife will be working as well I would not do this. 

Also, what is the visa situation? 

LBC

Munich is the most expensive place to live in Germany.  Which extends to the whole area around Germany.  2,000 Euros a month @ 40 hours a week is not much over minimum wage.  Nett income would vary depending on your circumstances, but assuming you are married with 2 kids, pay no church tax, then it would be around 1604 per month.  ( https://www.brutto-netto-rechner.info/ )

According to this:

https://www.immowelt.de/immobilienpreise/muenchen/mietspiegel

In 2018 rent for an 80 sqm apartment in Munich cost on average 17.5 per sqm so, that would be 1,400 per month.  This is before costs (so called cold rent).  For which you probably need to add 12 - 15% more per month.  

And this size apartment would be small with 2 kids.  You would need to look at a minimum of 100 sqm.

Yes, my wife will definitely be working as soon as she arrives with the kids (her German is also good) so I do not forsee problems for employment for her. Only issues we're having is trying to figure out is..if i go alone and get the pay I mentioned will they or will they not approve the family reunification visas for the wife and kids..that's the dilema.

ALso, we know Munich is really expensive and believe me if we could avoid it we would, but most of her family is around that place and the job offer I;'d getting her family member is located around Munich so at this point no choice. Maybe if everything works out down the line we move out of Bavaria completely.

For the 100sq m apartment, I thought legally it was around 12sq m for each person so four people 48? so round to 50sqm..

1 hour ago, eemk said:

I might have a potential job offer from a family member and they are offering to pay 2,000euro/month GROSS. 

That is not much money here unless these relatives are offering to house you.  

Finally, does anybody know what is the timeline to process family reunification visa for citizens from the states? Does one first have to wait and get six pay stubs and the apply or does this not matter as long as you have the money and place to bring them?

You need to show that you have a place to live and a means of support in order to get a residency visa.  That includes proper health insurance, and that might not be as cheap, or easy, as you think.  You also need to have a place deemed large enough to fit your family in and show that you can support them before they would get a visa.  

50sqm are 538 sqft... not a lot for a family of 4...

I'm still confused as to how you will qualify for a visa/work permit. You say your wife's family. Is she a German citizen? 

Exactly.  Is she a German citizen with a family willing to help or house them and that knows the ropes?  Even then, there's a lot to thrink through.

No, she's not a German citizen. The family member is offering a job nothing else. Which is why I mentioned I'd go first so that way even if it doesn't work out, we didn't sell everything here in the states. 

6 minutes ago, LostBetweenCountries said:

50sqm are 538 sqft... not a lot for a family of 4...

Would you really like to live with your family in a 20' X 30' room?

Guys, come one, I see what you mean. I live in a 100+ sq m condo in the states now so I know how big it is and what i'm getting in to. The reunification visa would be for my wife and kids based upon my success in Germany.

Just as a note, you cannot 'just move to Germany' just like you can't just move to the US. You need a visa, a work permit, they need to show a German citizen or resident cannot do the job if they're to sponsor a visa for you. 

Until now you haven't answered how the visa is supposed to work and really, without that settled what's the use of discussing possible income? <_<

4 minutes ago, eemk said:

Guys, come one, I see what you mean. I live in a 100+ sq m condo in the states now so I know how big it is and what i'm getting in to.

Then why would you want to move to Germany to raise your children in poverty!?!?!?! :wacko: