Pipe repair in self-owned apartment

7 posts in this topic

A water pipe in my (self-owned) apartment developed a leak due to oxidation. The source of the leak is from a pipe in the wall and a few bathroom tiles needed to be remove to gain access to the leak source. The quote to repair the leak is around 600€. Damage caused by the leak will be covered by the Gebäudeversicherung. 

The Hausverwaltung has informed me that I likely need to pay for the repair because the pipe is for water entering my apartment. I had the understanding that any repairs for parts of the building that are not directly accessible (e.g., don’t require removal of tiles etc.) would be paid by the community Rücklage. 

It would be great if someone could provide some information about the determination of whether the owner pays for a repair or the community fund pays. References to any laws/regulation would be very helpful. 

Thanks a lot!

Sure you must have a booklet from the building management with all the answers to your questions... no...?

Generally speaking, but not always, association plumbing ends as it enters your unit and your ownership begins there.  The concept is that you, the owner, have no access to common areas and the association does not have access to private areas.

Shouldn´t the Gebäudeversicerung cover the cost of repair as well - not merely fixing the damage caused?

On 15.1.2020, 06:52:58, jeba said:

Shouldn´t the Gebäudeversicerung cover the cost of repair as well - not merely fixing the damage caused?

That’s what I was thinking? Any regulations stating exactly what the Gerbäudeversicherung covers or is that depending on the insurance provider?

On 14.1.2020, 09:17:49, Gambatte said:

Sure you must have a booklet from the building management with all the answers to your questions... no...?

No, the building management just said they leave it up to the insurance to determine who pays. They were not sure in this case. 

4 hours ago, Michaeljen said:

No, the building management just said they leave it up to the insurance to determine who pays. They were not sure in this case. 

Well, sounds you should/could ask the insurance then...